Sharpening an old Cutlass

Hello Ferrata,

Oops, I only discovered your construction now!. :blush:
Congratulations for your work, and especially for your self-sacrifice in resuming a construction that has been stopped since...

This week, I'm taking back the Kinetic box of the Fouga CM170 in 1/48 scale that I had left aside for seven years.

The reason? too many small parts, and a rather rough manual. 

I too built the Hobbycraft Cutlass a few years ago. So I take the risk of polluting your message with photos of my construction:

316_f710.jpg

31710.jpg

I really like the look of the plane and built it almost out of the box. Nevertheless, the wheels are pretty crappy, and I had the same thought as you when I did the windscreen.

This is the one that came in the box in my model, which I sanded.

To cut the acetate canopies, I fill them with plaster. This material is not expensive, and the cutting is rather easy afterwards.

I did a wash of black and brown in the structure lines, today I would rather use a Payne grey, so that the effect is less sharp.

By the way, your ejector seat is splendid! 👍

Have a good holiday and I wish that you will come back strong, with the desire to finish this funny bird! :boxing:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 4

Thanks Eric,

It's great to see another one of these kits actually completed! More inspiration and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’m back from holiday and feel like my mojo is rejuvenated so got stuck straight into the paintwork starting with the underside. 
spacer.png

I know these aircraft didn’t serve for long so I’m assuming that they would not get too weathered and beaten up, so working with thin coats I have tried to create a faint patchwork of white across the underside. I put on about 4 or 5 coats of Vallejo Insignia White which might just be visible in the pictures.

spacer.png

Once the underside was dry I went on to paint the white control surfaces on the upper surface and create a mottled effect for the light gull grey to go over. The squadron markings include yellow wing and fin tips so I made sure these areas were given a good cover of white as a base. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This can dry overnight and I’ll hopefully get started on the grey tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I said my mojo was recharged after the holidays and I’ve been making good use of it. Painting has been rolling on at a cracking rate! First the yellow unit markings

spacer.png 

then the light gull grey

spacer.png

spacer.png

then the details 

spacer.png

The the bit I’d not been looking forward to, the canopy. The size of the vac form replacement canopy meant it was very flexible so I had to add a brace inside before I could start the masking. An hour later it was masked, inside and out, then it was primer and colour. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The plan now is to fix some small areas of overspray and take care of the detail painting in the undercarriage bays before sealing everything in with a coat of gloss ready for decals.

That’s it for now, thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Like 3

That’s the detail painting all done. I’ll leave it now for at least 24 hours before giving it a gloss coat ready for decals. 
spacer.png

Time now to get on with that Airfix Stuka.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, SallysDad said:

It is really looking fantastic... wow!

Thanks. Some of these older kits are a lot of fun and still look half decent.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the gloss coat is now dry so here goes.

spacer.png

And in the blink of an eye the decals are on! 

I have to be honest here, I actually forgot to take any pictures of the weathering and final assembly process so I’m afraid you’ll have to take my word for it when I say that after this I gave the model another coat of Satin clear then an application of Flory Dark Dirt wash. Once dry the wash was removed to leave a grimy finish which I could then use as a base to add oil stains etc. with oil paints.
It was at this point I discovered I had lost the nose wheel door! I searched everywhere, even in the Hoover, but no joy. Thankfully, it was a relatively easy thing to scratch build a new one. 
spacer.png

Another coat of satin clear and it was final assembly. The finished result is this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope you like it. I will post more pictures in the Ready for Inspection section later on. Thanks to everyone who followed this build especially Tailspin Turtle, without who’s help this would have been a lot less accurate and a much harder build.

• Like 6