Vought F4U-1A Corsair (1/72 Tamiya)

Another one from a Pacific theatre after my Kawasaki Hien. Went for heavily weathered look like in these photos:

bJR1-um-TnLFxwV3grGpqRt4xj2wndcMkuuwoe9X0UE.jpg?auto=webp&s=08b7d87d389d13f7ec64815e0e223bedebd4d894f4u_19-vmf-218-white-465-barakoma-airfield-vella-lavella-solomon-islands-15th-jan-1944-02.jpgimage005.jpg

Struggled a bit with the main sea blue colour. Recommended VA Glossy Sea Blue was a bit too dark and grey-ish to my liking so coated it lightly with diluted VA Medium Blue. It gave a blue-gray-ish colour from the photos I was looking for. As a side effect it gave a nice colour modulation as well. After decals the model was postshaded and weathered with silver painted chips, + dark & light washes and pastels.

A little disaster struck almost at the end - when removing the masking tape during the weathering the starboard number peeled off completely. I've managed to salvage the decal from the tape in pieces, except the pilot name at the bottom. Took me some time to put it back together but I'm pretty pleased with it. And after weathering it's hard to tell it happened.

Working on a diorama right now but here is the model:

08881443254296974294.jpg

31341172521489739842.jpg

87634212081300503912.jpg

00177574185209647687.jpg

89669191280230594079.jpg

Thanks for viewing, comments welcome ;)

• Like 66

Really like the finish and setting!
I had the same concern over the dark blue with a recent Hellcat build, though using Xtracrylix.  I stuck with it, but looks too dark to me.  Your solution is much more convincing!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hairtrigger said:

I'm always apprehensive that I'll mess up the model...  

That's always my concern before I start weathering. But on the other hand weathering and 'ageing' is the part I like the most.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding! That diorama looks fantastic and the Corsair is simply stunning. That weathering looks spot on. 

I noted your issue with the VA Glossy Sea Blue. If I may, that colour is not for the 3 tone USN scheme but rather used on its own as GSB overall found later in the war. 

The colour for the 3 tone scheme you've depicted should be USN Non Specular Sea Blue, if memory serves me correctly. 

Might help explain why you weren't happy with it to start with. 

That aside, it certainly hasn't stood in your way. Those colours, and your finish, look superb! 

I don't think I've ever seen a 1/72 Corsair as good anywhere. 

Congratulations on the build and on your diorama too. Not easy to pull off convincingly in 1/72 but you've gone and done it. I had to check twice! 

Kind regards, 

Ash . 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...