Spanish TF104 Starfighter colours - advice needed

Skyhunter66

I am currently building my third Italeri 1:32 Starfighter and this time its the TF104. I am thinking about do the Spanish option but not sure about the colour call outs in the instructions which seem to suggest flat aluminium. From photographs I've seen they appear to be more of a very light grey colour for the main overall colour. Can anyone advice me on what the correct colours would be?

thanks

Chris

Not my area but recalled this which indicates that there was a change to the paint scheme over time.

https://www.key.aero/article/starfighters-new-colours-revealed-spain

edit:-  I'd go with the grey from photos I have looked at.  The finish is very uniform but that could be aluminium paint as they did on the F-105.  On balance I'd say grey but wonder if they were in aluminium early on and later painted  in grey

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Spanish Starfighters flew in both NMF (with the white/ ADC gray wings) and allover ADC gray finish. 

Cheers,

Andre

Be careful, as far as I remember only one two-seater  ( out of a total 3? was in NMF, all others were in basically the same aur defense grey with white upper wings.

The fins could have slight variations though 

I recommend Series Españolas decals for them by the way!

6 hours ago, Skyhunter66 said:

I am currently building my third Italeri 1:32 Starfighter and this time its the TF104. I am thinking about do the Spanish option but not sure about the colour call outs in the instructions which seem to suggest flat aluminium. From photographs I've seen they appear to be more of a very light grey colour for the main overall colour. Can anyone advice me on what the correct colours would be?

thanks

Chris

Well...both are correct  🙂 Spanish 104's were painted in FS.36595 with white wing tops....except TF-104G CE.8-3 which remained natural metal (also with white wing tops) !

I also recommend the Series Espanolas decals.

HTH

MB

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarcB said:

Well...both are correct  🙂 Spanish 104's were painted in FS.36595 with white wing tops....except TF-104G CE.8-3 which remained natural metal (also with white wing tops) !

I also recommend the Series Espanolas decals.

HTH

MB

Ok thanks Marc - food for thought!

On 3/30/2022 at 5:23 PM, Hook said:

Spanish Starfighters flew in both NMF (with the white/ ADC gray wings) and allover ADC gray finish. 

Cheers,

Andre

They certainly did and you are correct, Andre. I have a Hasegawa TF in the pile awaiting for a set of Series Espanolas Spanish decals so this is very pertinent. I can vouch for these decals, they are excellent. 

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

They certainly did and you are correct, Andre. I have a Hasegawa TF in the pile awaiting for a set of Series Espanolas Spanish decals so this is very pertinent. I can vouch for these decals, they are excellent. 

Martin

Am, no.... as above, they were all and always  ( exept one 2 seater) in ADC grey with white upper wings...!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

Am, no.... as above, they were all and always  ( exept one 2 seater) in ADC grey with white upper wings...!

You are, of course, correct, ;) ..... I think. I need to pull out my Spanish references 

AFAIK ...at those times of Cold War  all the European F-104s were in Federal Standart Colors, Spanish, Germany, flying Dutches, Italian, etc...

So, F-104s under surfaces were FS-17178 , alluminium.

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SouthViper said:

all the European F-104s were in Federal Standart Colors,

Almost all!, Dutch Starfighters were initially delivered in allover RAL7001, later receiving a RAL7012 / 6014 pattern on top. Ours never had the White / ADC Gray wings.

(There are a few shots of Fokker built NMF / white and grey winged Starfighters with Dutch roundels, but these were temporarily marked Luftwaffe ones "borrowed" for a flypast.)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Dutch, German and Italian aircraft all used RAL colours, at least initially. Canadian aircraft also used their own colours, but of course these were not European...

Undersurfaces depended on the user, so no 17178 for everyone, each had their own scheme.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 4:46 PM, Hook said:

This one looks like NMF to me - I may be wrong, of course:

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Stars/wS731.htm

Cheers,

Andre

This one looks grey to me, Look at the difference in "shine" in areas where the grey paint borders with areas that were in natural metal, like on the tail and the rear fuselage. The lighter colour. The overall surfaces also look very similar to the wing undersurfaces and these were (almost) always in light grey on natural metal Starfighters.

We should keep in mind that in the scheme used for Spanish aircraft (also used by other countries), the rear fuselage and a number of other panels were left in natural metal.

• Like 1

Revell 371 with a hint of blue I'd recommend... maybe slightly darkened 371 even...

and here a scan of the Series Espanolas instructions:

14335_0_SE2372_1.jpg

https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Decals/Series-Espanolas/Massstab-1-32/SE2332-F-TF-104G-Starfighter-spanische-Luftwaffe::14412.html

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

Revell 371 with a hint of blue I'd recommend... maybe slightly darkened 371 even...

and here a scan of the Series Espanolas instructions:

14335_0_SE2372_1.jpg

https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Decals/Series-Espanolas/Massstab-1-32/SE2332-F-TF-104G-Starfighter-spanische-Luftwaffe::14412.html

Thats really helpful - thanks. 104-22 is the scheme with the kit and I'm just trying to see if the nose cone is a lighter colour

• Like 2

I have a B/W picture on my hard drive of 104-22 and yes, the nose cone is in a lighter colour in this picture.

In theory the nose cone of the F-104 was supposed to be in FS 16473, as mentioned in the type maintenance manual. When it then comes to the shade this part took over time, things changed quite a bit... I've seen F-104s in 16473 where the radome was lighter than the fuselage, others where the radome was pretty much the same and a few where the radome was darker... in general however the radome looks lighter than the fuselage.

Mind, there were other colours used on the radome of the Starfighters, depending on user and timeframe.