Tamiya 1/6 Harley Davidson

So after having this kit in the loft for a good few years, I've finally made a start on this 1/6th Tamiya Harley Davidson Classic bike.

The kit is the black classic, but I'm going to base it on the 75th anniversary model from 1978/9 and paint it in Harley Davidson black cherry. 

I'm planning on going all out on detail and mods, adding all the bits missing from the kit. My plan is to have working lights, but I might be so sick of it by that stage, that I'll bin that idea.

I'm going to be bolting and screwing as much of this as possible. This will also allow me to build it in MY order and not as the instructions say to do

This is the crankcase with the moulded bolts cut off and holes drilled. God, it takes an age doesn't it?

IMG_8930

Tappet blocks on and a couple of cylinder studs in

IMG_8932

Cylinders on

IMG_8936

My plan was to finish the engine before I moved on to the frame, but because I needed to drill several holes in the block for attaching to the frame, I had to assemble the frame and test fit, so I could drill in the correct places

IMG_8949

Reworked transmission plate. Kit one is too short and too thin.  Took forever cutting off the moulded bolts and cleaning out the elongated mounting holes. Transmission can slide now for precise lining up with the primary chain case

51978161035_1aeaf506c4_c.jpg

Studs fitted to underside of transmission

IMG_8944

Transmission bolted to frame

IMG_8945

Rear and front of engine bolted to frame

IMG_8948 IMG_8950

Now all the holes are where they should be, I can put the frame aside and concentrate on the engine. Once I'm happy and everything is where it should be, I'll take it all apart and paint it, before final assembly

Thanks for looking

Gary

• Like 11

Little update. 

Been working on the engine and associated parts. Quite happy with how it's progressing

I think I'm happy with the colours, aluminium mainly. 

IMG_8980 IMG_8979

Starter motor done. Just needs cable added

IMG_8967 IMG_8965

Primary chain case. The starter in the kit is a bit short and never reaches the little bracket that supports it to the transmission on the end.

I've extended the mount and added the studs

IMG_8963

Oil pump reworked. pressure switch and extra outlets added

Dry fit

IMG_8953

Individual parts

IMG_8961

Pressure switch

IMG_8962

Painted and assembled

IMG_8971

Gasket between pump and front cover

IMG_8976

Transmission cover plate drilled out and studs/nuts added

IMG_8957

Thanks for looking

Gary

Edited by apollogary
  • Like 9

On 14/04/2022 at 16:02, krow113 said:

Good stuff.

Are you gonna address the rear exhaust port?

Very visual , very apparent , very wrong , lol.

Can you go into a bit more detail? maybe I'm missing something, but compared to real engines, it doesn't look too far away from what it should look like. Is that instead of being at 12 minutes past, it should be at maybe 5?

Here's the model

IMG_9018

And the real thing

Thunderbike-Harley-Davidson-80-FLH-Shovelhead-Making-Of-Custombike-Foto-Ben-Ott-8-1920x1280

Edited by apollogary
Realisation
  • Like 3

Anyway..... couple of updates

Temporarily back in frame, with points cover and air cleaner cover temporarily on. Tappets fitted. Oil pump and hoses fitted and rigid oil line to head and crossover pipe added

IMG_9010

IMG_9018 IMG_9013

Oil drain plug fabricated on inner chaincase

52009060539_ec406abc10_c.jpg

Oil hoses added 

IMG_9020

Front oil tank mount/clutch cable bracket added to frame

IMG_9022

Rear oil tank mount

IMG_9023

Front battery tray mount. Kit doesn't have a front mount at all. Can't believe how easily the paint rubs off the silvered parts. Will have to repaint the transmission end cover

IMG_9024 IMG_9026

So many things have to involve things that I really don't want to start on yet. The rear battery mount bracket is also the lug for the battery hold down strap. So i have to temporarily fit the battery housing in place to get that bit right. But... I've run out of 1.2 hex nuts, so will have to wait until after bank holiday for them to arrive. 

Once all 4 Battery/oil tank mounts are fitted, I'll cut away the plastic kit mounts.

Thanks for looking

Gary

• Like 4

19 hours ago, apollogary said:

Can you go into a bit more detail? maybe I'm missing something, but compared to real engines, it doesn't look too far away from what it should look like. Is that instead of being at 12 minutes past, it should be at maybe 5?

Here's the model

IMG_9018

And the real thing

Thunderbike-Harley-Davidson-80-FLH-Shovelhead-Making-Of-Custombike-Foto-Ben-Ott-8-1920x1280

Has to be for injection moulding purpose' they did it that way.

And will be tough to fix.

Count the fins above it - 3 on the model , 2 on the real thing.

Its only me who sees it , most wont care.

Now the rocker box upper profile looks a little off too...lol

Edited by krow113

• 2 weeks later...

Little update

It's coming along slowly, but surely

Starter motor

IMG_9075

Rigid rear brake line and brake light switch

IMG_9083 IMG_9093

Gearbox

IMG_9039

Neutral switch

IMG_9072

Mounted to chain case

IMG_9051 IMG_9054

Oil tank. With vent pipe and "groove"  added to top. Drain plug moved to correct location

IMG_9064 IMG_9062

Clutch cable

IMG_9100

Various scratch built brackets now painted

IMG_9094

Electrical parts assembled. Wiring harnesses made up

IMG_9098 IMG_9088

Frame is painted, so I can finally start putting stuff in it

Thanks for looking

Gary

• Like 7

Looks splendid. 👍

Don't think I could cope with the amount of scratch-building required on these 1/6 kits. The urge to keep getting closer to the real thing must be almost impossible to resist. Certainly a cut above from where I am. 

On 30/04/2022 at 04:53, slippers said:

Looks splendid. 👍

Don't think I could cope with the amount of scratch-building required on these 1/6 kits. The urge to keep getting closer to the real thing must be almost impossible to resist. Certainly a cut above from where I am. 

Thank you.

Yes it is very difficult where to draw the line. I just take one sub assembly at a time and think about whether I can be really bothered to do more to it. Trouble is, sometimes you just have to step away and have a break. I've been wanting to do this for years, but I'm pretty sure it will be the last time. The time it is taking, and the cost is ridiculous. I can't believe how many nuts and bolts I've bought.

Not sure what I'll do next. I've got another Harley police bike, a Harley FXE sport and a Honda Monkey bike. I should have put this much effort into the FXE, as a lot of the detailed parts are not covered by trim panels, but hey ho

Gary

On 30/04/2022 at 10:04, kpnuts said:

Amazing work.

Thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

Finally started fitting everything into the frame. Still a lot to do, but it's coming along nicely

Engine, gearbox, coil, clutch cable fitted

52064961083_0fdcde7d0f_c.jpg

Oil tank in

52064944866_33fcd7ee9d_c.jpg

Starter solenoid

52064945581_3cbcfc639c_c.jpg

There are a lot of nuts and bolts on this bike

52063900062_0fd34ca658_b.jpg

Battery in. Wiring harness in. Thing under battery is the starter relay. Also the brake light switch and oil pressure switch are wired up. All the oil hoses connected up. 

52064960643_778050198a_b.jpg

Close up

52065175784_bedbe6b906_b.jpg

Rectifier

52064960488_048305c1a1_b.jpg

Battery cover, main circuit breaker and battery vent hose added

52063900912_7b5bc8449e_c.jpg

Brake pedal, rear wheel and calliper on

52065174649_472a099383_b.jpg

52064960143_fae5fb6c6d_c.jpg

Chain and chain guard

52064945056_107180217e_c.jpg

Hinged rear fender

52063900247_97a2b0289a_c.jpg

Still waiting for the black cherry paint to arrive, so can't paint and final fit the bodywork yet

Thanks for looking

Gary

• Like 9

During a while, I thought you'd taken photos of the real bike in a garage, not of a scale model !

Wonderful job 👍

I've this Tamiya Fat Boy 1:6 in my stash, and you make me want to start it !

CC

8 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

During a while, I thought you'd taken photos of the real bike in a garage, not of a scale model !

Wonderful job 👍

I've this Tamiya Fat Boy 1:6 in my stash, and you make me want to start it !

CC

Thank you. That's a big compliment. Definitely start the fat boy!!

• Like 1