Flightdeck base material

NavyWessex

Hi all,

Having recently been aboard the RFA Fort Victoria, I am quite keen to model her flight deck in 1/72. Having acquired the flight deck dimensions and converted these into cm, I know the overall size will need to be in the region of 70cm length x 30cm width, so quite a size. Ordinarily I would set about using plastic card for the main decking, which would require several sheets glued together, but I would also like to model part of the stern structure underneath to give the diorama some character.

My question is, what would be the best materials to use to construct such a project? I have considered plasticard decking and sides but concerned about the overall strength and cleanliness of the seams The other option would be plywood.

This is the vessel in question, image courtesy of Flickr user Andy Amor;

51956939721_4a130b774a_b.jpg

Ideally I would like the section highlighted in red as part of the diorama;

DSC-3124.jpg

Any tips appreciated!

• 8 months later...

For the specified dimensions I would go for a basic 10mm plywood structure.

Then I will work around that structure with plastic card building all the required details

• 1 year later...

I am halfway through a 1/32 scale of HMS Iron Duke flight deck .

Its not the full part as you have there but just the flat deck. I am at work at the moment (on nights , its 5 am) so as soon as I can I will pop some pics in.

I drew mine up in my laser engraving software and engraved the deck features on some 4mm plywood just as a flat deck plate.  I engraved the white landing spots and lines so it is an accurate circle , and straight lines and I am part way through weathering it now. I have printed up the deck hold down rings on my resin printer and have some laid flat and some lifted up so i can attach a tie down strop.

You can engrave most things with wood, MDF or Ply. I use poplar as its a good finish and engraves well. I would suggest ply as it wont likely warp and can be engraved easily. I have seen other models built up underneath the flight deck area with plasticard and other moldings etc. 

If you dont have access to a laser engraver as they are quite costly, then i am willing to look into doing it for you. I dont want to infringe any advertising rules so dont know the best way to approach you and offer the help, but i am willing to help if i can. Apologies to admins if i stepped over .