Albatros D.11 Jasta 26

Hello all. This is the Albatros D.II from Eduard in 1/48 scale. I had had this in the stash for about 12 years, and always baulked at building it. I wanted to do a 'varnished ply' scheme, but was unable to pluck up courage to do it. I had a go with an Airfix 1/72 Albie last year and got something okay-ish by mistake. This time, I decided to try using oils for the wood effect. I did that for the interior and successfully managed to occupy the week or so I had to wait for that lot to dry. By the time I got to the fuselage, I changed my mind and used acrylics and dry-brushing to get the effect. I think it has worked.

All in all, the Eduard kit was pretty enjoyable to build. I did not use all of the photo etch as I was selective as to what was worthwhile and what wasn't. The non-wood parts were brush-painted with Humbrol enamels thinned with ColourCoats' naphtha thinner. a build log (detailing my errors!) is here:

I had lots of help with the build, for which I am very grateful indeed. Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

DSCN8562

DSCN8563

DSCN8564 (2)

DSCN8566

DSCN8568

DSCN8569

DSCN8571 (2)

The model is finished in the markings of Vzfw. Rudolf Weckbrodt from Jasta 26, 1916.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 27

Ray -

This is every inch an Albatros DII - really great work all round.   The wood effect to the fuselage is excellent and has been well rigged.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ray S said:

I wanted to do a 'varnished ply' scheme, but was unable to pluck up courage to do it. I had a go with an Airfix 1/72 Albie last year and got something okay-ish by mistake. This time, I decided to try using oils for the wood effect. I did that for the interior and successfully managed to occupy the week or so I had to wait for that lot to dry. By the time I got to the fuselage, I changed my mind and used acrylics and dry-brushing to get the effect. I think it has worked.

I

Looking at the pics I instantly thought that you had used sort of a plywood foil on this one, so - to my eyes - your method has worked in a most convincing way.

Congrats!

Pat

• Thanks 1