Puma Sd Kfz 234/2+++FINISHED+++

Evening Folks,

Thought i would squeeze another one in if i may?

This is a Revell re-box of the Puma AFV complete with dio base. I haven't built this one before and have been impressed with the other armour kits that have been going on in the GB.

Anyhoo, here are the photos of the box top and pile of bits - all in glorious monotone grey .

Cheers, and "tanks" for looking :) - get it??? - "tanks" for looking!! No??? (i'll get my coat.....)

IMG_20220401_155043.jpg

IMG_20220401_155012.jpg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Titles
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hi Greg,

It's a nice kit - I have built a couple, and of course it can be converted to all of the other 3 versions as well if you had the mind - one with a turret mounted 20mm cannon, and two open topped ones with a short 75mm gun for infantry support and the one which Airfix thought they were moulding with the long 75mm AT gun, which I made.

Pete

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Greg,

It's a nice kit - I have built a couple, and of course it can be converted to all of the other 3 versions as well if you had the mind - one with a turret mounted 20mm cannon, and two open topped ones with a short 75mm gun for infantry support and the one which Airfix thought they were moulding with the long 75mm AT gun, which I made.

Pete

Cheers Pete, 

I got the Airfix kit not long ago, which looks good too😄

4 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Pete, 

I got the Airfix kit not long ago, which looks good too😄

Hi Greg,

I built one when it came out and was pleased with it - until I discovered the monumental error! Airfix haved placed the gun on what seems to be the chassis of the earlier SdKfz 231 series, at least as far as the mudguards go - the actual body may be OK. I have seen a conversion with the correct continuous one piece mudguards of the 234, probably by DaveCov and it looks fine. I know Airfix got a lot of Flak about it but seem to have ignored it as they are still releasing it from time to time, including recently. Both types did have an open topped version with a short 75mm gun, probably taken from obsolete Panzer IV, but only the 234 had the long gun, but then you probably know that already.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi Greg

Great to see you building this one, I'm interested to know what the colours are that a lot of German AFV's get painted, those red/brown and green stripes.

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Greg

Great to see you building this one, I'm interested to know what the colours are that a lot of German AFV's get painted, those red/brown and green stripes.

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat👍

Aye, the Germans were very imaginative with their camouflage schemes. I think I will be having a bash at the stripey version, which will be a challenge for the hairy stick s I use 😳

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Greg,

I built one when it came out and was pleased with it - until I discovered the monumental error! Airfix haved placed the gun on what seems to be the chassis of the earlier SdKfz 231 series, at least as far as the mudguards go - the actual body may be OK. I have seen a conversion with the correct continuous one piece mudguards of the 234, probably by DaveCov and it looks fine. I know Airfix got a lot of Flak about it but seem to have ignored it as they are still releasing it from time to time, including recently. Both types did have an open topped version with a short 75mm gun, probably taken from obsolete Panzer IV, but only the 234 had the long gun, but then you probably know that already.

Pete

Thanks Pete! I was blissfully ignorant of the failings of the Airfix kit as I'm not so well versed in AFVs. Interesting to to know though.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

One last comment and then I will leave you to get on with your build.

The SdKfz 231 series 6 wheelers like Pat has just built were not good off road so they were replaced by an 8x8 armoured car, which just to be confusing was also the SdKfz 231 series, but with (8 Rad) added to distinguish them from the earlier (6 Rad). In time the 231 was at least partially replaced by the improved and rather better looking 234 series like your Puma.

This is a Roden SdKfz 231 (8 Rad) I build recently- must get round to putting the decs on and finishing it.

DSC06354-crop

As you can see it has paired mudguards, whilst the 234 has a continuous one, and the hull shape may be slightly different. Airfix got a bit confused it seems.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of updates on this one. Real ilfe got in the way plus my youngest son has shown a renewed interest in model building and i have been indulging him in the hope that he can help me build the stash!

Anyhoo here is a couple of progress shots and the finished article to complete my contribution to this mammoth and hugely enjoyable GB. The kit proved to be quite a challenge compared to the aircraft stuff I am more used to and if i'm honest was a wee bit of a chore to finish. 

I am not entirely happy with the paint job on the Puma and son numbah 2 said it looks like its been tie dyed! Oh hum, better luck next time :) 

Pics....

IMG_20220422_094510.jpg

IMG_20220422_094523.jpg

IMG_20220422_094556.jpg

IMG_20220528_184945.jpg

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg 

• Like 5

• GREG DESTEC changed the title to Puma Sd Kfz 234/2+++FINISHED+++