WASP Arrowhead Interceptor from Stingray - conversion from 1/72 PM F-5A

Following the completion of my Zombite fighter jet from Thunderbirds, I had been looking around for another (perhaps slightly easier) conversion to produce another Gerry Anderson aircraft that isn't currently available as a model. And then, when looking to add to an order from a well-known model retailer to make the postage less significant, I found a cheap deal on the PM F-5A... I know it isn't particularly well thought of as an F-5 but it made an ideal base for a conversion.

So here is my version of the WASP Arrowhead jet from Stingray - it appeared in two or three episodes, and here is a formation from TV21 magazine...

spacer.png

No WIP photos I'm afraid - however be assured it involved copious quantities of filler, some old missiles from an ancient scrapped MIG-21 from the spares box, and some home-brewed decals.

Looking at these rather unforgiving photos I notice lots of minor issues... I particularly wish I'd spent longer getting the mid-fuselage pylons to fit better... but life's too short to go back and fix the problem. And from normal viewing angles (and distances) they don't really notice :shrug:.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking,

Nige

Edited by Galligraphics
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:20 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

A great idea, it certainly looks the part for me.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

FAB!

On 4/5/2022 at 11:17 PM, saturnapollo said:

Excellent work.

9 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

It looks pretty good to me, and it's a great idea to bring some of the lesser known models back to life.

7 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Very cool!

5 hours ago, Carts said:

Standby for action! Brilliant.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate all those kind comments. :thanks:

Cheers,

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! I can totally see the origins of it as well, both in your model and in the Stingray's one! It wasn't so obvious when looking at the Stingray picture, though the tail looked familiar, but when I saw the top view of what you'd built it became very clear. Very clever work.

EDITED: Is there a thread for the Zombite build? I was looking for one but didn't find it.

Edited by kiseca
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kiseca said:

Is there a thread for the Zombite build? I was looking for one but didn't find it.

Good point - no there isn't. I might have one or two "in progress" shots in the files but I never quite got around to doing a proper build thread. If I get time I will post an RFI for it with an extended "wot I did" description.

Cheers, Nige

• Like 2