To Strip or Paint Over

EC182

I lightly sanded everything down and went at it with the Mr. Paint Remover, using cotton buds and makeup pads.

It's good stuff. The paint didn't come off quite as easily as in the video, but come off it did, with a little bit of patience.

About 30 minutes was required to strip the upper surface of one wing. As that's all I can generally manage at a time (if even), it'll take a few more days to finish the job.

The plastic appears unaffected and restored to its original condition, except that - and this could be my imagination - it now appears to be a shade lighter than it was out of the box.

Thankfully, glue and filler seem to be unaffected also.

It's a bit difficult to get into the crevices around the wing fences, but I'll tidy those up later on.

I'd post a picture, but I don't see an option for it here.

Edited by EC182

Hi there,

I'd definitely strip the paint and start again.

I like making model airliners, so whenever an airline introduces a new livery (which is quite often nowadays) I'll strip-off the old livery and repaint rather than buy another model.  I currently use Revell Paint Remover which does an excellent job. Only thing to watch is that the fluid tends to creep under making tape so, if you need to protect any of the existing paint or sensitive areas like your cockpit, its best to position masking tape with a bit of a margin and then (after stripping) sand away the unwanted paint in this boundary area. It works for me, so it has to be simple!!

Best of luck

Tim

16 hours ago, Timo said:

Hi there,

I'd definitely strip the paint and start again.

I like making model airliners, so whenever an airline introduces a new livery (which is quite often nowadays) I'll strip-off the old livery and repaint rather than buy another model.  I currently use Revell Paint Remover which does an excellent job. Only thing to watch is that the fluid tends to creep under making tape so, if you need to protect any of the existing paint or sensitive areas like your cockpit, its best to position masking tape with a bit of a margin and then (after stripping) sand away the unwanted paint in this boundary area. It works for me, so it has to be simple!!

Best of luck

Tim

How do you apply the Revell Paint Remover?

If it's just acylic paints, the stuff that Hannants do called Purisol and comes in small or large bottles  works well  without harming plastic. Also it makes a good paint thinner for acrylics.

Just as an aside, on purely resin kits, I successfully used cellulose thinners to strip paint off.  Again, no harm to the model.

3 hours ago, EC182 said:

How do you apply the Revell Paint Remover?

Hi mate,

Revell Paint Remover - you just brush it on and after a few minutes the paint reacts and starts to crinkle and lift. I then use an old toothbrush to remove the paint especially from panel lines, aided by a small plastic scraper to help lift any stubborn paint. It doesn't affect the plastic and leaves a nice clean surface just like when you first built the kit. Just note my warning about fluid creep under masking tape - if you are trying to preserve some of the existing paintwork, leave a good margin when masking.

Hope this helps, Tim

Cheers Tim, appreciate it.

I finished the job with Mr Paint Remover and am very happy with the result. A bit of primer and some black basing and it'll be good to go again