Double Trouble! A Brace of 1:48 Malta Ace Spitfire Mk.Vbs *FINISHED*

15 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Man, they look good especially the DE/EDSG/Azure.

That really is a beautiful scheme.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - as far as I know it was unique to Malta Spits, which is a shame as it is most aesthetically sick, as I believe the young folk are wont to profess,

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

Hi All,

Some more good progress on the Spits! Yesterday I managed to get the decals on EP691 (X*T). During this process I noticed something rather perturbing. Both of these aircraft are 229 Sqn, but despite offering 12 yes 12 schemes, DK Decals have rather sneakily omitted sufficient 'X's to complete both 229 Sqn schemes 🤬. So EP716 (X*A) is missing a rather important 'X'. Now these decals are not cheap, and I think it's a bit much that a less than observant middle-aged man can stumble into this scenario. Anyhoo, following a decent airing of Anglo-Saxon epithets I hardened up and masked the offending code letter:

20220418-110957.jpg

And the result:

20220418-111423.jpg

There's some very slight overspray there which I did not even pick up (and hence did nothing about). I did clean up the runs however, and then applied the rest of the decals. I even thought to apply cut down versions of the prominent walkways:

20220418-123418.jpg

Oooh get me! Any slight gaps were hairy sticked to my satisfaction. Now EP716 has been hiding it's DMB light under a bushel for far too long, so here she is under a Flory wash:

20220418-130304.jpg

I chose to use 'Grime' over my usual 'Black' Flory wash, as I thought that the latter would be lost on such a dark colour. I'm actually quite pleased with the effect on both Azure and DMB, so may use this more in future. So here's both, with EP716 under a flat coat and EP691 awaiting washes:

20220418-143935.jpg

Here's a final shot with both cleaned up and flat coated:

20220418-164445.jpg

I'd added the merest hint of light grey to the flat coat, and I'm quite pleased with the sun-faded effect this simulates. I'm also quietly pleased with the subtlety of the DMB variations, which were looking a bit OTT after the main coats went down - I think that the grime wash has also added a layer of complexity to the finish. I'll be off-line for a few days as we're off to the Yorke Peninsula for a bit of R&R,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Fantastic Spitfires.  You have done a great job, Roger

Thanks for the kind words Stephen - much appreciated! Love your avatar - are they Staffies?

Oooooo they are looking rather gorgeous Roger, great job fella,  shame you didn't get all the Xs required but, none the less you have sorted with ease. Great idea adding the grey to the flat coat too.  Got fade to grey by Visage in my head now. Cracking job as usual. 

Enjoy the R&R.

Chris

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo they are looking rather gorgeous Roger, great job fella,  shame you didn't get all the Xs required but, none the less you have sorted with ease. Great idea adding the grey to the flat coat too.  Got fade to grey by Visage in my head now. Cracking job as usual. 

Enjoy the R&R.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I think that may have been one of your top tips (the grey, that is, not Visage!). Both excellent whatever,

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris - I think that may have been one of your top tips (the grey, that is, not Visage!). Both excellent whatever,

Cheers,

Roger

No worries fella, I am digging out some 80s CDs for later when I am modelling,  if I get the chance.  Got to get some spuds in the ground this morning!!! 

Chris

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella, I am digging out some 80s CDs for later when I am modelling,  if I get the chance.  Got to get some spuds in the ground this morning!!! 

Chris

Get your groove on mate - don't throw your back out though!🤣 Enjoy...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dunny said:

are they Staffies?

No, they are Bull Arabs and they are not related.

They are called Billy (right in the pic) and Mandy, and they are having a lay down with Mummy.

Both were animal rescue dogs.

Stephen

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Get your groove on mate - don't throw your back out though!🤣 Enjoy...

I could have a day of modelling as I have been told to rest really,  but need to get all my Veggies started, got lots in already and the house is a nursery at the mo for various veggies!!!

Sorry for the thread drift fella

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

No, they are Bull Arabs and they are not related.

They are called Billy (right in the pic) and Mandy, and they are having a lay down with Mummy.

Both were animal rescue dogs.

Stephen

Love it - my avatar is Muddy, a Kelpie-Staffy cross. She is also a rescue...

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I could have a day of modelling as I have been told to rest really,  but need to get all my Veggies started, got lots in already and the house is a nursery at the mo for various veggies!!!

Sorry for the thread drift fella

No apologies necessary Chris - get them spuds in lad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Your little Muddy is a cutie

We had a Staffy called Darth Vader and a Dinky Di both were animal rescue also.

Billy was found roaming Bonalbo and Mandy was dumped

It never ceases to amaze me the cruelties dealt out to animals. Even more amazing is their ability to trust and love again - we could learn much. Anyway, back to the Spits! 

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Those both look really good!  If/when I do my Malta piece I hope mine come out looking like those.

Enjoy your trip, that’s a part of Aus I haven’t been to yet but hear nothing but good things about.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Those both look really good!  If/when I do my Malta piece I hope mine come out looking like those.

Enjoy your trip, that’s a part of Aus I haven’t been to yet but hear nothing but good things about.

Thanks Mark - kind words much appreciated. The YP is very much our happy place - we're lucky enough to have a family place over there and take every opportunity to escape. Do let me know if you're ever in SA - happy to show your more of our adopted home!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Do let me know if you're ever in SA - happy to show your more of our adopted home!

As it happens, I travel to Adelaide five or six times a year for work.  I’ll drop you a PM next time I’m around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Very nicely done Roger.

I can't add anything more than has already been said as they look that good.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers,

Alistair

Most kind Alistair! I fully intend to...

• Like 1

• Dunny changed the title to Double Trouble! A Brace of 1:48 Malta Ace Spitfire Mk.Vbs *FINISHED*

Hi All,

Relaxed and rejuvenated by a few days away, I managed to get both of the Spits over the line today. Although there was a fair bit of activity I neglected to take any photos, so here's a couple of teasers - I'll post more photos over in RFI:

20220422-141058.jpg

20220422-141114.jpg

20220422-141129.jpg

*EDIT* Here's the RFI link:

I've very much enjoyed this simple build and it has been a great mojo boost between more challenging builds (there's a doozy on the way - WIP thread will kick off later). Thanks to all those who've offered kind words and encouragement along the way - it has been much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
RFI link added
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Both are great scheme choices and you have brought them to life perfectly, I love a malta spit.

Rob

Thanks for the kind words Rob - much appreciated!

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Fantastic.

Not much more I can say as I'm a bit awestruck.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - appreciate the kind words and encouragement along the way,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1