Tamiya 1/350 (sort of) HMS Anson

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get a move on with posting my previous work, so two ships in two days (needless to say they weren't both completed in two days). I guess I should start by explaining why (sort of) HMS Anson? There's a bit of back-story: first, the Tamiya 1/350 kits were a dream  for me when I was a kid, they were the kits my parents wouldn't let me spend the money on. Can't say I blame them, I almost never finished one, they usually got left for my Dad to do a paint job on. I also like the KGV class in particular, so roll on many years and I start getting back into the hobby, this is pretty much the first kit on my shopping list. So I built King George V itself many years ago now, I think it was my second model back, well before I got all super envious of the detail that could go on ships now and started practicing. Armed with new skills I wanted to revisit the class, and started making the necessary purchases. My ultimate plan was to build the first three ships in the class, King George V, Prince of Wales, Duke of York; i.e. the ships with the more notable service histories. I gave in to temptation and bought the Pontos etch sets for all three, at which point I realized that they were all designed to use the POW Tamiya kit. I then found myself with a KGV kit that I had no etch set for, so I got the Eduard etch set that is designed for that kit and decided to make it up as one of the remaining ships in the class (knowing full well that it would not be a truly accurate representation, the level of research needed to do so would be and still is well beyond my interest). So which of Anson or Howe would I make this up as a "superficial" build of, strangely enough, both are heavily overlooked when it comes to a google search for decent pictures, but I did find a picture that was supposedly an ensemble of HMS Anson's wartime schemes, which included a nice camo scheme, so I went with that. So here's my KGV, painted to mimic HMS Anson, possibly a better attempt at mimicking a KGV than the WWII history of HMS Centurion, although that was technically a KGV class already. Oh and this was my first attempt at doing a camo scheme on a ship using an airbrush (and I've only done one other since), I'm pretty happy with the end result.

OPSAxtCCkOVueQVkzi6ktJz8Y6wDNDHqIgT0o6AY

PRBq3hi8ABWqVrfR98DD50pCAge7LFZr0eFd6563

LjNAcn5ETN2TeSfHjzTOK05zGq1Vxbbwow0fAm_W

csYpJ18llEDC0BP07Eo_9g4RLXSMhQdbsxudQZC9

lHXY7rjVMaIZXIiwFVfB-5hFvXFSGjDKfnTj8frV

J5vsyMX_U7v5iNBGsDlKmvRh8qBVf25K1JPoQ3Ql

KcD6Z6qhCzGQuUZp3AJmx73eZ-omIh06U644HDZN

Qruw6Em0Fr-1qqHmxminDCzYKNbDHXGP9yIjfzd6

yUu_JqbqTB95xWVGQ68Z6h4__6o313pI7A3AzK7k

1UplF1Zv4i7SOvpgtRvqKuukcyr3m-rEiyYRTomv

F2RPpypAwzAonEg8lAmZ_gC9yXrbkGdEwAzTkzsZ

FKvaG_9eqjhGyACmgOQ3BrpiYnYrdKLR9eFpPYQJ

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Very nice love this class, good work with your airbrushing too I masked out the KGV  in 1/400 scale, takes a while doesn't it!

Oh yes it does, and getting the patterns to line up between sections is painstaking, why do we do it 😉

2 hours ago, ErikT said:

I love it.    I need more 1/350 battleships in my life, but I need a bigger house first.  Terrific build, and your paint job is superb.

Erik.

Me too, house size is very much a challenge. Got room for a few more before I need to start improvising or move, neither simple options.

8 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Another epically good build Mr MRL. I've tried to select one of each class in my wishlists, unfortunately it breaks down when you have such storied beauts as the KGV, PoW, or DoY; so it's nice to see the Anson get a look in for a change. And what a look in it gets!

David

I likewise try to stay to one per class, but as described 4 KGV class, plus I'm a sucker for the County class. Plus there's a couple more where different ships in the class look so radically different, I'd happily build multiple (WW2 era Renown and Repulse for example).

Beautiful build. One thing - it may be the camera lens but it looks like the rigging is pulling the foremast backwards and off the tripod? A dab of superglue hopefully will fix that. I had a ship rigged for a year or two until suddenly ping and the foremast flew to pieces 😞

• Thanks 1

Beautifully done.  Having just fought with the much simpler rigging on HMS PUMA, I am especially impressed with the way that you have portrayed it here.  May I ask what rigging material you used?

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:02 PM, Chewbacca said:

Beautifully done.  Having just fought with the much simpler rigging on HMS PUMA, I am especially impressed with the way that you have portrayed it here.  May I ask what rigging material you used?

Hi Chewie, thanks, I'm using fine EZ line which I think was first made for the Hornby crowd, I've got an infini version now which I haven't tested yet, all pretty easy to work with, I'll never go back to stretched sprue again 😉. I love your HMS Puma, I really want some cold war ships, but don't want to pay for a resin kit and I'm a bit afraid of the lack of plastic.

On 4/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, TallBlondJohn said:

Beautiful build. One thing - it may be the camera lens but it looks like the rigging is pulling the foremast backwards and off the tripod? A dab of superglue hopefully will fix that. I had a ship rigged for a year or two until suddenly ping and the foremast flew to pieces 😞

Hi John. Thank you for the comments. I hadn't noticed the mast, there's a little bend in it under tension, but not enough to break it, always a fine balancing act when you only have plastic masts 😀