New Airfix F-4 Phantom kits...

heloman1

Good afternoon modellers.

I've recently picked up the Airfix F-4 Phantom FGR 2 kit. I was looking for the Royal Navy version. My question is, is there a difference in the kits beside the RAF decals options?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

There are differences in the tailplanes (stabs for our American cousins), The FG.1 (Navy and 43 and 111 squadron RAF) had slotted stabs, the FGR.2 didn't. The FG.1s had the catapult hooks underneath (removed once the FG.1s went to the RAF). The FG.1s had an extendable nose wheel leg for catapult operations - locked once they went to the RAF. Also be aware that when the Phantoms received the RWR fairing on the tip of the tail the RAF ones also got the ILS aerials on the sides of the fin whereas the RN ones didn't. However, once the FG.1s went to the RAF ILS was retrofitted.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Ian. I was aware of the stab difference but wasn't positive, thanks for the reminder re the catapult spools. Seems like I'll have to source another kit.

Unless I start a WIP build and see if any kind BM'er has the stabs they don't need. But then, I need the decal sheet too!

Colin

22 hours ago, iainpeden said:

There are differences in the tailplanes (stabs for our American cousins), The FG.1 (Navy and 43 and 111 squadron RAF) had slotted stabs, the FGR.2 didn't. The FG.1s had the catapult hooks underneath (removed once the FG.1s went to the RAF). The FG.1s had an extendable nose wheel leg for catapult operations - locked once they went to the RAF. Also be aware that when the Phantoms received the RWR fairing on the tip of the tail the RAF ones also got the ILS aerials on the sides of the fin whereas the RN ones didn't. However, once the FG.1s went to the RAF ILS was retrofitted.

The catapult hooks were never removed, they were solid lumps tied into the airframe and it would have taken more effort than it was worth to remove them. Thankfully they didn't stick out so I never banged my head on them but some of those blade aerials  underneath were particularly nasty if you backed into them.

Duncan B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the small vent pipes on the underside of the rear engine fairings, which I believe were also on the FG!? We had a pilot doing his pre flight checks on one of our FGR 2's who gashed his head on one of those little pipes, so his flight was cancelled and off he went to the medical centre to be patched up. I quite often backed into one of the inner wheel bay doors while loading the SUU 23 gun pod. It seemed that every door or panel was designed to cause as much injury as possible to groundcrew ! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

I remember the small vent pipes on the underside of the rear engine fairings, which I believe were also on the FG!? We had a pilot doing his pre flight checks on one of our FGR 2's who gashed his head on one of those little pipes, so his flight was cancelled and off he went to the medical centre to be patched up. I quite often backed into one of the inner wheel bay doors while loading the SUU 23 gun pod. It seemed that every door or panel was designed to cause as much injury as possible to groundcrew ! 🙂

It wasn't just the jets, on the Gannets, there was a sharks fin aerial outboard of the main wheel bays. It caught you between the shoulder blades as you ducked under the wing going aft.

I moved on the Wessex, there wasn't much to catch on bump into but opening the transmission platform and checking oil levels with the rotors running was a little hairy!

Thanks everyone for their input. I think I'm going to have to source an FG1 kit

Colin

Also be aware that the nose gear leg is noticeably thicker than that on the FGR2 (and other Phantoms), and is also slanted back 3 degrees.

Both being legacies of the extra nose gear extension required by the FG1.

spacer.png

Edited by Reparty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did the RAF really lock the extendable nose leg?

I'm sure I remember seeing them at Wethersfield with the leg extended.

They were there while the runway at Wattisham was being resurfaced.

It was a long while ago, so my memory could be playing tricks

On 02/04/2022 at 11:07, heloman1 said:

Good afternoon modellers.

I've recently picked up the Airfix F-4 Phantom FGR 2 kit. I was looking for the Royal Navy version. My question is, is there a difference in the kits beside the RAF decals options?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Shame really as I had one for sale in my for  sale post for a couple months. Gone now but I know someone who might be persuaded to part with it,?

43 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Shame really as I had one for sale in my for  sale post for a couple months. Gone now but I know someone who might be persuaded to part with it,?

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. I may have secured one. I'll let you know.

Colin

On 4/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, heloman1 said:

It wasn't just the jets, on the Gannets, there was a sharks fin aerial outboard of the main wheel bays. It caught you between the shoulder blades as you ducked under the wing going aft.

I moved on the Wessex, there wasn't much to catch on bump into but opening the transmission platform and checking oil levels with the rotors running was a little hairy!

Thanks everyone for their input. I think I'm going to have to source an FG1 kit

Colin

Hah SHAR had a really nasty sharks fin stbd side....had a scar on my back for years ....and there is a famous phot on the front of cockpit RN flight safety mag of some pinger grubber with his head between or close to the dog kennel and the rotating head on a sea king ....ooh stoòpid.

Ask for translations 😆

Edited by junglierating

On 4/4/2022 at 7:53 AM, I Dole said:

Did the RAF really lock the extendable nose leg?

Yes, electrically isolated and the selector switch wire locked for good measure. There may have been other mechanical isolations too (Hyd valves blanked off?) but my memory is getting dim and distanced too.

Duncan B

• Like 1