Westland Wessex HAS Mk3 'Humphrey', Italeri 1/48th scale...

On 5/9/2022 at 12:57 AM, heloman1 said:

Thanks Pappy. I got some great info from Mike the Bootneck he has access to manual info. So, I'm sorted.

Colin

Awesome, you can show the rest of us how to add the tail wheel brake as well. I am still out of the country so the bench is but a distant memory for now....

Pappy

On 5/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, Pappy said:

Awesome, you can show the rest of us how to add the tail wheel brake as well. I am still out of the country so the bench is but a distant memory for now....

Pappy

OK, I used the tailwheel as a start point to make some drawings/sketches as there aren't any real drawing just what Mike has given. I've cut some parts in thin plastic-card which I feel may be a tad flimsy. I may have to resort to thin brass sheet!

I need to take update images but that may only be tomorrow.

Coli

• Like 1

Hi, I think, I'm getting bogged down in the detail additions and corrections, Better pull finger before I run out of time!!!

Anyway, I've buttoned up the fuselage halves, I forgot to add the transmission platform/cabin roof part, so had to split the upper fus, joint and pry it apart to get it in!!!

So, here is where I'm at...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm working in the cockpit at present and reworked the crew seats, unfortunately the image was blurred, so until next time...

Colin

• Like 8

nice neat work Colin.  It's a real shame Italeri made such a pigs ear of the Wessex, but on the other hand there is lots of enjoyment to be had adding missing greeblies and correcting stuff.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, hendie said:

nice neat work Colin.  It's a real shame Italeri made such a pigs ear of the Wessex, but on the other hand there is lots of enjoyment to be had adding missing greeblies and correcting stuff.

A pity indeed Alan, then it was a rush job! They could have gone back and corrected/rectified some of the glaring glitches! As you say, satisfying putting it right. The H-34's which were the last kits using the moulds are better than the HU5.

Colin

• Like 1

Ok, I haven't disappeared, I have been busy just not posted any new images. I need to!

I've started work on the tail wheel break in plasti-card but I doubt it will be strong/tough enough. So I'll fish out some brass shim-stock.

I did an audit this am to see where I'm up to. I think I've almost cracked the back of the  fuselage detailing.

Until later...

Colin

4 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Ok, I haven't disappeared, I have been busy just not posted any new images. I need to!

I've started work on the tail wheel break in plasti-card but I doubt it will be strong/tough enough. So I'll fish out some brass shim-stock.

I did an audit this am to see where I'm up to. I think I've almost cracked the back of the  fuselage detailing.

Until later...

Colin

I feel guilty for mentioning the tail wheel brake given all the extra work and time it has cost you.

21 hours ago, Tony G said:

I feel guilty for mentioning the tail wheel brake given all the extra work and time it has cost you.

No need to feel guilty Tony. You pointed me to something I didn't now about. The sketches and parts from plastic-card didn't take too long to fashion. Just that plastic might not be strong enough!

I'll give it another bash during the week.

Colin

• Like 2

Progress over the past couple of weeks, hasn't been where I wanted it to be! I've made some progress but nearly not enough!

So, the cockpit seats need some attention, the squab and backrest are not at all what they should be. The squab (seat) is far too long and needed shortening and the front under edge recontouring. The back need re-sculpting and the side frames altering.

spacer.png

The main rotorhead is in need of extra detail on the blade roots, the taper pin heads and nuts needed adding. Fine rod and hex rod were used here. There are other nuts heads that have also been added.

spacer.png

In the swashplate, I removed the moulded in pushrods and replaced them again with fine rod.

spacer.png

After closing up the fuselage halves and adding the nose intake but before adding the Parrots beak, I added some bracing to the intake and then sprayed it with a mixture of 50/50 Xtracolour and Humbrol 85 RAF Blue Grey.

spacer.png

Next up will be adding the cockpit glazing. I've made one attempt but the fuselage seems to be a little skew. I may have to do some surgery!!!

Until then, enjoy.

Colin

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back on track, I hope. Load shedding (government enforced power outages) puts a dampener on real progress as does the cold weather!

I've made good progress since my last post. I've buttoned up the fuselage and finished detailing and I've now got some paint on her. I shot a coat of My Hobby 1500 Black Primer, a first time for me, excellent stuff! Then a mix 50/50 of Humbrol and Xrtar-colour RAF Blue Grey thinned 30 %with lacquer thinners. That was allowed to dry overnight then once it was warm enough on Thursday, I shot two coats of Future.

So, now I'm ready to start applying the decals, time is getting short, so I need to get a move on!

spacer.png

This is my sketch for the parts of the tailwheel break. I've fashioned a couple of parts from thin sheet styrene but they seem very flimsy. So, I'm going to revert to shimstock. More of that later, it's a small part of the build and I can add it at the end.

spacer.png

Until next time, enjoy.

Colin

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Ok, I'm back on track, I hope. Load shedding (government enforced power outages) puts a dampener on real progress as does the cold weather!

I've made good progress since my last post. I've buttoned up the fuselage and finished detailing and I've now got some paint on her. I shot a coat of My Hobby 1500 Black Primer, a first time for me, excellent stuff! Then a mix 50/50 of Humbrol and Xrtar-colour RAF Blue Grey thinned 30 %with lacquer thinners. That was allowed to dry overnight then once it was warm enough on Thursday, I shot two coats of Future.

So, now I'm ready to start applying the decals, time is getting short, so I need to get a move on!

spacer.png

This is my sketch for the parts of the tailwheel break. I've fashioned a couple of parts from thin sheet styrene but they seem very flimsy. So, I'm going to revert to shimstock. More of that later, it's a small part of the build and I can add it at the end.

spacer.png

Until next time, enjoy.

Colin

Looking good the colour looks perfect

1 minute ago, Tony G said:

Looking good the colour looks perfect

Thanks Tony, the decision to use the black primer might have helped richen/deepen the RAF BG. It's not a prefect finish but then, I wanted a 'used' look.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

So, ahead of Saturdays deadline, this is were I am with the tailwheel break. I cut the parts from thin ali sheet following my sketch. I think the dims ran away with themselves, it all seems a little too large!

After three hours of cussing and pushing superglue around the parts and my eyes getting sore. I gave up, not totally, I need to revisit the sizing...

spacer.png

Here is where I was a couple of days ago with final detailing...

spacer.png

All the decals came from the kit, the light stores carriers are from the old and very inaccurate Revell kit.

Until tomorrow with my final set of images, thanks for following my build.

Colin

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

So, ahead of Saturdays deadline, this is were I am with the tailwheel break. I cut the parts from thin ali sheet following my sketch. I think the dims ran away with themselves, it all seems a little too large!

After three hours of cussing and pushing superglue around the parts and my eyes getting sore. I gave up, not totally, I need to revisit the sizing...

spacer.png

Here is where I was a couple of days ago with final detailing...

spacer.png

All the decals came from the kit, the light stores carriers are from the old and very inaccurate Revell kit.

Until tomorrow with my final set of images, thanks for following my build.  Look forward to final pics it looks great

Colin

Hi Colin

The winch hook colour is same as airframe, the hook was orignally dayglow orange/red and was overpainted same as the airframe. most of which rubbed off with use and the hook ended as bare metal only the grab ring was still grey with the dayglow showing in places.   Looking forward to final pics, looks really great job, you have done humphrey proud.

Edited by Tony G

3 hours ago, Tony G said:

Hi Colin

The winch hook colour is same as airframe, the hook was orignally dayglow orange/red and was overpainted same as the airframe. most of which rubbed off with use and the hook ended as bare metal only the grab ring was still grey with the dayglow showing in places.   Looking forward to final pics, looks really great job, you have done humphrey proud.

Hi Tony, Thank s for the heads up re the hoist hook. Think I got carried away with the yellow! It will have to stay as is until next week when I'm back home.

Same with the tailwheel break.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

Deadline extension Colin, now you’ll definitely get it across the line.  Looking forward to seeing it in all its finished glory.

Thanks for the heads-up there Mark. Certainly takes the pressure of and will get me across the line as I had intended with  the tailwheel break.

Re measure and start again...

As for weathering, I don't think I'm going to de any more to it. Looking at the images I have of Humphrey, the cab seems and I'm sure was kept in a good condition.

Colin

Edited by heloman1
added text.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what can I say? At present, the tailwheel break fixture has beaten me! Time and how to best portray it have stumped me. Apologies, I will return to it .

It's been an enjoyable build and at times frustrating, Italeri could have done so much better!

So look in the RFI for my finished images. Thanks to all the guys who chipped in with info, especially Tony G with the tailwheel break  and Mick the Bootneck with the pic of Antrim's rear end and flightdeck plus the manual info for the break..

Colin

• Like 1