Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Ia spinner shape/type ?

Smudge

I'm just working on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Ia, from a starter kit that I picked up recently. It's a nice little kit that goes together well and has a good level of detail, and looks the part. 

However, I am just a little bit sceptical of the shape of the propeller spinner. It seems a little too 'pointy'. I've tried searching the site for builds and comments, but unfortunately haven't been able to find anything about this.

Here's what I mean. The profile picture

2022-03-29_08-31-40

The kit part

2022-03-29_08-30-56

I'm sure this has been commented on before, but I would appreciate the indulgence of any Spitfire modellers out there.  

Is this spinner only in the starter kit? and is there a choice of spinner types in other Airfix Spitfire kits? (which I could substitute) and finally, is the kit spinner I've pictured a correct type?

Thanks in advance for any input and help :)

18 minutes ago, Smudge said:

and finally, is the kit spinner I've pictured a correct type?

51970106485_744e2b7c9c_b.jpg

yes.

De Havilland Spitfire type (also fitted to some early Hurricane before the specific DH Hurricane type was available) 

as seen here, fitted to most Mk.I's, and some Mk.II and Mk.V's

46916202971_25bcfc5e16_b.jpg19 Squadron 46 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

the Mk.II mostly used a Rotol prop and spinner, also used on BoB Hurricanes, again, before the specfic Hurricane units became available. 

as seen here 

46916205601_46ceb3ebaa_b.jpg19 Squadron 45 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Troy, thanks for the reply and great pictures.

I guess it's just my perception of the shape. If you think it's ok I'm sure it will be fine. 

Just as well as I've glued it all together now :D

Thank you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smudge said:

If you think it's ok I'm sure it will be fine. 

it is maybe a bit pointy, now you know what you are looking at/for, perhaps a gentle rub with a sanding pad may reduce the sharpness. Look at photos, you be the judge.

this is the Spitfire Mk.Ia in the Science museum, 

supermarine_spitfire_mk1a_p9444_20_of_37

• Thanks 1

Cheers, Troy.

Thanks again. I'll mull it over for a bit. Maybe I'll give it a bit of a rub.

By the way, the Science Museum Spitfire is an awesome exhibit, isn't it. I love it B)

19 hours ago, Smudge said:

I'm just working on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Ia, from a starter kit that I picked up recently. It's a nice little kit that goes together well and has a good level of detail, and looks the part. 

However, I am just a little bit sceptical of the shape of the propeller spinner. It seems a little too 'pointy'. I've tried searching the site for builds and comments, but unfortunately haven't been able to find anything about this.

Here's what I mean. The profile picture

2022-03-29_08-31-40

The kit part

2022-03-29_08-30-56

I'm sure this has been commented on before, but I would appreciate the indulgence of any Spitfire modellers out there.  

Is this spinner only in the starter kit? and is there a choice of spinner types in other Airfix Spitfire kits? (which I could substitute) and finally, is the kit spinner I've pictured a correct type?

Thanks in advance for any input and help :)

I use this spinner for the new Airfix Spitfire Mk Vc. The 2 in the box looks bad for me.

Alain

Probably a bit late but when I built my Tamiya Mk1 some time ago (years) I used the prop/spinner from the old Airfix Mk1 kit even though it is molded as one piece as it seemed to be spot on in terms of the spinner shape and blade profile. I'm sure there are now better solutions but it might be worth considering if you happen to have one of these old kits to hand.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. it would be nice if the Science Museum and IWM examples could be taken down, given a bit of a refresh and displayed on terra firma!

Edited by fishplanebeer
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 18:00, MACALAIN said:

The 2 in the box looks bad for me.

Was discussed.   Airfix asked for information on the Vc, were given it, and still made mistakes, they missed the curved UC doors as well IIRC.  

On 30/03/2022 at 18:08, Smudge said:

That's interesting. I have the new Mk.Vc. I will have a look at them.

The shapes are a bit off,  but Vc props and spinners can be complex, as there are 3 or 4 types,  this refers to unit that were used in the Far east on Australian planes,  in European/middle east/Italy seems to just be the Dh unit and the Rotol unit used.

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052956-spitfire-v-b-vs-c-wing-and-uc-details-and-prop-variants/

Seems Airfix didn't do a very good job on either spinner

132-squadron-at-raf-newchurch-w800.jpg

first plane, DH prop, 2nd/3rd, Rotol

"Two propellers and two different spinners are provided in the base kit. There’s a broad bladed (Jablo?) set up that takes the long and pointy spinner (shown on the right) and a rather bulbous (de Havilland?) spinner that fits the thinner bladed prop (shown at middle). I didn’t think either were suitable for my chosen schemes, so have grafted the small pointy DH spinner that comes with the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 kit (shown on the left) to one of the kits supplied spinner back plates. You will need to carve out some plastic from inside the old kits spinner to fit properly, however it’s only a few minutes work and the results are much better IMO. That’s another step closer to getting these kits looking right

BBrSAJr.jpeg

."

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099566-airfix-new-tool-172-spitfire-vc-x2-imgur-test/#elControls_4198184_menu

3 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

it would be nice if the Science Museum and IWM examples could be taken down, given a bit of a refresh and displayed on terra firma!

The IWM plane might be more interesting,  if the DFS paint is over the original paints, to see if any of the original markings are still there.

One that would be checking  with some fine sandpaper for this is the Mk,I hanging up in Chicago,  which is a ex 74 Sq BoB veteran,  with 5 kills, and was IIRC flown by Sailor Malan on occasion.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Was discussed.   Airfix asked for information on the Vc, were given it, and still made mistakes, they missed the curved UC doors as well IIRC.  

The shapes are a bit off,  but Vc props and spinners can be complex, as there are 3 or 4 types,  this refers to unit that were used in the Far east on Australian planes,  in European/middle east/Italy seems to just be the Dh unit and the Rotol unit used.

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052956-spitfire-v-b-vs-c-wing-and-uc-details-and-prop-variants/

Seems Airfix didn't do a very good job on either spinner

132-squadron-at-raf-newchurch-w800.jpg

first plane, DH prop, 2nd/3rd, Rotol

"Two propellers and two different spinners are provided in the base kit. There’s a broad bladed (Jablo?) set up that takes the long and pointy spinner (shown on the right) and a rather bulbous (de Havilland?) spinner that fits the thinner bladed prop (shown at middle). I didn’t think either were suitable for my chosen schemes, so have grafted the small pointy DH spinner that comes with the Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 kit (shown on the left) to one of the kits supplied spinner back plates. You will need to carve out some plastic from inside the old kits spinner to fit properly, however it’s only a few minutes work and the results are much better IMO. That’s another step closer to getting these kits looking right

BBrSAJr.jpeg

."

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099566-airfix-new-tool-172-spitfire-vc-x2-imgur-test/#elControls_4198184_menu

The IWM plane might be more interesting,  if the DFS paint is over the original paints, to see if any of the original markings are still there.

One that would be checking  with some fine sandpaper for this is the Mk,I hanging up in Chicago,  which is a ex 74 Sq BoB veteran,  with 5 kills, and was IIRC flown by Sailor Malan on occasion.... 

For myself, I use Eduard Spit IX UC doors, and one .50 MG for the fuel cap.

PS  what is IIRC ?

Alain

• Like 1

Thanks again, Troy. Great picture of the Mk.V's showing the different spinners. I did think the V's had slightly different one's. Also, thanks for the picture of the various Airfix spinners. I like your idea of mixing the various bits together to get the 'pointy' Mk.V one.

Just to expand on this a little further (sorry :nerd:) I dug out a new KP Mk.V and compared the spinners provided. They give three types, which don't look too bad to be fair. And since there are three this could be a good source for replacement spinners. I've taken a picture of them with the new Airfix Mk.V ones. Gives a bit of a comparison.

2022-04-02_06-31-12

That Airfix pointy one is way too long, I suspect :)

• Like 1