Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1 & Hobby 2000 A-4Q, 1/72

Hi, I am joining the fun with venerable ESCI Sea Harrier FRS.1 kit in Italeri package.

Here is pic of box content:

SHAR kit

I'll be using some aftermarket goodies: Airwaves PE, Aires engine nozzles, Master pitot probe, Aztec decals set and NewWare masks. I also have old Aeroclub white metal ejection seat, but I will use spare MB Mk.10 seat from Special Hobby Mirage F.1 set with modifications.

SHAR accesories

I will also build SHAR adversary, A-4Q from Hobby 2000 A-4B kit, rebox of lovely Fujimi kit:

Skyhawk kit

And some aftermarket accesories: Eduard PE, Quickboost ejection seat, Aires wheels and NewWare masks. Decals from Aztec set will be used.

Skyhawk accesories

I hope I will be able to show some progress soon

Edited by Cummulus
  • Like 9

• Cummulus changed the title to Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1 & Hobby 2000 A-4Q, 1/72

Hi,

As usual, I started with cockpit. Ejector pin marks in SHAR cockpit needed to be filled and sanded. Well, visible ones at least.

SHAR Sidewal PM

Then I turned my attention to the ejection seat. Italeri ejection seat is rubbish. I have Aeroclub white metal seat which is much nicer, but too wide for cockpit tub. I checked my stash, and found nice extra MB Mk.10 ejection seat in Special Hobby Mirage F1 kit. Airwaves seat belts were used and some plasticard for seat top. Coat of primer will follow, than painting.

SHAR MB comparison

Thanks for watching,

Frank

• Like 5

G'day Frank,

The Italeri (nee ESCI) SHAR and GR.3s are still arguably the best in the scale. The biggest issue with them is that the outer wing station on the wing undersides have a 'hump' present which I believe is the fairing installed when the outer pylons are not installed. Not a big problem to ocvercome as it is only a matter of some sanding and re-scribing any lost panel lines. You may also need to add some material to the corresponding outer pylons as they are shaped to be installed over the hump. Otherwise, it is a noice kit and I look forward to see what you make of it

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Tidy work on the replacement seat; far nicer than that provided in the kit. Will you be moving the cockpit rear bulkhead back before installing it?

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy work on the replacement seat; far nicer than that provided in the kit. Will you be moving the cockpit rear bulkhead back before installing it?

I didn't know about this...

I 'll probably leave it as it is. To much butchering and I am afraid I will run out of time. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

The biggest issue with them is that the outer wing station on the wing undersides have a 'hump' present which I believe is the fairing installed when the outer pylons are not installed. Not a big problem to ocvercome as it is only a matter of some sanding and re-scribing any lost panel lines. You may also need to add some material to the corresponding outer pylons as they are shaped to be installed over the hump. Otherwise, it is a noice kit and I look forward to see what you make of it

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks you for your comment. I didn't know about this either. 

I have a vague idea what you are talking about, but I'll check the references. It certainly sound easy enough to do. 

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Frank

On 4/9/2022 at 5:17 AM, Pappy said:

... The biggest issue with them is that the outer wing station on the wing undersides have a 'hump' present which I believe is the fairing installed when the outer pylons are not installed. Not a big problem to ocvercome as it is only a matter of some sanding and re-scribing any lost panel lines...

When Pappy mantioned the 'hump', I didn't had a kit in hand and I didn't had a clue what he's talking about. Anyway, as Pappy said, easy job for scraper, sanding paper and some elbow grease. Humps are removed and panel lines rescribed.

SHAR bump

SHAR bump sanded

Thanks for watching,

Frank

• Like 7

19 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

That contraption is a scraper? I've never seen anything like that before.

Yes, works very well. Very useful for seams on rouned objects, like aircraft spines, drop tanks, etc.

Bought it on evil bay.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the last weekend I spent finishing this little fella:

F1

But I managed to add some details to cockpit sidewalls and paint most of the cockpit. Airwaves PE were used for instrument panel and side consoles. I will add HUD after fitting the instrument panel cover.

My eyes were tired and even more tired looking close up pictures. But in will be fine inside tiny cockpit, I guess...

SHAR IP

SHAR Seat 01

SHAR sidew

Thanks for watching,

Frank

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

some progress from last time. I finished both ejection seats and started work on Skyhawk cockpit. Fujimi cockpit is bare, so I tried to replicate padding on cockpit sidewalls and created big pouch on starboard side. Eduard PE was used for instrument panel and side consoles. I am quite satisfied with result.

Seats

Skyhawk cockpit 2

Skyhawk cockpit 1

Much more work was needed for front wheel well of SHAR. It is open when engine is not running, so some improvment was needed. Plasticard and stretched sprue were used here. I made wheel well roof and front bulkhead. It looks more busy now... Engine fan was primed with black primer and painted.

SHAR WW

SHAR Fan

All comments are welcome. thanks for watching,

Frank

Edited by Cummulus
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

Nice work on the cockpits and the seats look great. What Airwaves set did you use for the SHAR seat belts? Can't quite read the details in your pic. But they're probably unavailable these days...

Thanks,