F/A-18E & F Kit recommendations 1/72?

Julien

I have found the 1/72 Hasegawa F & G versions to be very good. I haven't built the E as the RAAF don't use it but as it's based on the same mouldings it should be comparable.

1 hour ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I would advise against Revell kit. I bult one some 20 years ago and it has several issues: its shape is not accurate, still has A-B-C variants air brake between stabilizers, wings-intakes assembly is a bit fidly ... Cheers

Jure

I'm no Super Hornet expert but I think that was the original Revell issue, using Italeri moulds

There is a later 2012 Revell new-tool (link) which is quite different and reissued in 2022.  From what I recall, this newer mould has both strengths and weaknesses compared with the Hasegawa mould

42 minutes ago, exdraken said:

all the above, but

anything specidic you wanna build? (early vs late SH?, squadron?)

I have decals for this;

VFA-137-Kestrels-047.jpg

and this

1129110-10105-18-pristine.jpg?impolicy=o

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Julien said:

Any idea what the Academy E is like?

Academy's E and F Hornets (not to be confused with their A/B/C/D "Legacy" Hornet series) are examples of their 'easy build' style - snap-together kits, albeit with generally very good shapes and overall level of detail. There are some detail parts that are compromised by their press-fit attachment points, but if you're not looking for a superdetailed kit - and especially if you have a well-stocked spares box for pylons/rails/weapons, etc. then it's a worthy kit but second tier to Hasegawa or Revell AG.  I believe there may be a build in the current Hornet group build subforum if you want to see how it builds up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

Academy's E and F Hornets (not to be confused with their A/B/C/D "Legacy" Hornet series) are examples of their 'easy build' style - snap-together kits, albeit with generally very good shapes and overall level of detail. There are some detail parts that are compromised by their press-fit attachment points, but if you're not looking for a superdetailed kit - and especially if you have a well-stocked spares box for pylons/rails/weapons, etc. then it's a worthy kit but second tier to Hasegawa or Revell AG.  I believe there may be a build in the current Hornet group build subforum if you want to see how it builds up.

Cheers, dont want then so will stump for the Hasegawa E and the new Revell F

Concerning the Hasegawa Super Hornets. The earlier Hasegawa kit does not have ECS exhausts, the later kits do. Not sure exactly when Hasegawa upgrades their molds. Of course after market ECS exhausts are available.

My father built the superhornet in digial camo several years ago (in 2013). He used revell model kit (3 reasons - much cheaper than Hasegawa, provided decals in kit offer kestrels marking and this kit has ECS exhaust pipes between the fins) and dxm decals.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04298-f-a-18e-super-hornet--102256

https://dxmdecals.com/shopping/ols/products/172-super-hornet-fa-18e-usn-vfa-137-kestrels-cag-2011

From my personal experience:

1. Revell, the later moulds (04298, 04864 & 03834);

2. Hasegawa, the later moulds (from 2011 onwards, with the correct ECS exhausts);

3. Academy, nem moulds (12547, 12565 & 12567).

Hope it helps. ;) 

• Like 1