PK-502, Messerschmitt Bf/109E, 1977 Matchbox, 1/32 scale, 3 Colour Kit

Hi All,

Here is the splendid 1/32nd scale, Matchbox, Messerschmitt Bf/109E, which I hope to build out of the box as per the box top.

Following below are a couple of pics, as captured with my phone (so they're not that flash). Better pics will follow in time.

GYG2aJ5.jpg

8nrrsWM.jpg

That done, I now have an exhaust fan vent in our ensuite to clean.

So till later cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 12

Just like buses it didn't look like this kit was going to make the GB I'm just waiting for this kit to arrive and we'll have two examples being built! Best of luck Daniel I'll

be following along.

• Like 3

Just now, stevej60 said:

Just like buses it didn't look like this kit was going to make the GB I'm just waiting for this kit to arrive and we'll have two examples being built! Best of luck Daniel I'll

be following along.

Oh wow, awesome! I'm looking forward to yours arriving as well then.

• Like 1

• Daniel Cox changed the title to PK-502, Messerschmitt Bf/109E, 1977 Matchbox, 1/32 scale, 3 Colour Kit

Okay back to the 'einkel, No Messerschmitt!

Anyway after getting the kit in the mail yesterday, I've taken some more pictures of the box and it's contents for posterity, before I start cutting the plastic tomorrow.

So here are some more pictures of my new old Matchbox Messerschmitt:

dUMxId3.jpg

XXfKrHA.jpg

DwNkE33.jpg

3LThLWy.jpg

edPASXT.jpg

• Like 7

And here are some wonderful Matchbox decals, which in my experience are pretty much bomb proof if the tissue paper got lost early on. Unfortunately in this instance it's not looking good.

n7xvmAR.jpg

So if anyone has some tips on how to recover such decals, with the tissue paper stuck to them. Or can recommend another source for the original Matchbox schemes, I'm all ears.

• Like 6

Next up is the instruction sheet, front and back.

lqxhQc3.jpg

rIr9u54.jpg

Of note this kit is a pretty good rendering of the Bf 109E-4, although it is let down in the canopy area. First through the centre canopy being correct for the Gustav, but not the Emil. While the pilots head armour has also been omitted as well.

That said, I have no intentions of correcting this, since I want to build this classic kit as it was without fixing it.

• Like 7

Finally here is the colour guide.

7qZBJHb.jpg

jD2JWS4.jpg

06ymGNp.jpg

It's also worth noting that the Werk Nummer 6356 (which is intended to be used generically),doesn't actually apply to any of the schemes that Matchbox offers in this kit.

Likewise the colour call out is in error with respect to the application of RLM 70 schwarzgrün and RLM 71 dunklegrün (apparently it was RLM 74 graugrün and RLM 75 grauviolett or RLM 02 grau and RLM 71 dunklegrün) for the Adolf Galland scheme. Which depicts Galland's former  Bf 109E-4/N W. Nr. 5819, when it used by Ergänzungsgruppe Jagdgeschwader 26 (Erg.Gr./JG 26) during the spring of 1941.

I can't comment on the JG 2 scheme since I am not familiar with it, and the generic Slovakian scheme seems okay, albeit somewhat boring.

That said I am happily looking forward to trying to make this kit resemble the box top art, since I would have done the same way back when. 

Cheers All.

• Like 8

Looks good, and is reminiscent of the old Airfix 1/24 scale kit. 

As you say MB decals/transfers are very resilient. It's hit or miss though in cases where the tissue paper has stuck.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one started.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

I did love the dramatic artwork and technical drawing, saw one round a Friend's when I was at secondary school in the early 80s and just had to get one, he was building one of these but I went for the Spitfire.

Good luck with your build 

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks @GREG DESTEC Greg, if I can't get the kit ones to work, I've just ordered a Techmod set. Which will at least cover Galland's E-4/N W. Nr. 5819, if need be.

Thanks and nice work on having built that big Spitfire way back when @bigbadbadge Chris. The only big Matchbox kit I made back then was the Dauntless. While my dad had made the Spitfire, Messerschmitt, Lysander and Tiger Moth (which he rigged with via my mum's sewing kit), leaving them all of them unpainted as per the box suggestion.

• Like 2

Okay since it's Matchbox, there's no need for anything like this stuff.

7nuw824.jpg

That said since I'm all out of my old tubes of Airfix cement and Humbrol paints, to put it together and make it pretty. I'll use the following (amongst other stuff) clippers, scalpels, glue, sandpaper, polish, primer and paint.

fNDkE9q.jpg

• Like 7

I built one of these back in the day

Loved it

Made it with the cowling removeable so you could see all the engine detail....awesome!

I do recall (from basically about 40 years ago) that I did have some trouble getting the engine in correctly so the panels fitted neatly over the top with everything aligned including the prop hub

Might be related to my modelling skills but if there were any problems they were linked to stages indicated on the instructions at 1, 2, 9, 15, 16 and 17

Hope yours is trouble free! 😎

Cheers

• Like 2

Excellent photograph's Daniel especially for anyone wanting to seek out this kit it's all there to see! Mine arrived yesterday in good condition just a different colour

wing sprue to your kit,I noticed how much more refined this kit is compared to a couple of other MB 1/32 offerings certainly worthy of a re-release if Revell still have

the tooling's, I need to source decals as sadly they are beyond saving good luck I'll be following your progress.

• Like 3

On 05/04/2022 at 14:58, Daniel Cox said:

Of note this kit is a pretty good rendering of the Bf 109E-4, although it is let down in the canopy area. First through the centre canopy being correct for the Gustav, but not the Emil. While the pilots head armour has also been omitted as well.

My guess this is the legacy of  Black 12 , the Bf109E at Hendon again,   Lost the canopy centre at some point in the war when DG200 and later a a G middle section substituted.  This caught Airfix out on the 2010 1/48th kit too.

Captured-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3-DG200-i]]

Messerschmitt_Bf-109E-3-B,_Germany_-_Air

see

https://www.manstonhistory.org.uk/messerschmitt-bf109-black-12-crash-lands-manston-27th-november-1940/

Interestingly seems DG200 was a 'bitsa' and the reason why canopy was removed, 

"DG200 is seen here being flown without its cockpit canopy, which was removed (and never replaced) while the aircraft was at Hucknall to enable Wing Commander J H Heyworth, a Rolls Royce test pilot who was very tall, to fit into the cockpit."

Having peered into the cockpit of Black 6 at Hendon on an open cockpits evening, I can attest to just how small it is in reality. Not for the claustrophobic.

I never did any of the 1/32 Matchbox kits, probably as I already had the 1/24th Airfix kit

On 05/04/2022 at 14:50, Daniel Cox said:

So if anyone has some tips on how to recover such decals, with the tissue paper stuck to them.

The tissue is stuck to the glue on the backing sheet between the decals,  it may well just float off when dipped into water, try on one you are not intending to use.  I have some Skyhawk decals that are the same, I'll let you know about mine, but the seemed to be peeling off the decals when I gently pulled the tissue back and 'huffed' my breath on them to add a tiny bit of moisture..

On 05/04/2022 at 15:32, Daniel Cox said:

I can't comment on the JG 2 scheme since I am not familiar with it,

Likely 71/02 uppers, with a heavy sponge or brush applied mottle.   If I can find a pic, I'll edit it in.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-9.JG2-Yellow-5-We

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/camo/bob/9jg2_machold.jpg

"Believed to be the aircraft of Werner Machold, this 9./JG 2 Emil illustrates the heavily applied "stippled" camouflage pattern favored by the Richthofen Geschwader.  Also seen in this view is an example of one of the methods used to reduce the visibility of the white areas of the fuselage Balkenkreuz."

from

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/camo/bob/bob_camo.htm

Though it seems the Mosquito emblenm is 9/JG2

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E1-9.JG2-Yellow-8-Ru

from - https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG2-III.html

I can't find a pic of a white 4 with that emblem, but again, research and knowledge was what is available now

Here's a colour shot of a Slovak Emil though.., which I think looks rather natty

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4B-13.JG52(Slovak)-

from

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG52-Slow.html

this is listed as Galland's 5819

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-JG26-Adolf-G

I'd assume that if not being used by Galland, the Gruppenkommander chevrons would have been removed? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG26-Stab.html

Lovely to see this kit so carefully documented.

cheers

T

• Like 5

Hi Everyone,

Before I make a proper post on my progress and before I respond to @Winenut, @stevej60 and @Troy Smith, for Steve and anyone else who is building or may build this kit.

Please watch out for the peg that the prop sits on (part-22), since on my sample even with the mold parting lines removed it is a very tight fit inside part-21 in Step 1 of the instructions. Plus it is too tight a fit for the spinner backplate (part 110) in step 13 of the instructions. So it will require a little bit more sanding to reduce it's diameter to fit well and or a little reaming out of parts 21 & 110.

Also if you want to make this kit with a captive prop that can spin freely, I recommend using some plastic card to capture part-22, within part-20 in step 1 of the instructions. Just make sure to be careful to not get glue on part-22. While also making sure that the plastic card used to capture that part, doesn't stand proud of the back of part-20.

I'll post some large and very clear pictures showing this, along with the assembly and completion of Steps 1 and 2 of the instructions when I have time.

Cheers All,

Daniel. 

• Like 3

Nowhere near as fast as @stevej60's terrific progress on his build of this classic kit, mine is a considerably slower pace. That said the engine parts for steps 1 and 2 in the instructions, have been cleaned up for assembly (trimmed, scraped, sanded and polished). Since before going forward, I want to make sure that all the mold parting lines are cleaned up and any scratches, sink marks and any other blemishes if potentially visible are addressed.

That done I have placed these parts out for a happy snap, before I carry on with assembly.

QKs4sKp.jpg

Also please ignore the bits of fluff, on parts 5, 6 and 25, that I didn't remove before I captured the above image.

• Like 6

Hi All,

So far I have just completed the cleanup and assembly all of the engine subassemblies for painting, from steps 1 & 2 in the instructions.

Unfortunately being ham-fisted, I first got glue run off, on the reduction gear housing (see pictures below), while trying to photograph the installation of my fix for trapping the propeller peg in place.

Then to add to that, while photographing the completed sub assemblies all together I dropped them onto a tiled floor from standing height. Amazingly the only thing that actually came unstuck was part-8 with parts 9 & 10 remaining attached. While the supercharger and radiator sub-assembly, parts; 16, 17, 18, 19 , 25, 26 and 27 separated from the engine block assembly yet survived intact.

That said here are the pictures, and a bit of an explanation of what I did to trap the prop peg.

The picture below shows parts, 20, 21 and 22, with my plastic card solution for trapping the propeller peg. Plus the Waldron Precision Punch & Die Set, the Tamiya plastic scriber and Mission Models Small Multi Tool.

LPgcg9d.jpg

Anyway since part 21 features a bolt assembly, which coincides with an assembly that is fixed at the front of the engine on the 1:1 scale item. I decided it was best to eschew Matchbox's solution for prop spinning. And glue part 21 to part 20, using the Mission Models Multi Tool (a pencil or pen would work as well) to hold it in place as I glued those parts together from the outside with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

hVigmrd.jpg

HE5HWyA.jpg

That done I then cut a 9mm x 5mm rectangle of .75mm thick plastic card. Then used the .160" punch from the Waldron Punch & Die Set to provide a .25mm plastic card stand off piece, to trap the peg at the right depth. Following that I did a bit of sanding to adjust the height to allow free movement of the peg. Then glued the plastic card bits together and cut 3 channels into the rectangle part with Tamiya's scriber, to run the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement away from the free spinning peg during glueing.

EEoCjWY.jpg

I then put the peg in place and followed it with my plastic card assembly, and glued it in place. 

SauwzQj.jpg

iKgZGpe.jpg

Which as a consequence of my clumsiness, I had glue run off onto the front of the reduction gear hosing. So now I have to wait for that to dry properly before I address it with some sanding and polishing afterwards.

gXMoctP.jpg

That done here is the rest of my progress on the engine, after dropping it onto a tiled floor just to check that my ticker is still functioning.

q9hZDTf.jpg

ZASsOWq.jpg

HwK165t.jpg

LL3UC3v.jpg

tY4wJOF.jpg

5UiXQRU.jpg

sCTwYi3.jpg

That done, I have started on the cockpit and pilot, yet you will all have to wait till later for pictures of progress on that.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 6

Well the engine assembly is finished and ready for painting, with it mostly scrubbing up okay.  Although I'm considering using some filler, in the area where the cylinder head assembly meets the rest of the engine block, to fix my shoddy workmanship.

While yesterdays glue faux pas on the reduction gear hosing, is still a little visible after trying to fix it. That said hopefully the Mr Surfacer, that I'll be using as a primer will hide it some more.

7zajiCo.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, what a fantastic thread and some lovely clear photographs of the kit and your excellent progress. Apologies for not welcoming you any earlier with this great build, theres way too many WIP’s to keep keep up with in this monster GB. Cheers Anne best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1