1/12th Scale Scrap Yard

This is another transient diorama, set up in a few minutes for a quick photo shoot on the bench, and then cleared away again.

The wrecked cars are all ‘spares or repair’ diecasts that I’ve bought on Ebay and given the barn find / abandoned restoration look. The shiny ones are mint versions of the same cars. The bench is in my conservatory so it’s natural light which helps with the realism. The camera is an Olympus TG5, using the macro focus stacking facility which gives the good depth of field.

P3300086.jpg

P3300084.jpg

P3300080.jpg

P3300072.jpg

P3300070.jpg

P3300068.jpg

P3300064.jpg

P3300060.jpg

P3300058.jpg

P3300056.jpg

P3300052.jpg

P3300050.jpg

P3300048.jpg

P3300044.jpg

P3300042.jpg

P3300040.jpg

P3300036.jpg

P3300034.jpg

P3300032.jpg

P3300030.jpg

P3300028.jpg

P3300026.jpg

P3300024.jpg

P3300022.jpg

P3300018.jpg

P3300016.jpg

P3300014.jpg

P3300012.jpg

P3300010.jpg

P3300008.jpg

P3300088.jpg

P3300087.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This is fabulous and will repay a lot of my time looking at it. 

May I draw your attention to this GB proposal for which you are clearly a natural.

Bertie, I’m flattered that you think I might be suited to join in with this. However, I don’t think that the way I do things when it comes to wrecks and relics is appropriate for a group build, since I don’t really build anything. I mostly take existing models, and so far they’ve all been diecasts, and turn them into relics and barn finds. Most of my ‘dioramas’ are temporary groupings of models put together only for photo sessions. Also, from the various GB rules and descriptions I’ve read on here it seems the builds are time specific and require work in progress posts - I have nothing planned at the moment and plenty of other projects that need my attention. I do like creating distressed models though, like this Harley Davidson: 1/6th Tamiya Harley Davidson Fat Boy  

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Very nice work. I really like the Corvette steering wheel.

It brings back memories of removing bumpers and such like from the top of a four car stack!

Thanks Tony - I did the same thing to one of my tractors, it's an easy way of making the vehicle look somewhat decayed.

P3263008.jpg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Camwader said:

Bertie, I’m flattered that you think I might be suited to join in with this. However, I don’t think that the way I do things when it comes to wrecks and relics is appropriate for a group build, since I don’t really build anything. I mostly take existing models, and so far they’ve all been diecasts, and turn them into relics and barn finds. Most of my ‘dioramas’ are temporary groupings of models put together only for photo sessions. Also, from the various GB rules and descriptions I’ve read on here it seems the builds are time specific and require work in progress posts - I have nothing planned at the moment and plenty of other projects that need my attention. I do like creating distressed models though, like this Harley Davidson: 1/6th Tamiya Harley Davidson Fat Boy  

No problem, I just didn't want you to miss out. Half of the builds in this almost rule-less GB will be do-overs but there will be a time limit of four months (I think) and in-progress posts are definitely part of the fun. 

• Like 1

Great work on the diorama, it just needs a semi-feral Alsatian and a couple of blokes smoking roll-ups to complete the scene ;) 

Or maybe a couple of young lads trying to manhandle a heavy part off a car at the top of the stack?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Great work on the diorama, it just needs a semi-feral Alsatian and a couple of blokes smoking roll-ups to complete the scene ;) 

Or maybe a couple of young lads trying to manhandle a heavy part off a car at the top of the stack?

I've never done much with figures in 1/12th scale - not since making the Tamiya pit crew back in the '70s. I prefer to work with posable figures in 1/6th scale, like Little Red Riding Hood here, who, with her lupine companion, should keep undesireable characters out of my scrap yard.

P2035074.jpg

P2035079.jpg

P2030059.jpg

P2030024.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Camwader, very impressed with your distressed vehicle modelling.

Would like to see them in the flesh. I live in Shefford, just up the road from you.

Please message me.

Incidentally, are you in any local club like Bedford or Chiltern Scale Model Club?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another arrival in the scrap yard. I acquired very cheaply a built Otaki Mustang Mach 1 on Ebay recently which I couldn't resist 'scrapping'. The model had been built straight from the box without any paint or refinement many decades ago - the original kit came out in about 1972. I know this one was an early one as it is motorised, with working lights and metal wheels, none of which are in the later Doyusha releases. It had been painted all over in clear varnish which had turned brown, and three of the tyres were completely ruined, so it looked pretty sorry for itself. I borrowed some tyres from my unmade Doyusha version for the photos. More photos here: 1/12th scale Mustang Mach 1

PB103271.jpg

PB103279.jpg

PB103300.jpg

PB103320.jpg

PB103362.jpg

PB103436.jpg

PB103437.jpg

PB103346.jpg

PB103362-1.jpg

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 2