1/700 HMS Prince of Wales (Flyhawk).

The Ship:

HMS Prince of Wales, launched in 1939, was one of five King George V class battleships and famous for taking on the Bismarck at the Battle of Denmark Strait along with HMS Hood.

In December of 1941 HMS Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser Repulse were sunk by Japanese aircraft in what would come to symbolise the twilight of the battleship as the dominant force on the waves.

The kit:

The kit is the deluxe edition of Flyhawk's 1/700 model and comes with a generous amount of photoetch as well as brass barrels. Detail levels are excellent, but some of the smaller parts are a bit on the fragile side and prone to breaking while being separated from the sprues. I added a wooden deck (can't remember which brand as I started this kit in 2020).

Overall it was an enjoyable build, even if a few things didn't go to plan. The masts are a touch wonky and I nearly melted though a yardarm on the main mast while doing the rigging (hence why it's bent at a strange angle), but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards, Ross.

NV77jo4.jpg

CVHTD9S.jpg

E7z9N79.jpg

5XH72fN.jpg

Q9LXtTe.jpg

kfBDtRR.jpg

JPwsReL.jpg

• Like 36

One of my favourite battleships, and you, Sir, have done her justice!  Absolutely beautiful.  I'm just about to start a King George V in 1/700 scale, and you have set the bar very high for me.  I suspect you did it on purpose, too...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brilliant build Ross, I could admire this all day long and I just might. Interested to know if you dry brushed to get those edges (amongst orher details) to pop or did edge highlighting throughout - if the latter then I almost don't want to know!

Love the last shot, very poignant, but a very interesting comparison of british capital ship design.

David

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Brilliant build Ross, I could admire this all day long and I just might. Interested to know if you dry brushed to get those edges (amongst orher details) to pop or did edge highlighting throughout - if the latter then I almost don't want to know!

Love the last shot, very poignant, but a very interesting comparison of british capital ship design.

David

Thanks David. I mostly used a combination of washes and drybrushing for the recesses and highlights, followed by a watered down glaze of Games Workshop 'Nuln Oil' wash to restore a little of the original tone. The glaze also has the effect of reducing the chalky appearance that drybrushing can leave and blends things together a little. 

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure this is 1/700, it looks amazing - great detail. If you put a picture next to a shot of my 1/350 Anson I'd be hard pressed to tell which was the smaller scale model since you've packed so much into it, a really wonderful job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Are you sure this is 1/700, it looks amazing - great detail. If you put a picture next to a shot of my 1/350 Anson I'd be hard pressed to tell which was the smaller scale model since you've packed so much into it, a really wonderful job.

Thank you, that's very kind. The Flyhawk kit is amazingly well detailed - I'm looking forward to seeing their HMS Lion, HMS Iron Duke and HMS Vanguard kits in 1/700 when they eventually appear.

Cheers,

Ross.

• Like 1