18 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday All, it was forty years ago today, 12th June 1982 that HMS Glamorgan was hit by the Exocet fired from an improvised trailer on shore. As far as I know she was the first ship to be hit by an Exocet fired in anger and survive. RIP those of the crew that didn't make it.

I hope to get back to this build soon. It sort of got put on hold while I'm doing my HMS Minotaur. I have trouble working on two models at a time as it breaks my concentration on what I'm doing. Minotaur is part of a GB on the ATF and their time frames (usually two months) are tighter than here.

Regards, Jeff.

To my friends and flight members lost  on this day. At the going down of the sun we remember you.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday All, it's been just over two months since I made a progress report on HMS Glamorgan. I've recommenced the build now that HMS Minotaur is complete. I don't have much to show but here it is anyway.

GLM170 aft superstructure 1

The aft funnel needed raising which I've done. There was also some sort of shielding (air inlets, vents?) attached to the sides, which I've added. The mainmast is dry fitted at present. It needs some sort of structure added to the rear of it which the kit part doesn't have. I'll scratch build it, along with the SCOT platform. That structure between the mast and the funnel position was also scratch built. I don't know what it is, and was poorly represented on the kit superstructure. It's also dry fitted at present.

The kit came with a single bedstead radar scanner to be mounted on top of the mainmast but HMS Glamorgan had a double bedstead unit so again I had to scratch build it. It looks a bit rough I'm afraid. The kit part was 'acquired' by Captain Teach of HMS Minotaur.

This is it for now. Hopefully more progress soon. So stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 5

Gidday All, just to show that HMS Glamorgan is still on the go here's a small update. The aft superstructure has been giving me a bit of bother. As with most parts of this kit I don't think it's very accurate, in particular the heights of the various levels and also the mainmast. What doesn't help is that I have three drawings/diagrams of the ship and they don't agree with each other. For example, each shows the hangar at a different height, as are the heights of the mainmast levels. I've managed to find a photo of HMS Glamorgan and another of HMS Antrim taken from broad on the beam and from low level. Due to the angle of the sun these don't give me much detail but the silhouette of the ship gives me a better idea of the height of the hangar, aft funnel and mainmast. So this is what I'm going with:

GLM190 aft superstructure 2

I've raised the height of the hangar and the deck under the aft funnel by 0.5mm using styrene card. Don't look too closely at my fill/sanding, I'm not very good at it and will try to touch it up later. I've added a structure to the rear face of the mainmast, compare it with the photo in the previous post above. It's not finished yet, though. I also raised the height of the mainmast itself, again using styrene.

In the left foreground are some sort of air inlets or vents that go on the deck either side of the mainmast extension. To the right of them are the legs of the SCOT dome platform and the platform itself. Still needs more work. And further to the right are the two screens/steps that sit behind the Corvus chaff launchers on the forward superstructure.

Well that's it for now, still got lots to do on this. No doubt I've got some things wrong and for those of you who are ex-crewmen of these ships especially HMS Glamorgan I beg your forgiveness.

Thank you for your interest, stay safe and regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

Gidday All, it's Friday evening here and time for another update on HMS Glamorgan. Below is a photo of most of the parts to date.

GLM200 progress 3

Most of the decks have been painted, although the foc'sle still needs another coat (plus the breakwater made and fitted). On the block in front are the parts I've done. From left to right (aft moving forward) there's the aft funnel, some sort of fixture that sits on the deck in front of it, the mainmast and in front of the mast some air intakes (?) and the double bedstead radar scanner. Moving forward, the support legs of the SCOT platform and the platform itself. The forward funnel and a deck house that'll sit behind it. I think it could be some sort of office associated with the SCOT domes. Moving forward, the signal deck, bridge wings and GDP (gun direction platform), then the bridge roof.

The kit comes with two twin turrets but I only need one. The turret you see actually came from a HMS Daring kit. In the future I wish to convert a Leander kit into a Leopard class with two turrets so it made sense to me to keep the two turrets from this kit as a set for that build. The Daring kit that donated this turret will be converted to a RAN Battle class destroyer, hence a spare turret. But the turret and barbette needed some work. Sink holes on either side needed filling, and a barbette made. The molded barbettes were much too large. The central rotating pin of the turret wasn't central, and was very large diameter. In the end I replaced it with a narrower pin, 2mm diameter, plus a 0.25mm base to the turret. The molded barbette was removed some time ago but the hole in the deck was too large for the turret pin I fitted. So a 3.2mm tube was glued to the underneath of my new barbette. This tube has a hole down the centre that takes the 2mm pin quite snuggly. The reason they're both so long is to give friction to prevent the turret from falling out but still allows it to turn. The barbette is a bit too small I think for my usual method of retaining turrets, that is the keyway and slot method. I like my main turrets to turn, if possible.

And in the background is my Friday night 1/2 glass of red, well one of them anyway. Not the traditional wine glass I know but less likely to be knocked over.

Well that's it for now. Still a lot to do I think. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

Gidday All, since Friday night I've mainly just slapped on a bit more paint on HMS Glamorgan. I have however added two door hatches to that structure behind the forward funnel (SCOT office?) and made the breakwater on the foc'sle. Plus glued the roof to the bridge. Below is a dry fit of what I've done to date.

GLM220 dry fit test 1

Not mentioned in the last post are the two screens/steps behind the Corvus launchers (not made yet) and the steps for the 20mm Oerlikon gunners. A short while ago this evening I painted on the square windows on the front face of the forward superstructure, plus those on the side above the (still to be fitted) bridge wings. The roof of the central bridge needs to be repainted. I think I've made the breakwater a little too far forward. But I think I'll leave it where it is. I'll probably wreck it if I try to remove and re-attach it.

Not much progress I know, and I don't think I'm going to make the deadline now, but I intend to keep going on this. Thank you for your interest.

Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 3

Gidday All, I've got a little bit of progress of HMS Glamorgan to show but not much for a week.

GLM230 superstructures fitted

That large white square in front of the bridge is the platform that the Exocet canisters will sit on. It's just dry fitted at present. Everything else you see is now attached. I've added the supports for the SCOT domes platform (not very evident in the photo) and added the two platforms for the Seacat directors. Those are on either side of the aft funnel. I've added the lookout bins to the GDP and 'wood' gratings inside the signal deck. I'm not sure how accurate I've been with them as I haven't had much to go on. I've also been painting the GDP and signal deck. For those viewers not familiar with the ship those are the structures on the forward superstructure, in front of the funnel.

Next I think I'll look at the fore mast. It'll probably need modifying, just about everything else with this kit has. 

So that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe in these times, and regards from Jeff.

• Like 6

Gidday, here's another quick update on HMS Glamorgan. I've just completed the gun and Seacat directors, and the other day the Exocet blast deflectors.

GLM260 assorted parts 1

The Exocet canisters come on a generic sprue that Airfix adds to these kits. They can be added to any original Airfix kits of ships that had them retro fitted, as in this case. The blast deflectors are not included however, and I had to scratch build them. They're hollow as they should be, not solid with the openings simply painted black. Don't think I didn't consider that option though. 🙂 That whole platform containing the canisters and blast deflectors will sit on 'B' turret deck. Notice holes in the deck, the large hole for the main mounting tube (just visible under the Exocet platform) and two smaller holes for pins to orientate the platform correctly.

Next to the Exocets is my scratch built foremast, and alongside it the kit foremast. I can't really criticize the kit mast as it represents that fitted to HMS Devonshire as built, not HMS Glamorgan as at the Falklands. A photo I have shows it to be reasonably accurate, but not suitable.

Next are my scratch built directors for the 4.5-inch guns and the Seacat missiles. I've made four so as to have a spare. The director for the guns is probably a little different to the two for the Seacats but at this scale the differences appeared slight, to me anyway. And when you consider Airfix's version on the sprue next to mine I think mine can pass muster. And Airfix only gives you one anyway, for the guns.

Next are the two triple STWS torpedo tube and the SCOT domes. And as you can see I've painted the double bedstead radar unit. Getting paint in between the vanes (or whatever they're called) was a bit of a challenge. If you look carefully you could probably find the odd bit of exposed white plastic still.

On the sprue in front are the boat davits. You could be excused for thinking that there's about three different types but in fact they should be all the same. The ends of most of them are poorly formed, melted short. They should all be like those at the right end of the sprue. Oh well, another repair/scratch replacement job to do. I think the only parts of this kit that I haven't altered/replaced are the rudders and the Exocet tubes.

That's it for now. I'm definitely not going to make the GB deadline. I'm not sure whether to continue this thread here or recommence the build in the Maritime WIP section. I'll think on it.

Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 4

Gidday All, I don't have much to show for a week on HMS Glamorgan. I've been working on the boats and the large Type 901 radar unit. In the previous post you can see the parts of it still on the sprue. The main part of it (illuminator, beam projector, screen?) has an off-centre aperture and sink hole at the front, plus a centre mounting pin to support it. The lower base has two injector pins in the middle and one triangular piece deformed. So I made my own lower base. I also modified the main piece by replacing the incorrect mounting pin with splayed support brackets, a platform at the rear plus some additional fittings to it at the side and underneath. To give an idea of size, the main round part is just over 5mm diameter and just under 6mm long. The squares on the cutting mat are 10mm.

GLM270 type 901 radar

Basically, the grey bits are Airfix and the white bits are my alterations/additions.

That's it for now. Next I think I'll have a go at modifying the boat davits. So thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards, Jeff.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday All, well with a pitiful amount of progress on HMS Glamorgan I'm not going to make the deadline I'm afraid, despite the gracious time extension we were given. Thank you anyway, Enzo. Anyway, here's where I'm up to:-

GLM300 liferaft canisters fitted

The type 901 radar unit is dry fitted, everything else on the model is attached. I've fitted the liferaft canisters (some are hidden under the SCOT dome platform) and done a bit more work on the signal deck. Thanks to some info given to me by @chuckb1 I've repainted the decking of the bridge wings and added a shelter to the base of the foremast. The foremast is still to be fitted. I've also painted a ladder leading to the GDP but it's not visible in the photo. The 15-inch projectors are added but are a bit over scale. The decking under the projectors should be a different shape but I can't alter them now. What is also not visible is a door hatch I've added to the port front of the fore funnel. I should have taken the photo from the other side. Had I done so it would have been in shadow and still not very visible - I've just checked. Oh well, a later photo. The lookout bins on the GDP are wrong but I don't know if I can alter then without too much damage. I'll have a bit more of a think on that.

In the foreground you can see the boats and davits. I redid the boat cabins and I've altered the davits from what the kit supplied. They're not finished yet. The bits at the back of them will be trimmed off but currently they offer something for the clamps to grip while I'm painting them. The boats and davits will straddle the racks of liferafts when fitted. You can see the holes predrilled in the deck for them.

The two SCOT domes are painted, you can just discern the two colours. They should have doors to them but I'm not sure if I can do them, they're quite small. I don't have to decide just yet, and I could try making new ones. Also in the foreground are some spare liferaft canisters. They're simply trimmed 1.2mm styrene rod.

I've still got heaps to do. I've got to scratch build bollards and fairleads, 10-inch projectors to the bridge wings (and maybe two machine guns), two 20mm Oerlikons, two Corvus chaff launchers, two Seacat launchers, a twin Seaslug launcher (that'll be er 'fun'), gun barrels to the turret, more work on the masts, plus any amount of busying her up. I also need two 5-bladed screws, the kit comes with 3-bladed. I'll try to make them but I can requisition those from the HMS Amazon kit if I can't. And worry about HMS Amazon later.

Well, that's as far as I've got. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe, and regards, Jeff.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday All, here's another update showing a meagre amount of progress on HMS Glamorgan.

GLM310 progress 4

If you compare this photo with that of the previous post you'll notice I've altered the lookout bins on the GDP. It now has four round tubs that crew members climb into and sit in. This was on the advice of a former crew member, @chuckb1 (thanks), although I'm still not sure of their exact location. So I've taken an educated guess. They look a bit rough I'm afraid. Also in this photo you can just see the door hatch leading into the forward funnel from the signal deck.
    Another addition is that object that looks like balustrading at the edge of the hull but I think is an accommodation ladder in it's stowed position. There's one on either side.
     And in the foreground you can see my attempts at making the 5-bladed screws the model requires. The completed screw is my trial attempt. In the photo the blades look un-evenly spaced but that's the camera angle. They look OK when seen from directly astern. But it's a little big I think, 6mm across.  Although I haven't found references that state the correct diameter I'm aiming for screws 5mm total diameter. I've nearly completed one, it still needs the final blade added.
    To get the blades evenly spaced I've drawn a star pattern on the wood and each blade fits into one segment. To get the pitch of the blades I'm using the chamfered face of that small chisel. The screw hub (body) is currently cut to a length that will sit into the wood block with the final required length protruding. A bit of tape over the hole underneath stops the rod from falling through. I cut and shape a blade, apply a bit of glue to the inside edge then glue it to the hub while it rests on the chisel blade. Once the glue is dry I rotate the hub anticlockwise and attach the next blade. To attach the final blade I'll have to remove the screw from the hole and lower it into another hole because the chisel gets in the way of the first blade as I rotate it. But the first four blades will support it as I glue in the fifth blade.
     In the foreground are the blades being made for the other screw. From left to right - the outside edge of the blade shaped, cut from the strip, tapered towards the hub, the 'outside corners' slightly rounded, and the inside edge slightly hollowed to suit the hub (not very visible in this photo). In front of it is the hub obviously.
     As the screws are outward-turning the screw being made will be for the port side of the ship. To make the other I'll place the chisel on the other side of the hole and hub to get the opposite pitch. When they're all done I'll cut the rod to the required length, about 3.5mm long. The hub is from 1.6mm rod and the blades from 0.25x2.5mm styrene strip, the blades cut just under 2mm long.
    Well that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 1