1:48 Fairchild Republic Thunderbolt II - Warthog by GWH

Greg B

20 hours ago, hopkp said:

If the Academy kit has a 'very pronounced' shortcoming that's also a 'huge shape and position error', I find it odd - to say the least - that no-one at all has either noticed it or mentioned it thus far!

It was noticed and it was mentioned. Do you want the pic in the pm? I'm not abou to kill someone's joy in the topic 😇

On 2/22/2024 at 2:56 AM, Zacharias said:

Here is surprise evidence for you any everybody else interested in some firm facts, hope it helps a bit.

spacer.png 

As it might not be common (school) knowledge, performing such a comparison requires generating a true reference pane to even be able to start it. 

Something that did not happen here (amongst other things). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

As it might not be common (school) knowledge, performing such a comparison requires generating a true reference pane to even be able to start it. 

Something that did not happen here (amongst other things). 

Just look at the engine pylons on the built Academy kit and then at the photo of the real thing. You can't unsee it, it's so much off in the angle and it's thicc. All about bass kind of thicc.

1 hour ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Just look at the engine pylons on the built Academy kit and then at the photo of the real thing. You can't unsee it, it's so much off in the angle and it's thicc. All about bass kind of thicc.

I didn't say Academy nailed this area. 

And definitely wouldn't. 

But that should be for a different thread. 

On 2/23/2024 at 3:44 AM, Ka-Efka said:

I didn't say Academy nailed this area. 

And definitely wouldn't. 

But that should be for a different thread. 

I’m sure you’ll agree with this, I expect this thread to be about the GWH A-10. A few posters have turned it into a side-by-side comparison of the Academy kit. Even going as far a slandering the Academy kit.

• Like 4

I will say what I said before I hever the Academy kit and access to a real A-10 and I dont really have any issues with the kit. The picture people are talking about there does not as has been pointed out reference any true pane and seems to me to confuse the upper fairing angle with the lower pylon angle, but hey that enough of the Academy kit.

Lets get this back to the GWH kit please. On this I would still like to see actually plastic before I even would consider spending that amount on the kit. 

Julien

• Like 1

Like many of you, I was about to get the Academy one (sorry, sorry, I'll shut up) but the GWH kit does seem to be the end-all-be-all A-10. Especially if they make an A-model proper, eventually.

I'm aching to build a JAWS but hesitant because of the lack of good options. The Revell kit is hard to find now for some reason, & the Tamiya one is so low on detail (plus it's missing the box-antenna under the nose). A proper A model where you can choose which era you want to build would be huge. Perhaps even a new JAWS specific-kit, like I've seen other people mention?

Might just get the Academy one for now, maybe I'll eventually build every Hog kit there is.

Summer can't come soon enough, though! Looks like middle/end of June is a possible release date, at least according to 48ers preorders. Not sure how accurate that is. Gonna be a great kit though, I'm sure.

12 hours ago, Julien said:

I will say what I said before I hever the Academy kit and access to a real A-10 and I dont really have any issues with the kit. The picture people are talking about there does not as has been pointed out reference any true pane and seems to me to confuse the upper fairing angle with the lower pylon angle, but hey that enough of the Academy kit.

Lets get this back to the GWH kit please. On this I would still like to see actually plastic before I even would consider spending that amount on the kit. 

Julien

I think I get where the whole thing is coming from after looking long enough at the sprues of the Academy kit. It's the parts breakdown in that area but for something that "glaringly obvious" being mentioned so sparsely, the discussion was rather overheated IMO. I trust your judgement on this as you mentioned you worked on the real deal, as well as built the Academy kit and frankly I can't wait for my new airbrush to arrive to begin the kit :) 

Just to end this derailment - I want to apologize for being partially responsible for this discussion, it was unintended. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky Model are advertising this kit as a pre-order, so it's coming nearer :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 10:46 AM, Porkbits said:

This fellow on Hyperscale already got his (think he lives in Midwestern US):

LINK

the gentleman helped with research on the subject and was sent a sample kit apparently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I think that "The new 1:48 scale kit from Great Wall Hobby has just arrived" in the description suggests fresh delivery.

Could be they had an advanced copy or something......

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 6:04 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I think that "The new 1:48 scale kit from Great Wall Hobby has just arrived" in the description suggests fresh delivery.

A month later, and no shipping notice from MBK....must have been an advance copy then. 

Anyone received theirs yet from any source?

18 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

A month later, and no shipping notice from MBK....must have been an advance copy then. 

Yepp , other eshops received advance copies, too. Tried to get the MBK kit at the Lingen EME, but toooooooo late.... an unknown fellow modeller was faster. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Mine arrived from Lucky Model on Wednesday just gone.

Jon

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:48 PM, Bozothenutter said:

Mine arrived from Luckymodel on Friday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Hog from Hobby East last week. I'm not that A-10 literate as to know what detailed they got wrong or right, but I'm thoroughly impressed by the engineering of the kit!

All seams are hidden in panellines, there is no middle seam, it's magically gone!

If this thing fits as well as I hope it does, the buildability rivals Tamiya.

The price tag, we'll....looking at the kit and the level of details it at least won't need aftermarket to enhance the details. Correction sets might be a different story but I feel confident in building it OOB and that's a big saving . Only thing I worry a bit about are the decals....we shall see

• Like 1