Panzer IV Ausf.B

There is something about PE and bras parts on a plastic model before paint that looks so spectacular. The amount of detail you put in this kit is awesome and shows true craftsmanship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vaoinas said:

Thanks, John.

The watering can is done all by myself. 
This photo was the inspiration for that.

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

6 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Hey, thanks, guys!

The gun breech is somewhat underwhelming in the Tristar kit. But it will hardly be seen when finished,

so I let it be. Barrel is the same Aber one that I used in my previous Pz.IV build and it is as good as you can get.

spacer.png

Gun mantlet is another detail in the kit that needs some attention. The sides should be grooved but are flush in the kit,

so I cut these out and used some thin styrene strips glued together to make the new sides. They turned out to be not as even as I would like

But I guess after the paint goes on, it doesn't show that much. I was really surprised though, there's no aftermarket option for this kit to correct the mantlet

spacer.png

The turret has its basic basket floor. The motor is from a Dragon box and so is the MG with an Aber barrel.

spacer.png

I had some Dragon early commanders cupola left over in my spares, so I used this instead of the kit one. Tristar cupola 

has no interior in it and the details aren't as sharp. The bolted strip at the rear of the turret is another story however.

Tristar provides you a straight strip for this and it is meant to be bent carefully to the curved shape. Well I can't say I didn't try but it turned out to

be the lost cause. So I used the Ausf.D part that was also in the kit - cut off the bolt heads and glued it on, but it turned out to be 

a tad too thin, so I added a thin strip of styrene on it and finally the correct number of bolt heads. There are also two bolt heads missing lower on the turret wall

so I added these as well. 

spacer.png

The turret hatches have some great detail straight out of the box, but the vision ports are opaque unfortunately. Luckily the center portion

can easily be cut out and I made some transparent vision blocks to fill these. The metal parts used here are from 

Aber set and add some additional detail.

spacer.png

The jack has been added to the fender as well.

spacer.png

And finally a watering can that I made the other day just for fun and plan to use on this tank.

spacer.png

Here's how she looks at the moment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

Hello Kristjan
First class built with super details-the watering can is the cherry on the cake 👍👍👍

MD

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, guys!

Meanwhile I managed to paint the turret interior. Didn't bother myself with it too much though

and the ugly turret ceiling and gun breech didn't lighten my spirit either. So a quick paintjob to close the thing once and for all.

spacer.png

Here are the hatches with the glass blocks replaced.

spacer.png

And the glass blocks in the commanders cupola.

spacer.png

The towing cable has been added on the backside of the hull. I used 0.7mm Karaya copper cable for this.

The cable ends are cloned from some Voyager Pz.III detailing kit. 

spacer.png

And I also redid the towing pintle bolt ends. I used 0.5mm brass rod there at first, but it seemed too thin,

so I made the new ends using 0.7mm brass rod and the bolts look much beefier now. 

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys!

Some final details here:

After gluing the turret together, the lower triangular faces didn't much meet their end, and as also

the welds were quite off, I decided to shave all the thing down to make my own welds.
Here you can see the place of the original weld that was supposed to be on the gray filled area - actually the armor

on the turret was much thinner. Also I had to fill the lower area on the left side face with a styrene strip to make it even to
match other sides.

spacer.png

I decided to replace all the hooks on the tank as well. These differed the size little bit all over the tank, but didn't catch the eye so much.

But as these were arriving anyways I decided to replace these and I must say - the 3D printed hooks look much nicer.

spacer.png

I also added the small wire to point out of the gun. I guess it was the first 

thing there to turn down the antennae, before they had the usual frame

under the gun. It was an unusual and fun detail to add, my only hope is not to break it off before the model is finished.

spacer.png

I also thought about some figures on the model, so here they are: The standing ones are straight out of the Alpine Miniatures
box and only needed a magnetic square planted in their boot. The sitting one on the other hand 
is from the Miniart kit that I had the head and the hand replaced with the Hornet ones.
It also needed its bottom and an arm to be altered with the epoxy putty to match the sitting position on the side hatch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's how she looks right before the painting stage

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!
Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
grammar
  • Like 17

Thank you, everyone.

I continue with the painting phase.

First the preparing which required a considerable amount of masking.

spacer.png

Then the primer to which I used Ammo-Mig One Shot gray primer. I also did some preshading after that.

spacer.png

This time I aim to a darker shade of panzergrau, so I used Tamiya XF-63 straight out of the jar.
For the brown I had AK RC RAL7017 Dunkelbraun, which I mixed lighter to match the gray.

spacer.png

And with the gloss clearcoat.

spacer.png

And then the decals and the dull coat were on.

The marking scheme, that I that I had in mind was 10. panzer Division in France 1940. 

The bison insignias were sprayed using the PE-masks that were kindly provided with the Tristar fret.
The diagonal yellow stripe on the left side was also replaced as I considered the Tristar decal a bit too orangey.

It all seems pretty light here on the photos. In real life the tank look much darker.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

This one is nearing to an end, so an update before it'll be finished.

All of the details and separate parts are now painted to some point, few of them still need some touch ups.
Most of the tools as well as road wheels are also glued permanently on the model and the mud and dust has been done.

It seems a bit more monotone on the photos than in real life. Or at least that's what I keep saying to myself.

Here's the thing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The figurines have a base coat on and need to get some details on them now.

The faces, like always are awful when photographed but quite okay looking in real life at a great distance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 12

That, Kritjan, is a perfect example of how to weather a tank. Just the right amount. And as for the figures. I think that you have the skin tones spot on. All in all, I'd say that you've done an excellent job.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Kristjan, I have missed so much of this build, but have now caught up. Absolutely beautiful work on this, so many nice details that you have added to this model and the painting and weathering is superb. Very well done...👍

Ed

• Thanks 1