Supermodel Aeromacci MB-339A - COMPLETED

Adding a new thread for this kit,

Long term resident of my stash, for which I can't remember the purchase details. 

Supermodel-Aermacchi-MB339.jpg

An idea to build as Frecce Tricolori came to nought.

But offers these 4 camo options.

image.png

Including Argentine Navy.

100-9908.jpg

4-A-116 was removed from the Falklands as war booty, spent a long time at Yeovilton FAAM, 

and now resides at South Yorkshire Air Museum, Doncaster.

• Like 10

On 3/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, Pappy said:

Was this stored next to the Unicorn tears and Hen's teeth?

:P

Pappy

I just checked in the box,  no rocking-horse droppings or fairy dust.

01-Decals.jpg

Green is out of resister on the Italian markings.

Good job I've got another plan.

01-Parts.jpg

Am I going to upset any collectors by building this???

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Must have been early or late1980's this kit was released. I remember seeing some Super Model kits in Model Toys, Portsmouth on y odd visit there.

As Pappy said, don't worry about the collectors, it's your kit, let then find their own!

Colin

Scalemates say it's a 1998 kit.  Two options are dated 1994, making 1998 believable.

A small amount of interior decoration.

02-Interior.jpg

And - confirming my place in hell, I've started cutting plastic.  Here the fuselage.

03-Fuselage.jpg

And wings fitted.  Well ballasted at the nose.

04-Airframe.jpg

• Like 11

20 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Scalemates say it's a 1998 kit.  Two options are dated 1994, making 1998 believable.

Scalemates is something akin to Wikipedia in its accuracy: mostly correct, but since it's all user-generated content there are definitely times it will vary from the precise truth.

The Supermodel MB339 boxing was available in 1995, because I purchased one in a shop in Florence that summer.  My recollection is that the MB326 and/or 326K kits were also available at the same time (I remember having to decide which to purchase, due to only having limited room in my luggage), but most definitely the whole line was available in my LHS [RIP 😢] back in the states by early 1996 when I purchased the others.

As far as rarity, though Supermodel is long gone, their molds have been taken up by Italeri and the 339 has been in virtually constant production since (I beleive the PAN variant has the same plastic as the vanilla trainer boxing). Other than the decals for the non-Frecce Tricolori, there should be nothing particularly rare/collectible about the original release.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:47 AM, CT7567 said:

Scalemates is something akin to Wikipedia in its accuracy: mostly correct, but since it's all user-generated content there are definitely times it will vary from the precise truth.

The Supermodel MB339 boxing was available in 1995, because I purchased one in a shop in Florence that summer.  My recollection is that the MB326 and/or 326K kits were also available at the same time (I remember having to decide which to purchase, due to only having limited room in my luggage), but most definitely the whole line was available in my LHS [RIP 😢] back in the states by early 1996 when I purchased the others.

As far as rarity, though Supermodel is long gone, their molds have been taken up by Italeri and the 339 has been in virtually constant production since (I beleive the PAN variant has the same plastic as the vanilla trainer boxing). Other than the decals for the non-Frecce Tricolori, there should be nothing particularly rare/collectible about the original release.

I have never seen the SM kit in person but I thought that the SM kit features engraved panel detail, the Italeri kit has raised panel lines?

Pappy

15 hours ago, Pappy said:

I have never seen the SM kit in person but I thought that the SM kit features engraved panel detail, the Italeri kit has raised panel lines?

Pappy

Confirming that this kit has raised panel detail.   

I've just airbrushed XtraColor X138 light grey underside.

10-X138.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Confirming that this kit has raised panel detail.   

I've just airbrushed XtraColor X138 light grey underside.

10-X138.jpg

G'day,

Thanks for that, so the Italeri kit is a reissuie of the kit  just as old mate said. Yours is progressing splendidly,

cheers,

Papppy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a crude kit, lacking so many details now taken for granted.  In this case the exhaust jet-pipe.

To rectify that omission, I inserted a straw into the rear orifice.

Straw-Exhaust.jpg

That narrative brought tears to my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• theplasticsurgeon changed the title to Supermodel Aeromacci MB-339A - COMPLETED