Falklands War Nimrod MR.2 info please

Pappy

G'day people,

I recently came into possession of the Airfix 1/72 Nimrod kit for a bargain price courtesy of a swap and sell and one of the (many) options provided is for an Operation Corporate MR.2.

I am largely ignorant on this type and was not even aware of its participation until recently. The kit provides the option for two twin underwing mounted AIM-9 launchers  and my  research has revealed that these were indeed installed during patrols. There are also some other 'goodies' included for the weapons bay which I am trying to identify. 

My questions are:

1. What type of AIM-9s were loaded and what colour were they?

SHARs were fitted with AIM-9Ls supplied directly from US stocks forward positioned at Ascension Island. These were grey, if AIM-9Ls were also carried by Nimrods then they might also have been grey vice earlier variants which were white (some early 9Ls were also white but once production ramped up they all went grey), the pics I have seen are of poor quality and it is difficult to say if they are white or grey and as they are taken from some distance so it is hard to determine the variant.

The forward wings are usually the best way to ID the variant as the L/M variant have the characteristic double delta shape. The kit supplied examples are 'rudimetary' at best and kinda resemble AIM-9Ls but I intend to replace these with better examples anyway

2. Are there any pictures available of the Nimrod twin launcher?

I am convinced that Airfix have stuffed up the missile launcher rails. The rails are attached to the pylon underside but the launcher cross section has the flat vertical edges facing inwards and the missiles are supposed to be  attached to the outside edge which taper to a point. I intend to cut the launchers off and re-attach them with the flat edge facing outside and the tapered edge on the inside

3. What was loaded to the weapons bay?

The kit supplies the weapons option of a single  AGM-84 (Harpoon) missile which was cleared for use towards the conclusion of the conflict.

There are also three torpedoes supplied, I would guess Mk.46?.

Also there are groups of double stacked cylinders which I assume to be sonobuoys? 

The instructions are not very helpful as they do not indicate what these items are supposed to be. I am away form home presently so cannot put up a scan of the destructions or pictures of the items but I am sure the Nimrod 'experten' out there are all over this.

The Nimrod could also be loaded with BL755s and other bombs so if anyone can shed some light on what was operationally loaded that would be much appreciated

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

My picture, taken at the RAF Alconbury air display 1983. Sorry it's the only view I have, none of any other directions.

spacer.png

Obviously these were drill missiles for display. But they were AIM 9G's, live missiles are the same white colour.

You are correct about the launchers, they would have been Lau 7a launchers. The curved edge would be towards the pylon and the flat side with the rails goes missile side.

Sorry, I can't help with the other questions.

Rob.

• Like 2

Thanks Rob, that is already helpful.

I have been doing some on-line reading at it looks like the MR.2s were wired for 9Gs so white would make sense. The AIM-9Ls were still new(ish) in '82 at the priority would have been the SHARs  which were already able to employ the rear aspect AIM-9G. The all aspect AIM- 9Ls were already on order (to supercede the 9Gs) before the start of the conflict but the urgency meant that US stocks of these were flown out to Ascension ahead of the task force. 

The rails look like LAU-7As, at least good enough for this kit as they will be under the wings and hopefully the focus will be on the store not the carrier.

Still, If I am going to cut them apart and re-attach maybe I should replace the launchers as well?

Maybe a partial load with one missile per side to show off the empty launcher? The heaters were carried for self defence and  being limited to a rear aspect acquisition combined with a small WEZ imeans it  would have required the Nimrod to 'sneak' up on any unsuspecting target which would have been a big ask.  It would more likely have been a case of shoot them in the face and run!

Still it looks impressive and will no doubt raise some eyebrows.

I am intrigued by the ability to carry BL755s, that would look pretty tough as well as showing off  the multi-role capability of the platform

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

I am intrigued by the ability to carry BL755s, that would look pretty tough as well as showing off  the multi-role capability of the platform

Vulcans were plumbed to deliver sea mines, so cluster bombs in a Nimrod come as no surprise.

A little info from the book Falklands the Air War. The weapons pylon was fitted where the Nimrod was to have had Martel fitted. The trial aircraft for the Sidewinders was MR2 XV229, making its first flight after modification on May 26. Accpetance checks of the AIM-9 fit were completed on May 28. MR2(P) XV232 (back from Ascension Island) became the first to enter service on May 31, with the first deployment to Wideawake taking place on Jun 5. The book also says that BL755 and 1,000lb He bombs were cleared for fitmant, but does not say how or where. There are pictures in the book showing how the lauchers were fitted and it is how you state with the taper on the inboard side next to the pylon.

Nimrod MR2(P) XV234 first flew after Harpoon conversion on Jun 10 and accpetance checks were completed two days later. The first deployment to Wideawake took place on Jul 2, well after the surrender.

Hope that this is of some help plus I try and find out some more info.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jabba said:

A little info from the book Falklands the Air War. The weapons pylon was fitted where the Nimrod was to have had Martel fitted. The trial aircraft for the Sidewinders was MR2 XV229, making its first flight after modification on May 26. Accpetance checks of the AIM-9 fit were completed on May 28. MR2(P) XV232 (back from Ascension Island) became the first to enter service on May 31, with the first deployment to Wideawake taking place on Jun 5. The book also says that BL755 and 1,000lb He bombs were cleared for fitmant, but does not say how or where. There are pictures in the book showing how the lauchers were fitted and it is how you state with the taper on the inboard side next to the pylon.

Nimrod MR2(P) XV234 first flew after Harpoon conversion on Jun 10 and accpetance checks were completed two days later. The first deployment to Wideawake took place on Jul 2, well after the surrender.

Hope that this is of some help plus I try and find out some more info.

G'day Jabba,

Very useful, thanks.

So no Harpoon installed then :( , I could scrounge up some BL755s from my spares depot if I knew where/how they were loaded.

The racks are probably something generic that could be scratched up but the location and quantity remain a mystery for now...

• 1 month later...

AIM 9Gs we’re fitted as far as I remember to give the Nimrod crews a chance against the Argentine AF B707 being used for long range recce against the task force; not so much for self defence. I remember speaking to the crew of one Nimrod who spent some time stalking the 707 but apparently never got into range. 

The BL755s and 1000lbers were, if memory serves correct, were loaded as the torpedoes were, 3 to each station in the bomb bay.  Aiming for a drop was a crude Perspex bombsight bolted to the left hand side cockpit window.

On 5/15/2022 at 5:44 AM, Roland Pulfrew said:

AIM 9Gs we’re fitted as far as I remember to give the Nimrod crews a chance against the Argentine AF B707 being used for long range recce against the task force; not so much for self defence. I remember speaking to the crew of one Nimrod who spent some time stalking the 707 but apparently never got into range. 

The BL755s and 1000lbers were, if memory serves correct, were loaded as the torpedoes were, 3 to each station in the bomb bay.  Aiming for a drop was a crude Perspex bombsight bolted to the left hand side cockpit window.

Aaah, that would make more sense though a B707 vs MR.2 dogfight would be very interesting to see! 

Thanks very much Roldand,

cheers,

Pappy