1:48 Fairchild Republic Thunderbolt II - Warthog by GWH

Greg B

I’m sure they’ll both have at least one issue that requires aftermarket intervention or a blind eye turning. The key aspects contrasting the two will likely be a notable difference in cost and availability. GWH kits in my mind are dearer and quickly become harder to find. I do think there’s a place for both alongside Tamiya’s, Italeri’s, Monogram’s, Hobbyboss’s and any others I’ve forgotten in this scale.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Sebastien said:

The hobby is dead.

🙃

The hobby may not be but my wallet soon will be with all these cool new kits coming out  :deadhorse:

• Haha 2

Looks like a 21stC A-10C with all of the defensive optical bolt-ons in naked airshow mode, but without pylons. Stripped down like that it becomes obvious that some the jet's stores were more sophisticated than the actual aircraft.

Really interested in doing a toothy Barksdale Pave Penny hog in European One or the three-tone Peanut scheme, so am curious which — this GWH or the new Academy — will get there closest out of the box. (No, I'm not interested in the ancient Monogram, and these new offerings have rekindled interest in the old hog.)

Tony 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Notwithstanding the issues with the Intake Fronts/Engine fans on the Academy kit, and comparative costs here in Europe I think GWH will need to produce something extraordinary if they are going to realise meaningful sales from this kit. Time would have been better spent on a new F-105 Thunderchief family or similar IMHO (Yes, I know every kit manufacturer needs every type of aircraft model in their own catalogue but some subjects are still more marketable than others)

22 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Notwithstanding the issues with the Intake Fronts/Engine fans on the Academy kit, and comparative costs here in Europe I think GWH will need to produce something extraordinary if they are going to realise meaningful sales from this kit. Time would have been better spent on a new F-105 Thunderchief family or similar IMHO (Yes, I know every kit manufacturer needs every type of aircraft model in their own catalogue but some subjects are still more marketable than others)

I have the new Academy kit and its really very good, and not a bad price point for a new kit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

That is not a perspective issue....

IMHO it actually is. It seems to me the CAD render uses parallel projection where there is no perspective. Also the lightning of a CAD model is different from a real object. Rendering a 3D model realistically requires ray tracing. A CAD model "generates its own light", it's "fluorescent".

The problem in communication is that the audience doesn't see things the way the author of the communication media intended to show. IMHO this "CAD vs reality" communication isn't very wise because GWH hands out the bat to spank them: in the same document they show how the CAD is similar but also different from the real subject.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

IMHO it actually is. It seems to me the CAD render uses parallel projection where there is no perspective. Also the lightning of a CAD model is different from a real object. Rendering a 3D model realistically requires ray tracing. A CAD model generates its own light, it's fluorescent.

The problem in communication is that the audience doesn't see things the way the author of the communication media intended to show. IMHO this "CAD vs reality" communication isn't smart because GWH hands out the bat to spank them: in the same document they show how the CAD is similar but also different from the real subject.

Thanks I forgot about the projection!

Isometric indeed looks weird to human eyes!

Was it always known that this was another C? Are A modellers still choosing between Tamiya*, Monogram, Italeri and HobbyBoss?

* sure I’ve read that Tamiya’s represents a pre service A model.

Very nice!

Thank the Heavens above that the nose profile is spot-on. I was a tad worried about this fact upon watching at those pictures on GWH's releasement flyer on Twitter, posted here by Homebee on the fifth post. I was afraid that the nose might be as boxy as it's on the Tamiya and Hobby Boss kits I built.

Will get both the A and C versions of this kit. 

Engine fan rendering, over-complicated and with bad execution, fan blades are done in two "levels" ( 2 x 14 blades ) interlaced and with significant misalignment and with big gaps between "dents" in "spinner" and blades roots.

And wrong size and shape of depressions for screws holding spinner "cap" to the spinner base.

And atop that all those screws are utterly missing in 1/48 scale!

And there is a huge hole in the spinner, where did that hole came from?

Are those guys in GWH using some decent photo-reference or what?

From CGI it seems that fan is (again) placed too shallow, but I will wait for actually built kit before I make my final verdict.

All in all, it does not look good, so many errors just around engine fan, where else will surface other bigger or smaller errors?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Zacharias
  • Like 1