Sudanese AF Su-25 (a double-GB build vignette)

spacer.png

If you have seen my builds before you might know that I often create vignette pairings, whether it is two of the same model like the Czech MiG-21s or two very different types like the Lybian National Army MiG-21/SF260

This year I wanted to try something different and combine two GBs into a single vignette and this MiG-21/ground attack combo seemed perfect. So I will be combining a well worn MiG-21M undergoing maintenance, with a fully loaded Su-25 perparing for operation.

spacer.png

First step for the Frogfoot was to find a pilot, so I found my big pot of resin figures and this smart Heroes Models sculpt.

Unfortunately whoever designed the seat in the Frogfoot kit never planned for it to have a figure in and the poor fellow was just sitting on top. I tried with just the pilot sat on the floor, but this left an obvious gap behind his head.

So with some scalpel saw work I cut the back off the seat, glued it to the back of the pilot, fitting the gap behind him and letting him sit correctly in the cockpit!

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, a slight update. The old extra glossy plastic caused lots of problems with the paint since I didn't bother to prime (naughty 😏) and it just wouldn't go on consistently or hold at all - so I ended up stripping it all down and priming it and will be starting the paintwork again.

• 3 weeks later...

So this one will go down to the wire!

Over the last couple of days it has been primed, coloured and decalled and is now recovering from the varnish.

Just got a quick charity 5k to run, then this evening to wrap up model and base 😁

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Alas this one got delayed but finally completed now with addition of some prototypical loads, ladder and crewman. Weathering was with brown Oilwashers.

Unfortunately I was not able to pose the cockpit open as planned as the Academy transparancy only covered the glass part of the cockpit - the second, metal, portion was moulded into the kit body. If I had realised at the start I probably could have cut this out but it was too late so I just sealed it up.

Crewman is from Heroes Models and steps are from the Brengun MiG-21 accessories set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5