Airfix 1/72 Handley Page Hampden

I just recently completed the old Airfix kit of the Hampden with most of an Airwaves PE interior installed.  The PE parts really help with an otherwise bare interior.

tMVS0F4.jpg

KPtSdQF.jpg

Falcon vac transparencies were used except for the nose, the Airfix part was used there after all the framing was sanded off.  I also sanded down the exterior rivets until just a hint of them remained.  Markings are for a 408 Sqn. RCAF machine, summer 1941. 

GBeFvy1.jpg

SMvuYXm.jpg

3GKQauz.jpg

1vcve1l.jpg

XRPiiz8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

It really doesn’t look like an “old” Airfix kit!  Great job.

How did you find using those etched panels that represent the internal frames? Not seen that done before, but they look convincing once painted.

Dave

It does look really good, considering the plastic you started with!

Lucky you to have had the PE,as it must have made your life much easier.

I have started the same kit in one of the GBs, but without PE... I am impressed by your painting of the exhaust collectors: very precise painting on such a difficult shape.

Congrats!

JR

7 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

It really doesn’t look like an “old” Airfix kit!  Great job.

How did you find using those etched panels that represent the internal frames? Not seen that done before, but they look convincing once painted.

Dave

I wasn't sure about those large panels either and almost didn't use them.  But once painted, given a dark wash and dry brushed with a light color, they looked much better and to be honest they look pretty neat in there with the light from the skylight on them.

-Dan

That's come up really well. What did they call it? The Flying Suitcase? No wonder. I attempted one of these back in the 60s. Don't remember completing it, which you certainly have to a high standard. 

Great job on that old kit!!

I've had this kit in my stash since the early 1980s (no kidding - it's the oldest) and I too have the Airwaves PE set. Your kit is inspiring. Well done!

Miguel