For my contribution to this GB, I have decided to go for the Airfix 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.3 - for 2 reasons.  One, because there's a Falklands related scheme straight from the box and two, it's literally the only kit I have in my stash that would fit the bill for the GB - amazing considering my stash never gets any smaller - only bigger :whistle:  It also presents a perfect opportunity to be able to build my first ever Harrier model as well as being a fitting tribute to our armed forces who took part in the conflict.

During the Falklands War, Harrier GR.3s of No. 1 Squadron operated from the aircraft carrier HMS Hermes.  They also fought alongside the Sea Harriers which were used to primarily conduct fleet air defence and combat air patrols against the threat of attacking Argentine fighters.  The GR.3s meanwhile, focused on providing close air support to the ground forces on the Falklands and attacking Argentine positions as suppressing enemy artillery was often a high priority.  However, both Sea Harriers and Harrier GR.3s were used in ground-attack missions against the main airfield and runway at Stanley.

So without further ado - here's how she looks on the the very eye catching box art...

DSC00082

...and here's what you get inside the box:

Instruction Sheet (with scheme I will be using)

DSC00084

DSC00085

Sprues

DSC00086

DSC00087

DSC00089

Clear parts

DSC00097

and Decals

DSC00083

Think that covers everything for now.  Really looking forward to this GB due to both the subject and to the fact it's my first ever Harrier build.

So as always - good luck with your builds everyone and can't wait to see the results in the gallery at the end :thumbsup:

Best wishes

Kris

• Like 14

Hi folks,

Before the build gets officially started tomorrow I'm putting out an appeal for some help please - especially to any Harrier experts out there as to what the correct paint colours would be? :shrug:

When it comes to the best colours for a Harrier G.3 - Airfix would of course have you use Humbrol colours as below:

DSC00085

Could anyone please point me in the right direction as to what the best equivalents of 163, 164 and 166 would be as mentioned above. I use a variety of paints such as Tamiya, Vallejo, Revell etc but I'm not sure whether I may have any correct alternative colours amongst them.

Also, when it comes to the cockpit - Airfix would have you use Humbrol 27 (Sea Grey) - again does anyone have a good colour match for this please?

Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Kris 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated

When I have a kit with paint references I can't use I go to scalemates and try find another kit of same subject and download instructions. 

This is kinetic kit, you can download instructions near bottom and it has all the different paint types listed. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48060-harrier-gr1-gr3--1250616 

An interesting choice, I have this kit in the stash or a similar boxing. I'd have to dig a little to find it!

As stated elsewhere I the GB threads, I had a mate serving on Hermes at the time. I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

On 4/2/2022 at 12:54 AM, arfa1983 said:

When I have a kit with paint references I can't use I go to scalemates and try find another kit of same subject and download instructions. 

This is kinetic kit, you can download instructions near bottom and it has all the different paint types listed. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-k48060-harrier-gr1-gr3--1250616 

Thanks very much for you feedback and advice @arfa1983- it really is appreciated and that's been really helpful :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, heloman1 said:

An interesting choice, I have this kit in the stash or a similar boxing. I'd have to dig a little to find it!

As stated elsewhere I the GB threads, I had a mate serving on Hermes at the time. I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

Thanks Colin - great to have you on board.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the kit justice and pay homage to all those who served in the Falklands and especially your friend who would have no doubt been very familiar with these aircraft if he was stationed on Hermes :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:20 PM, planecrazee said:

Also, when it comes to the cockpit - Airfix would have you use Humbrol 27 (Sea Grey) - again does anyone have a good colour match for this please?

Hi Kris,

You may have sorted the cockpit colour by now, but as I'm just about to start the same kit and I also wondered what the correct colour was for the cockpit, this might be useful;

Although the thread is about the Hawk cockpit grey, I read that Derek Bradshaw worked on RAF jets at the time and should know. So Dark Sea Grey would seem right for the Harrier GR.3 cockpit.

I'll be using Hannants Xtracolor enamels;

X004 Dark Sea Grey BS638

X001 Dark Green BS241 (used to be BS641)

And this thread looks quite good, loads of discussion on Harrier colours;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926409-harrier-gr-3-colors/

Best of luck with the build,

Cheers,

• Like 1