Premixed airbrush paint recommendations!

kiseca

Hi all! I'm sure this is a subject that has been visited in the past in some form or other, but I'm looking for current recommendations and personal preferences to give me some ideas.

Situation: I currently use Humbrol enamels and Tamiya acrylics, both of which need thinning for airbrush. they both go on well once mixed, but once mixed, the mix is done, particularly the Humbrol paints. It may last a few weeks in a container but then it separates and turns to sludge. The Tamiya acrylics are a bit better.

I also use Vallejo model air, which is much more convenient because, firstly, I can shake it and use it straight from the bottle, and secondly, it's water based so it's really easy to clean, particularly if I've mixed colours in a container. I prefer using the model air paints because of the convenience, but they tend to be a bit thick, need a higher pressure and don't quite lay down as smoothly. I've tried flow improver but, firstly, because I can't pour the left over paint back into the Vallejo container, I'd waste a lot of paint mixing to the right ratio, and secondly, it just doesn't make that much difference.

I want to move to premixed airbrush paints because I like the convenience, so my question to you all is, do you use premixed paints, and which brand would you recommend as an alternative to the Vallejo model air range, that is easily available in the UK? Preferably water based acrylics but I'll consider oil based if they give better options too.

I've googled it but the results I get tend to find the posts / articles always end up recommending something that needs thinning, like the Tamiya acrylics.

So what premixed ranges are good enough, if any? Or are the Vallejo Model Airs as good as it gets? Their metallics are brilliant. No pun intended. But the model air colours are just not as smooth to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the MRP range of acrylics and absolutely love them! So far they have all sprayed beautifully without further thinning or faffing about. Just stir them really well with an electric stirrer.

They are laquers, so are a bit smelly but not any worse than the enamels I used to use.

They dry quickly with a good smooth finish and are tough enough to mask over with confidence. They tolerate oil washes and weathering very well. Their metallics are excellent too.

Available from Premium Hobbies, HM Hobbies, and MJR models in the UK.

Can't guarantee that their colour range will cover all your needs, but they seem fairly comprehensive.

Hope that helps......

Q

• Thanks 1

I dont really like using premixed paints, I prefer the flexibility of choosing my own consistency, playing with the shades, etc... However, I have used MRP paints, and can confirm that they are excellent. So, if I had to go premix, I would choose them. I've used plenty of other paints, but none are even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I personally don't use too much of a premixed paints, I did like the Vallejo Air because of how they smell... And they spray decent too.

Yes, I am weird.

AK Interactive 'feels nice' too but their colors are a bit questionable sometimes for me.

And when it comes to making my own consistency, I tend to use acrylic airbrush mediums not the usual 'add water or alcohol' thinners. I get mine from either Liquitex or Golden.

• Thanks 1

That's great, thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll give MRP a try as well as SMS.

I've used AK Interactive's airbrush ready metals, the Xtreme Metal range I think, and find them easy to apply, easy to prepare, and good finish but they are really aggressive and I find I have to be very careful what I'm spraying them on and how I've prepared the surface. Their thinners are also very strong smelling (and the only thing I have capable of cleaning the airbrush afterwards) so I don't actually use them all that often.

The Vallejo Model Airs do have a big range of colours and they are easy to clean, so I can always fall back on them I guess, and they do indeed smell pleasant. They are good, but just to me feel like they could be perhaps pre-thinned a little more than they are at the factory.

I use both MRP and SMS and still thin both. The consistency is dependent on the distance I’m spraying from, size of line, opaqueness of layer and pressure used. It’s easier to thin than to make thicker and besides which using an eye dropper to put a bit of thinner in and mix it around is not an inconvenience ;)

• Like 1

Colour Coats enamels are excellent. They need thinning but if use their thinner then left over paint can be put back in the tin with no deleterious effects. Other than slightly thinning the paint in the tin.

I prefer to thin my paint so that I can get the right consistency for what ever method is appropriate to the effect I am seeking.

• Like 1