Airliners cigarette cards

rob Lyttle

I picked up an album of Players cigarette cards in an album a couple of weeks ago for peanuts, and it's an interesting thing to look through. 

IMG_20220331_124039

There's no date on the album, "price one penny", but the era becomes apparent looking through the content. 

The Lufthansa entries feature the "nasty logo" on the red band, plenty of flying boats, DH86s, and some great French items. 

IMG_20220331_124146

IMG_20220331_124114

I don't suppose the information contained is reliable reference material, although it's all contemporary, but there is inspiration to be had just looking through. 🤔😊💡

Anybody else got interesting artefacts related to the Golden Age? 

• Like 7

Hi, I have this album too. I also have "Aeroplanes (Civil)" and "Aircraft of the Royal Air Force" from the same stable. Both late thirties, the RAF one is landscape but otherwise similar.

'Of their time', but nice things to have. I did have some loose cards, if i find them they will have the issue date.

Regards, Matt.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I picked up an album of Players cigarette cards in an album a couple of weeks ago for peanuts, and it's an interesting thing to look through. 

🤔😊💡

I use similar items with old builds a lot. The cigarette cards below were used for the colour scheme on a restored FROG Penguin kit for instance.

IMG-9282.jpg

A plastic 1960's FROG Whittley got built as a nod to wooden solid kits back in the FROG GB. An old Aiyrida plan, a period recognition book and yet more cigarette cards were used as props around the build.

IMG-9387.jpg

Older builds sometimes need all the help they can get on display. I find that adding period references to them puts them in context with the time they were issued. The possibilities are endless.

• Like 4

I have that too ,nice set of pictures , an interesting part of early airliners/airlines history. Got the RAF set aswell 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 13:24, rob Lyttle said:

Well...since you asked. I have got this little fella that I found at a car boot sale a few years ago. The wings are a little bashed about at the tips, due no doubt to some over exuberant playtime adventures, but I was pleased to find all the propellers in good order. By Meccano, a Short Empire flying boat.

2022-04-02_06-31-33

I've only ever managed to add a little Gloster Meteor to the 'collection'. He sits on a shelf in my den, and evokes thoughts of adventure :pilot:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smudge said:

I have got this little fella

That's a lovely little survivor from back in the day. I think pristine toys like Dinky cars still in their boxes and unmarked are a bit spooky, or sad. So much playtime gone to waste! Never fulfilled their destiny 😎 That little guy has really lived life to the full, hasn't he? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I think pristine toys like Dinky cars still in their boxes and unmarked are a bit spooky, or sad. So much playtime gone to waste! Never fulfilled their destiny 😎

I'd never thought of it like that, but yes I can see that. I quite like the one's that have seen a bit of action.

15 hours ago, Tweener said:

Ive collected a few of these over time, probably about 40 by now. I'll have to find them when I'm home next and start posting them

I could easily see me becoming a collector of these, they're lovely things and don't take up too much room. Luckily I don't come across them very often :lol:

I'd be interested in seeing some of your collection, when you get the time.

On 31/03/2022 at 14:32, TonyW said:

.............The cigarette cards below were used for the colour scheme on a restored FROG Penguin kit for instance.

.....need all the help they can get on display. I find that adding period references to them puts them in context with the time they were issued. The possibilities are endless.

That's a nice idea. Those models look great.

• Thanks 1