Vought SB2U-3 Vindicator HiPM 1/48 scale

Good morning, all.

I bought this Vindicator HiPM kit in ...1996:

sb2u_010.jpg

Even two, in fact, because a shop was offering a very attractive price during a sale at that time.
I understood why this model had to be left on their hands.
It's a good short run for families:

sb2u_011.jpg

At the time it was the only SB2U available in 1/48 scale. Accurate Miniature has since released one, which has been taken over by Azur in a French version.
So why do I want to build this one?

Because it's unsaleable.
Because I don't like to throw things away, especially at a time when we're so used to recycling.
Because I own it for my Midway theme.
Because I'm not afraid of chips.

I don't dwell on the history of the aircraft, and I get my hands dirty.
A lot of deburring has to be done on the parts, especially to get something presentable in the cockpit:

sb2u_013.jpg

I thought I would refrain from using evergreen, but now I can't ignore the obstacle:

sb2u_014.jpg

Here is a picture of the bath before painting, just to keep a white memory:

sb2u_116.jpg

Working with multiple materials, to vary the techniques (and pleasure!😆).
I only kept the plastic rectangle which suggests the body of the machine gun. The barrel is made of tubes.
The "turd" behind the headrest is the dinghy storage bag. I used the box piece that I worked and wrapped in a piece of plastic bag, all glued with cyano. The drape with the folds stands out in the paint.

I have included some boxes and other controllers, the radio block:

sb2u_118.jpg

Painted with a roller:

sb2u_213.jpg

HiPM did not show the windows under the cockpit, I added them:

sb2u_214.jpg

I upgraded the engine cover with the long air intake from the model 3:

sb2u_115.jpg

I made a cast of some parts of the Accuratre Miniature kit, like the landing gear struts:

sb2u_311.jpg

Here is the result: 

sb2u_412.jpg

On the morning of 4 June 1942, the crew of 2LT J.Cosley and gunner PFCC.E Cayer were about to take to the air in the SB2U Vindicator, serial number 2094 and registration 7 in VMSB-241:

sb2u_414.jpg

sb2u_413.jpg

The plane is soiled with dust from the Midway runways:
sb2u_416.jpg

sb2u_417.jpg

The Vindicator will take off with a 225 kg (500 lb) bomb, as it does not have enough power to carry a 454 kg (1000 lb) bomb:
sb2u_418.jpg

sb2u_419.jpg

Enjoy.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

Oh……….my………..goodness!!!!!! :gobsmacked:  Eric, I`m speechless.  The amount of effort and the results make for one of the best postings I have seen on this website.  Impressive doesn`t begin to adequately describe this.  I stand and salute your outstanding work here with this Vindicator!!!! :like:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, you really did it! That's great Eric. A lot of extra effort - I know what you've achieved here. Congratulations!

And superb pictures, I'd like to add.

• Thanks 1

Great work Eric. Interesting how in plan view the wings and tailplanes are similar to another of Vought's products, the F4U Corsair.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Good morning all,

I thank you for your messages.

20 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Oh……….my………..goodness!!!!!! :gobsmacked:  Eric, I`m speechless.  The amount of effort and the results make for one of the best postings I have seen on this website.  Impressive doesn`t begin to adequately describe this.  I stand and salute your outstanding work here with this Vindicator!!!! :like:

Mike

Hello Mike,

It's a short run, but fun to work on. I had a few sweats with FM or Mach2, this HiPM kit mounts pretty well.  

17 hours ago, Toryu said:

Wow, you really did it! That's great Eric. A lot of extra effort - I know what you've achieved here. Congratulations!

And superb pictures, I'd like to add.

Hello Michael,

I will continue to follow your assembly to encourage you, and because now I want to build my second copy to make a SB2U-2.

A specimen with yellow wings!😉

16 hours ago, Maginot said:

Good job. Particularly like the chalky paint finish.

I wanted to reproduce the dusty look of the Midway tracks, here is a famous shot from the John Ford film: 

sb2u_316.jpg

As with the other aircraft, darker paint can be seen under the cockpits. The crews and mechanics wiped the dust off by rubbing against the fuselage. I started by washing over the parts I wanted to dirty and then used pastels and chalk dust.

14 hours ago, Wlad said:

Great work Eric. Interesting how in plan view the wings and tailplanes are similar to another of Vought's products, the F4U Corsair.

Cheers,

Wlad

Hello Wlad,

There is definitely a resemblance in the canopy and in tail! :D

Thank you for your participation.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

Hi Eric,

you sure didn't choose the easiest Devastator kit. not that there are dozens of them.

This is modelling at its finest, so congratulations are in order.

JR

• Thanks 1

Impressive Windindicator Eric !!

All my congratulations !!

I also have that kit in the stash, but will start it and an Acc Min at the same time !!

I was about to ask for the first aid band but given the pic... All the aircraft did'nt carried it...

Fine weathering too !!

I'll turn mine into a French one...

:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hello, all.

Thanks for your kindly words, guys! :penguin:

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I also have that kit in the stash, but will start it and an Acc Min at the same time !!

I was about to ask for the first aid band but given the pic... All the aircraft did'nt carried it...

Fine weathering too !!

I'll turn mine into a French one...

:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

So do I!:giggle:

In fact, I have an AZUR/Accurate Miniature Vindicator that I will paint in French, and I am currently starting a second HiPM Vindicator: 

sb2u_510.jpg

My doctor lets me do it, because he says it's good for developing my creativity!:rofl2:

I would like to make a dash two in the sexy colours of VB-3 in 1940:

sb2u_511.jpg

But first, ther is a little job to do, like redoing all the engraving, drilling and sanding things:

sb2u_512.jpg

When I was researching how to decorate my model in the colours of the VMSB-241, I studied the John Ford film.

The take-off sequence in John Ford's film shows several aircraft:

White 2, serial number 2088 flown by 2LT G.T Lumpkin:

sb2u_316.jpg

White 3, serial number 2067 flown by 2LT K.O Campion, and White 1, serial number 2072 flown by Major B.W Morris:

sb2u_314.jpg

White 6, serial number 2045 flown by 2LT J.H Marmande, and White 9, serial number 2064 flown by Captain L.M Williamson:

sb2u_315.jpg

All have the rudder repainted to hide the old red and white marks,
_ 3, 6 and 9 have patches of canvas with plaster, (The Vindicator had problems with structural weaknesses. Mechanics were tinkering with repairs, and pilots could only bomb in a slipstream so as not to lose the tail during a dive). 
_ 2 and 1 have large fuselage markings and a low camouflage limit on the fuselage.
_ 9 has a privileged status with a low camo limit, but a small fuselage roundel.

I have deduced that some SB2Us were "relifted" shortly before the fight; the canvas was consolidated, and paint surfaces were renovated.

I have represented the White 7, for which I could not find any pictures ( so it will be very difficult to say that my model is not in conformity! 😛
This Vindicator could have been one of the "relifted" ones, and I have represented it with more substancial roundels on the fuselage. I have kept the difference of colours between the metallic and the canvas parts to give a little bit of life.

To help you, perhaps?

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, happy modelers.

Thank you both for your messages, and for bringing this post up!

3 hours ago, El Búho de Sevilla said:

I love such unlucky planes as this, and your mastery is so impressive 🙃 (My favorite fragment is the rear gunner's cockpit.) 

so let me show you the painted interior of the second one:

(to the tune of "we've already seen :whistle:" ):

sb2u_514.jpg

The model is almost finished. Photos soon. 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello to all gentlemen modelers,

I finished the second Vindicator, which is a Dash 1:

sb2u_611.jpg

sb2u_613.jpg

My wife finds it so beautifully coloured that she quickly asked me to find a place for it in the window! :rolleyes:

sb2u_612.jpg

All that's missing is the Errol Flynn figure!:giggle:

sb2u_614.jpg

Here is the SB2U-1 with its descendant the SB2U-3:

sb2u_615.jpg

sb2u_616.jpg

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 8

Excellent work Eric! Looking back at my Vindicator build I'm struggling to understand how you achieved such perfect results with the imperfect HiPM kit. Very well done!

• Thanks 1

Such fantastic work on both of your Vindicators. You have really captured the war weary look of the Midway aircraft and the comparison with the yellow wings aircraft is superb. I have the AM SB2U-3 Vindicator kit but really want to make a Dash 1 as I love those yellow wings.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I thank you all for your appreciations.

On 13/07/2022 at 19:20, Toryu said:

Excellent work Eric! Looking back at my Vindicator build I'm struggling to understand how you achieved such perfect results with the imperfect HiPM kit. Very well done!

It is the passion that must guide me! 😁

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35