1/35 HobbyBoss Toldi I Hungarian Light Tank

Ned

I stumbled across the Toldi a few months ago and knew that I wanted to build one right away. Germany would not supply its allies during WWII, so Hungary decided to build its own. Sweden was one of the few countries prepared to sell to Hungary, and they had what was at the time (1934) one of the best tanks around in the L-60 with sloped, welded armour and torsion bar suspension. Hungary purchased a licence and began to produce their own as means of kickstarting their industry. After many production delays they finally arrived already obsolete with just a 20mm gun and poor armour. A few attempts to up-gun them failed, and when they came up against Russian T-34s they didn't stand a chance.

I've started with the HobbyBoss Toldi I. I bought an SBS resin and PE upgrade set, but have barely used anything other than the lights and storage chest clasps. A metal SBS 20mm gun barrel is on there too.

It's built other than the upper/lower hull that I'll be able to leave until the very end. The weird circular aerial will go on last, and fall off within a week...

The HobbyBoss individual link tracks are absolutely awful, they just don't fit together without forcing them so after making up about 1/3 of one side I gave up and shopped around. Way over-priced but I now have a set of Friul metal tracks to put together (I'm a Friul virgin, so it will be fun).

Here it is in primer:

pW2RlcDL7gCWyC04-FnI5Pva6b28blZQfEarmGlr

And here is what I'm aiming at (excuse the shadows, my light is directly above my desk, useless for taking photos)

I love these odd markings. A green cross on a red octagon? Who can that be?

qtMbqHHoo3ijqV0t13ki97z3hhr52VrCwoVBn7Vu

It will be finished simply, I've realised that I love the build, hate the painting, so I'm just after a nice clean finish for everything that I do from now on. A Toldi III in olive drab will soon join it on the shelf.

• Like 11

I did a couple of hours yesterday and have 120 links cleaned up and pinned in pairs, just a few short of the 125 that makes up a full track. These small tanks are hard work. More links than a Panther tank!

• Like 2

Really pleased with these Friuls. They're not as much work as I feared (maybe 4 hours to do one side), and they're a good fit around the sprocket.

Eagle-eyed viewers will spot that the tracks are on backwards - I was just setting the length, I'll put them on the right way round eventually.

iKkRrxHipPY5B1H2s315Q6iWlHtr3R0H_rHJY0xC

Back to my Beaufighter now...

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I'm back! Ready to get on with the Toldi again now that a few pesky real-life things are out of the way (and my Beaufighter is finished).

Where was I? Oh yes, the Friul tracks are made and burnished, the lower hull is ready for some dust/oil/wear, and the top hull is primered.

We have guests today, but I'll crack on tomorrow, honest! I really, really, really want to build a Panzer III, but I think the Toldi looks too good to not finish now.

7wCyqvLiApmiBJf7SQYtDJTQmnQXdnYgMNV9djqw

• Like 7

On 23/05/2022 at 19:59, Milan Mynar said:

This is my Toldi I, I hope  yours will be better.

Toldi-I-3-020.jpg

Yikes! I can't match that. I have no idea how to paint them in more than one colour. My airbrush skills are going to be challenged.

• 4 weeks later...

Just... can't... summon... the.. will.. to.. finish... this...

SItodS0PAKM0Px-IbB_7uQHO0oMUM1aHi6NRIOcM

I am DESPERATE to start my Panzer III Ausf B, but feel guilty about this Toldi, so I am stuck in no-mans-land building nothing.

I have just fitted the Friul tracks this afternoon after almost a month of doing nothing.

I WILL FINISH IT!!!

• Like 5

Look! look! Preshading and stuff! I don't usually bother, I think that it's more suited to bigger subjects than the dinky tanks I prefer, but I've had a go. Thinking ahead to free-spraying green over yellow camo, and whether or not my clunky 0.4 airbrush is up to it.

I will obliterate this tomorrow with a nice thick coat of Earth Yellow :)

t6cK35hhRaV1HYVx41DFwJeByECtFDtsjJKW_Vyu 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had a go with some freehand painting. At least it's better than I expected, it looks a bit like the suggested scheme, honest! Loads of overspray which I am blaming on my 0.4 tip airbrush rather than my limited airbrushing skills :)

I can almost justify buying a new one based on it not being up to the job...

Onwards and upwards!

Oe-H4-VSx6Apid6-rcfBgdoxVMPTllVypsrrhDnG

• Like 7

Nearly there but I've gone and stripped the paint off the bottom edge of the turret 😠

Too much paint buildup on the raised edge on the hull left no gap between the turret and hull. One twist of the turrent and.... oopsie!

So a note to anyone else that builds one - scrape the raised edge clear of paint before you put the turret in.

Also need to touch up the Hungarian cross because those silly tankers put the crosses right over the hatch hinges. Why did they always do this, did they not think of the anguish that future modellers would face? Some red paint now on my wishlist :)

T9n82_EFlxWirgYBTpFT3QkaONIf44u2SEJqH0_h

• Like 5