Italeri 1/35 M7 Priest **FINISHED**

Well here we go, out of the loft and ready to build... going to add stowage and a rack at the front plus wading fittings and some tarps.....

IMG-20220402-181728.jpg

IMG-20220402-181747.jpg

IMG-20220402-165214.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 7

looks like the kit has the wrong wheels for the period, but am not that precious so will build with solid but set up for dday (will move the lights tho)....

10 hours ago, robw_uk said:

been warned the kit tracks are too short, what aftermarket options do I have??

20 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

looks like the kit has the wrong wheels for the period, but am not that precious so will build with solid but set up for dday (will move the lights tho)....

10 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

also need to add rung ladders on the outside but dont know diameter of wire I would need - any thoughts??

Im going to throw a @Longbow, @Retired Bob, & a @SleeperService here. They might have some answers for your question's. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im going to throw a @Longbow, @Retired Bob, & a @SleeperService here. They might have some answers for your question's. 

I use brass wire for this type of thing, it's easily bent to shape and strong enough to be handled.  I have various diameters, the stuff I have was made for hand rails on steam loco's (another affliction I have)  I use 0.45mm for hatch handles and 0.55 for anything sturdier.  I always keep bits of scrap telephone/ electrical wire that looks as if it could be used for jobs like this. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

correction, the rungs on the sides are in the kit so thats OK....

so extras to add:

rope on upper part of gun (starting with cotton which seems to be working)

wading superstructure changes (plasticard)

front stowage

rear stowage

interior detailing (will see what I can do with plasticard rather than give Mr Eduard my money 😉

engine deck changes

tarps (will see what I can do with these)

move the lights

• Like 3

ok... so "rope" wrapped round the upper part of the gun.... a bit fluffy so need to work out how to stick it down more...

IMG-20220403-165800.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Rob. I'm pleased you have managed to join us. Welcome and great to have you here. Good to see you are underway too.

With regards 'rope' - I often use sewing thread of various thicknesses and, to stop it going fluffy, I dip it in watered down PVA glue and then allow it to dry - usually hung up from a high point, like the centre of a curtain rail.. I often add some acrylic paint to the PVA, of the colour I want the rope to end up. As the thread is drying I pull it between my thumb and forefinger a few times, to minimise any bits which are starting to fluff up.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Rob. I'm pleased you have managed to join us. Welcome and great to have you here. Good to see you are underway too.

With regards 'rope' - I often use sewing thread of various thicknesses and, to stop it going fluffy, I dip it in watered down PVA glue and then allow it to dry - usually hung up from a high point, like the centre of a curtain rail.. I often add some acrylic paint to the PVA, of the colour I want the rope to end up. As the thread is drying I pull it between my thumb and forefinger a few times, to minimise any bits which are starting to fluff up.

Kind regards,

Stix

cheers stix, noted for next time.. may try watered down PVA or matt varnish and paint it on (should've asked before gluing it down ;-)) 

• Like 1

cheers Longow... can that stuff also be used for tow cable???

running gear done (tracks a touch tight but can fix that with super glue to fix the wheels level)... onwards with the gun... started on the small fixtures & fittings and internal gun shield. currently floor plate and gun just placed to check fit (any thoughts on the drivers compartment colour? just white floor and everything else OD?

IMG-20220408-072346.jpg

IMG-20220408-072358.jpg...

• Like 5

Nice to see a Priest being done, great start!

If I can chip in on the rope "issue", I bought some 0.45mm silk bead cord, makes great scale rope and doesn't fluff.

Good luck

Darryl 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Too thin for tow cable, except in 1/72, but for tie-downs it would work very well. 

It does!

Haven't checked but I'd imagine it might be available in different sizes.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, robw_uk said:

(any thoughts on the drivers compartment colour? just white floor and everything else OD?

I believe that any area without a roof was OD all over, including the floor, to avoid spotting from the air. If the driver's compartment was a sealed box it would be white all over to aid the driver in seeing where everything was.

• Like 3