617 Dambuster film accuracy

One 48

On 02/04/2022 at 01:09, Jo NZ said:

The original film was made at MGM studios, Borehamwood (Elstree). Model Lancasters ran down a wire to drop their bombs into a water tank. I'm told that this rig was right beside Elstree Way, so easy to see.

Peter Jackson, AFAIK, won't make the movie if the name of the dog is changed...

The water tank (also used to film Moby Dick, India Jones and others) has gone now and was replaced with the Big Brother House 😟 . If you watch the scene where Wallis is testing explosives against scale model dams, there is a row of trees in the background. Those trees are still there and I can see them from my house.

https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/4448083.tanks-for-the-memory/

• Like 2

The original design was definitely spherical - being based on tests done at the Kingston water tank which used spheres of various sizes (starting with marble and golf balls). In the end, the spherical casings tended to disintegrate and it was found that the "mine" bounced just as effectively as a cylinder. 

Smaller versions of the bomb, such as Highball, retained the spherical shape.

Ironically the Germans had an intact bomb for examination the next day after the raid - one of the Lancs (Burpee's I think) came to grief in Holland and the bomb was salvaged and examined. The details were still classified when the 50s film was made.

SD

On 4/12/2022 at 12:29 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Justin

The dog's name was also a code word for breaching the Möhne dam. I think Stephen Fry changed it into Digger in a script for the mentioned remake. Cheers

Jure

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. Makes it slightly more tricky! 

Pity that the film, from what others have said here, looks to be stalled, perhaps permanently. I see elsewhere on BM however that a Mr J Travolta, an American gentleman as I understand, is working on a film of Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd. If that goes well perhaps that will help other British-flavoured projects.

Justin

Edited by Bedders

Here are the pics I promised of Barnes Wallis and his autograph dated 16th October 1967!

kEUGV2.jpg

IIQfuS.jpg

Front cover of the book. its a bit loose but all still complete.

I am now considering parting with it .

• Like 2