Airfix 1/72 BAe Sea Harrier FRS1

Good evening mates,

I'll join this GB with Airfix Sea Harrier

sea-harrier-frs1-001.jpg

Of course, this option of markings will be used

sea-harrier-frs1-002.jpg

Here are the sprues - still sealed in original bag

sea-harrier-frs1-003.jpg

And I will use this package of aftermarket - don't know actually whether this Pavla set is made for this Airfix kit, or older one, but I'll manage somehow to use these parts - they really seem to improve the look of the pilot's "office"....

sea-harrier-frs1-004.jpg

Cheers, and see you soon in progress stage...

Srđan

• Like 13

You've got the perfect match there Srđan as the Pavla set is designed to fit that kit. How well it fits I don't know but sure your skill set will make it so :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for this such a late update - I've been busy preparing for now finished Mosonshow held in Mosonmagyarovar some 10 days ago, so my modelling mojo suffered a bit.

Now I'm coming back, although slowly, so here are first visible steps on my Shar.

Fuselage halves were modified in cockpit area in order to accomodate Pavla resin cockpit - I'm actually surprised that cockpit fits reasonably well, some sanding here and there and it will be ok.

I've sprayed some cockpit and engine parts with grey and black Surfacer, so next photo update should represent finished cockpit.

sea-harrier-frs1-005.jpg

Front wheel well had an awfull ejection pinmark, so I had to remove it, and to reconstruct that "pipe" structure using stretched sprue (dark grey cross in the middle)

sea-harrier-frs1-006.jpg

I was preparing mentally for fixing exhaust nozzles as they were made from two halves, making very visible seam requiring some styrene sheets to cover it... but... fortunatelly I found this Aires aftermarket on Mosonshow, so with no hesitance bought it! :D 

sea-harrier-frs1-007.jpg

Difference is very noticable!

sea-harrier-frs1-008.jpg

I'll spend following period of time to paint cockpit details, so I'll make new photo update then....

Regards,

S.

• Like 9

Cockpit is finally finished - painted, detailed and wash applied.

sea-harrier-frs1-009.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-010.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-011.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-012.jpg

And this is how should fit into fuselage - some tweaking will be required, but I expect no major problems...

sea-harrier-frs1-013.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-014.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some progress since last update.

I've assembled engine intake with fan blades...

sea-harrier-frs1-015.jpg

...and soon after that the rest of the interior parts were assembled with fuselage halves and wings, and all the seams sanded where required.

sea-harrier-frs1-016.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-017.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-018.jpg

Pavla cockpit fitted reasonably well in the end.. not perfect but I am satisfied.

sea-harrier-frs1-019.jpg

Few more parts are left to assemble, and hopefully painting stage will come soon.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Radome, intakes and horizontal stabilizers are now glued, and all panel lines repaired, and re-engraved.

I have to remake HUD as I broke that part during assembling of other parts 😕

sea-harrier-frs1-020.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-021.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

Thanks for the support mates!

I've done with few more details - Aden cannons were added and I've drilled barel holes, and pylons were attached to the wings.

sea-harrier-frs1-022.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-023.jpg

Canopy and windshield are masked with Tamiya tape, and ready for installment, but I have to modify instrument panel cover as windshield can't fit at the moment, so some sanding is on the schedule for tomorrow.

Also, I have to make HUD holders as I broke them while manipulating the kit during sanding phase... :( 

sea-harrier-frs1-024.jpg

Hopefully soon we're in primer stage!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Primer is on!

sea-harrier-frs1-025.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-026.jpg

I've drilled out a bit more those holes on Aden cannons, they look more realistic now...

sea-harrier-frs1-027.jpg

Next phase is preshading, and very soon we begin with painting of cammo!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Camouflage is done - Gunze H333 Extra Dark Seagrey, lightened with few drops of white to give it a bit weathered look.

sea-harrier-frs1-030.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-031.jpg

Exhaust nozzles were painted with Gunze Stainless metalizer, and they definitely look way too better than those from kit!

sea-harrier-frs1-032.jpg

Next layer will be gloss coat as a base for decals...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

As panel lines on this kit are very deep, I chose not to fill them with Mr. Surfacer but also not to do classic wash in the end, but only dot filtering with White artistic oil.

Idea was to try to simulate rainmarks on fuselage and wings, as this bird was stationed on aircraft carrier, and weather was pretty harsh in that period of year.

Accompanied with previously done faded cammo, I think I've managed to do this not so bad 😕

Final semigloss coat is also sprayed on, so now we're closer to finish line... just assembling of smaller parts and detailing is left to do...

sea-harrier-frs1-035.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-036.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-037.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-038.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-039.jpg

Small parts are also almost done.. some small detail painting is left to do...

sea-harrier-frs1-040.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

@Planebuilder62 Thanks for the info. I have looked various photos of FRS.1 examples, and it's pretty inconsistent - some of them do have front nozzles in camo color, while some have it in steel/exhaust color. I may leave it as is if I don't find confirmation for this one, at least nozzle looks way better in metal color to me :)

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srkirad said:

I have looked various photos of FRS.1 examples, and it's pretty inconsistent - some of them do have front nozzles in camo color, while some have it in steel/exhaust color

I haven't got far enough into my FRS.1 build to check this yet, but that's certainly true of RAF GR.3s

Edit:

I've had a look through my references and it's very hard to tell with most photographs as the EDSG looks so similar to the stainless steel of the front nozzle. But a couple of good photos from WAPJ are more helpful;

y4mDTc4ElHH_P5vLCxK7kp7lY282SCTjE8S02wfJ

A 801 Sqn FRS.1 launches from HMS Ark Royal. I'd say the front nozzle is unpainted.

y4mbtp41GWPbIbK_FrMg8px_rTyD8AoDm2eW073l

Another good photo from WAPJ - a FRS.1 with unpainted front nozzle next to a FRS.2 at Yeovilton. There were lots of FRS.2s in the feature and all had unpainted front nozzles.

16 hours ago, srkirad said:

idea was to try to simulate rainmarks on fuselage and wings, as this bird was stationed on aircraft carrier, and weather was pretty harsh in that period of year.

Accompanied with previously done faded cammo, I think I've managed to do this not so bad 😕

Looks very effective S.

Going very well!

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm calling it done!

Final subtle weathering was done with Tamiya weathering sets and MIG pigments.

I did some small mistakes and misses, but some of them were out of my control, so I hopefully managed to represent Falklands SHAR as realistic as it was....

sea-harrier-frs1-041.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-042.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-043.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-044.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-045.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-046.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-047.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-048.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-049.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-050.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-051.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-052.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-053.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-054.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-055.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-056.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-057.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-058.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-059.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-060.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-061.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-062.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-063.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-064.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-065.jpg

sea-harrier-frs1-066.jpg

Thanks for comments, critiques and suggestions during work.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 2