Tamiya 1/48 US 2.5 ton 6x6 truck. The Red Ball Express.

Hi,

This is my recently completed Tamiya 1/48 US 2.5 ton Cargo truck.

The majority of these trucks were produced by GMC and were affectionally known as 'Jimmy' by the troops. They were the workhorse of the Red Ball Express and were declared by General Eisenhower to be one of the 5 most important vehicles of WW2. They were also used in the Korean War to great effect.

The Red Ball Express was the first of the dedicated supply routes designed to support the Allied thrust across Northern France following D-Day. It was a massive 1 way loop which operated 24/7 from St Lo towards Paris between August and November 1944. The roads were closed to civilian traffic and at its peak each loop was a 600 mile journey. All cargo that Patton's Third and Hodge's First Armies required had to be moved by truck as the French Railways were severely damaged due to Allied bombing and sabotage by the French resistance during Nazi occupation. In addition fuel could not be supplied by pipeline across Northern France as the pipeline simply could not be laid fast enough to match the rapid advancement of US troops. The term 'Red Ball' comes the US railway slang term meaning 'fast freight'. At its peak approximately 6,000 trucks were in use moving 12,500 tons of cargo per day. Interestingly 75% of the personnel involved in the operation were African-American troops.

Paints: Lifecolor acrylics

Etch: Aber

Stowage: Valuegear

Weathering: Ammo Mig pigments/mud

Thanks for looking!

Red_Ball_Express_-_Truck_in_the_mud

Red_Ball_Express_Regulating_Point

Corporal_Charles_H._Johnson_of_the_783rd_Military_Police_Battalion,_waves_on_a__Red_Ball_Express__motor_convoy..._-_NARA_-_531220.tif

IMG_4308

IMG_4313

IMG_4294

IMG_4257

IMG_4295

IMG_4279

IMG_4334

IMG_4357

IMG_4388

IMG_4392

IMG_4226

• Like 35

On 4/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, Roman Schilhart said:

What an iconic truck. 

Great modelling and presentation!

Thank you! Much appreciated. 

Yes, they're a great looking truck...I hope to do a few more variants. It would be good to see you work your 1/72 magic on one!

On 4/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, sandsmodels said:

great work

Thank you. Your comments are much appreciated 👍

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I did the Airfix/Heller kit not so long ago:

GMC353.jpg

I think I missed that one! Great job on the truck & stowage and it looked superb with the trailer.

Love that vehicle 🍻

51 minutes ago, Trevor L said:

Top job. I love the truck, the cargo and the diorama.

I like those 'shady' photos too. 

Thank you and much appreciated for the comments. Yes, I like a few of the darker photos to give a bit of a sense of atmosphere.

Thanks again 👍

• 3 weeks later...