PK-125: Norseman IV/UC-64A - Enzo's descent into madness Chapter 7

Probably my final entry for this groupbuild.

I never had the chace to build one of these back in the day. By the time it had been released, I had joined the RAF. A barrack room isn't very conducive to model building.   I always intended to build one and now is the time!  :thumbsup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I really want to build the box art floatplane option but as you can see on the bottom right of the sprue, one set of support struts for the struts is broken.

spacer.png

But I have a cunning plan!  🦊  :lol: 

Assembky starts with the interior.  I don't think that much will be visible but I went ahead with a modicum of detailing anyway.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I started to fit the kit transparencies but then found that a couple of them were short-shot.  Instead I superglued some thin transparent sheet behind the window apertures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

And then......?!? 

I thought I was behind schedule 😜

Now come ON Enzo.! For what it's worth, the kit legs are very thin and flimsy. I screwed up the float assembly with excess tension in my stretchy rigging lines. I reworked the entire assembly with brass wires etc and much happier now. I tried the ski option when the floats originally gave up, and it was OK, but she looks better on the floats, I think. 

So don't worry about the kit leg parts.. Scratch 'em. 

I'm going to nag you on this one 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm going to nag you on this one 😎

And quite rightly too!  I've fallen back into bad habits by not documenting the build regularly.  So let's rectify that.

I assembled the fuselage and added the windscreen.  This was masked with Tamiya tape while the side windows were simply masked with Copydex.  I have assembled the flaps dropped.

spacer.png

The main airframe fits together nicely and is quite rigid when complete.

spacer.png

I sprayed the underwing radiators silver and masked them before assembly.

spacer.png

Then I primed the model with my usual gret car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

The main colour scheme could be a nightmare.  White and yellow are two of the three worst colours to paint.  So, I fell back on my usual option of acrylic car paints from a rattle can.   White plastic primer first.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then some careful masking.

spacer.png

The yellow colour is Fiat Golden Yellow.

spacer.png

The fuselage undersurfaces were the masked and sprayed with Tamiys XF-96

spacer.png

• Like 5

As @rob Lyttle suggested, I scratch built the float struts from brass rod, in this case 0.75mm.  

spacer.png

While attempting to prime the assembly, it collapsed so I drilled holes in the sides of the floats and used brass rod to replace the cross-members.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I drilled holes in the sides of the floats and used brass rod to replace the cross-members

Yea, it's all a bit like that....!

It's a classy little kit in many respects, but Mbox have gone a bit too lightweight for structural integrity in this area. 

Your solution looks sound 👍

Even then it's a job keeping everything straight, upright, parallel and perpendicular (all at the same time.... 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rob Lyttle said:

Even then it's a job keeping everything straight, upright, parallel and perpendicular (all at the same time.... 😜

As I found out today...  :analintruder:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is looking good Enzo! There is something to say for brass rod, isn't there? The colour scheme looks great and spot on to me. As has been mentioned, it is good to see another of these in the GB.

Ray

• Like 1

Looks good, hope the floats work out okay.

Gutted though, for a minute when you said that you spayed using your favourite auto primer, I thought you'd found a decent rattle can equivalent for Humbrol 24 trainer yellow .  Oh well have to carry on brushpainting it!!!

Chris

40 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Gutted though, for a minute when you said that you spayed using your favourite auto primer, I thought you'd found a decent rattle can equivalent for Humbrol 24 trainer yellow .  Oh well have to carry on brushpainting it!!!

I think that Fiat Golden Yellow is a reasonable match.  I also use Fiat Broom Yellow for things like propeller blade tips.

I've also had good results used a yellow from a rattle can as a primer to get a good coverage and the spraying the final coat with the relevant model paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think that Fiat Golden Yellow is a reasonable match.  I also use Fiat Broom Yellow for things like propeller blade tips.

Must remember that when I get around to building my Gnat as a Yellowjacks machine… 🤔

• Like 1

That yellow appears to be pretty good, viewed from here. 

Referring to the "radiators" under the wings.... Dyou know anything about these?? 

Bearing in mind that the plane is fitted with an air-cooled radial engine!? 

I mean, they're there alright, and I did them yellow with just a bit of dark detail to pick up the grill type surface. 

But they remain a mystery to me. 

NB, there is someone up the road who has a sporty little yellow Fiat Abarth, is this the colour you are talking about? Car looks very nice..... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Referring to the "radiators" under the wings.... Dyou know anything about these?? 

Bearing in mind that the plane is fitted with an air-cooled radial engine!?

Not a thing.  The silver colour is pure modellers' licence on my part.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

NB, there is someone up the road who has a sporty little yellow Fiat Abarth, is this the colour you are talking about? Car looks very nice..... 

It could be.  There is Fiat Golden Yellow and Fiat Broom Yellow.  I have used both on my Matchbox P-12E build.   Er...   which I haven't documented properly yet. :fraidnot: 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It could be.  There is Fiat Golden Yellow and Fiat Broom Yellow.  I have used both on my Matchbox P-12E build.   Er...   which I haven't documented properly yet. :fraidnot: 

For the Abarth, they should have called it Vrooooom yellow 🤭

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2022 at 9:01 AM, rob Lyttle said:

So you've been downtown in Newcastle on a Saturday night, then?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

What a good looking model. Top tip with the brass tubing as well.

I have a Matchbox Seafox has been busted and repaired endlessly. It will get the brass rod treatment the next time it breaks.

I picked up, and put back down again, a copy of this kit on a regular basis during the GB. I was drawn to the wheeled option in olive drab. The invasion stripes made me put the kit away each time.  Maybe it will get done in the next Matchbox GB? I can't see this one being the last somehow.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

I was drawn to the wheeled option in olive drab. The invasion stripes made me put the kit away each time

This is telling you something, TonyW. Go floats and go civil 😇😎👍

• Haha 1