Hi guys,

I couldn't miss this GB as I was 9 when all this kicked off and still have some strong memories of all the news updates etc. I am in with the Airfix reboxing of the Special Hobby kit, which apparently is not the easiest of builds so I will probably regret it! I also have the Xtradecals Falklands sheet so I may use those instead of the kit scheme.

Cheers

Dave

IMG_20220331_151405

• Like 14

Well I have made a start, and the fit so far has been interesting. As I have read, the lack of locating tabs makes things more difficult so I took my time joining the fuselage halves. The cockpit area attaches to the bottom of the front of the fuselage which then joins to the rest of the fuselage, and the fit is not great. Out with the filler and sanding stick....

IMG_20220413_171707

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress made but considering there are only a few steps to build this model I have not progressed very far! There has been a lot of filling and rubbing down with most areas acceptable (it is not going to be great, my skills are rather rudimentary). The wings are attached and I now need to fill the rather huge gaps against the fuselage.

IMG_20220504_150028

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:29 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooooh This is one of my Unicorn kits, mind if I tag along ? 

Be my guest, although I think you may find out the best way not to build it by my efforts!

All now assembled bar the undercarriage and prop assembly with a coat of primer. The canopy is narrower than the fuselage so the fit is not great and it looks like I need to apply a little more filler to blend the windscreen into the nose. Still, all in all it looks like a Pucara.

IMG_20220520_165738

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this kit in the stash so like other on here I'm keen to learn how it goes together. 

I have an additional complication, the the previous owner managed to lose not one but both props.

So if anyone has any bright ideas where there can be found. I'm all ears !

Best of luck, it's looking great already. :like:

Cheers Pat 

45 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I've got this kit in the stash so like other on here I'm keen to learn how it goes together. 

I have an additional complication, the the previous owner managed to lose not one but both props.

Cheers Pat 

Isn't it ex-Special Hobby?

If so, probably needs a little care during assembly but no bother to you. Fellow member Bren has this one on the bench over on the IPMS Ireland forum - build thread linked here..

No props? What about an abandoned version from Goose Green in a little diorama? 🤔

Edited by Dermo245
spelling errors
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Please accept my apologies for the lack of progress. I screwed up the Airfix paint scheme so had to strip the paint off and start again. I have gone with the Xtradecals' scheme instead as it was easier to mask up! Pictures to follow in due course.

It is the Special Hobby kit minus the resin etc. but seen as my modelling skills seem to be disappearing it has not been particularly straight forward to build. Still, it looks like a Pucara I guess.

Dave

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Pat 

I wonder if Aeroclub's P057 propeller pair would be suitable.  I've 2 sets and they were designed for the Astazou-engined Jetstream if memory serves.

I have this kit lurking somewhere, so I'll be following this thread for sure.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I wonder if Aeroclub's P057 propeller pair would be suitable.  I've 2 sets and they were designed for the Astazou-engined Jetstream if memory serves.

Thanks for the tip 👍 

I'll keep a look out for a pair

Cheers Pat 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:16 PM, JosephLalor said:

Hi,

Yes those Aeroclub props were for the Astazou powered version of the Jetstream, but according to the Putnam book on Handley Page, unlike earlier Astazou powered planes such as the Pucara, which had Ratier props, the Jetstream had Hamilton Standards. What if any difference there might be I have no idea! While intended for a different engine I was wondering if PO66 - a 3 blade Hartzell prop for the Tucano might be a possibility if you could find a pair. Having said that I have just remembered that Tony W gave me a job lot of Aeroclub bits he recovered from Merlin Models when they either stopped selling them, or closed down, and I dug them out and guess what-

DSC06839-crop

Some of the stuff had Aeroclub reference labels on but neither of these two packets have - the one to the right has been marked as Astazou as you can see and whoever wrote it clearly was thinking Pucara but there is only 1. However, the pair on the left, although very similar, have smaller spinners so I suspect they may be the PO-66 Hartzells. I have no idea what diameter the Pucara props were but these are a scale 3.24 metres, say 10'7" plus or minus the odd inch or two. 

So, Pat @JOCKNEY, as Tony sent them for me to use or pass on for somebody else to use, if they are likely to be of any use to you send me a PM.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am calling this complete. To be honest I am amazed it is still largely in one piece as I have grown to hate it as the build progressed. I messed up the first paint scheme so had to strip it and start again, this time using the Xtradecal scheme from their Falklands set. The paint was generally horrible and I had to use some of the Airfix decals missing from the Xtradecals sheet; being from the early Hornby period the decals are truly awful. Some of the parts fit is dire and the instructions are plane wrong at times. The prominent under-fuselage aerials have been donated to the carpet monster post-painting so I will need to fabricate more in duue course. I have seen other modellers turn this into a work of art but it is beyond where my head is at and my current skill level. It has confirmed to me that I am not enjoying group builds at the moment. As an aside I built an old Airfix Fw190 D9 and loved it, so I will complete the two other GBs I have signed up to this year then have a year doing my own thing. Anyway, rather poorly finished, here it is.

Dave

IMG_20220721_070858 IMG_20220721_070906 IMG_20220721_070917 IMG_20220721_070932

• Like 6