Bertie Builds a Boat - Lady Isabella - Scots 'Zulu' Herring Drifter - Finished ! ! !

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I haven't used the vacuum cleaner

Gidday Bertie, now I've heard of those things. Sounds like work. Who wants to be a sucker for punishment? And iron, isn't that some sort of metal? 😁 But yes, seriously, it's easy for dust and cobwebs to take over. And actually, I do know what a vacuum cleaner is. I've not long retired from 19 years as a school cleaner. Enjoy the spring cleaning, but have a VERY careful examination of the area around the workbench first. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

have a VERY careful examination of the area around the workbench first

It's funny you should mention that Jeff. While clearing the bench of the carelessly scattered tools I noticed this.

y4mZhnEJtvCY04OxvD2f3fL_sP0H9DjLVpkLgxa4

Nice and tidy but there's a scalpel missing. There should be my regular five knives, two curves (red and ping), two straights (blue and light blue) and the big one in NMF. Where is dark blue? It's slightly unnerving losing one of these. Is it down the side of my chair? Embedded in the dog? Lurking in my scrap wood pile? I searched for ages and failed to find it. Eventually I moved onto the next job, which needed a ruler.

y4mIRQGd1bXuGDIZg4ZrmqZ59GGckwUv5XSOSt9Z

And under that blue plastic ruler was the missing scalpel, playing hide and seek. I looked in that drawer half a dozen times too.

• Like 1

The Final Gallery

I waited until the sun was setting and the breeze had all but died away but still the sails filled and threatened to capsize the boat! Never mind, no harm done and the sails looked much better with some wind in them.

y4m6Q4ZPF_iFRV95S_BA_6jlAYXoSLSgwrsh9qG7

I started out with an empty communal garden but the Lady Attracted a crowd of non-modelmakers very easily.

y4m6Q4ZPF_iFRV95S_BA_6jlAYXoSLSgwrsh9qG7

See the sails billow!

y4maR6LMb8c-KN_8ilpY2hwCnTyJFFwvd862Vy2q

She never actually went over but did rise up onto one side of the stand, to my horror.

y4mjWFU1HXg2pRSObYdaJPPcgHEEUlSoifQw-S9v

The planking is a distant memory now.

y4m7L1jhbKYwQHG67VwtzBACyDIzFBV6nXj3tArS

Fisherman Fred

y4mRZq9YLnPCPs9tbAIpP5IOMF5o29t30pdgpEtc

The oncoming storm - mechanisation arrived in the later nineteenth century

y4m2WVdJ6W8mJlp6wfRMhwb-nTg51ywDgGg59QMK

Crochet for boys.

y4mqz4fal1qKHM7l7hzzI3j2kYgGAFM3psVA8PtE

Turning for home.

y4mDa5T4IyJkCTihRCM41zFS3-jV8ecwe9lt5wYG

The seagulls' eye view, "Where's the flippin' fish then?"

• Like 18

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bertie Builds a Boat - Lady Isabella - Scots 'Zulu' Herring Drifter - Finished ! ! !

Old mate looks pretty relaxed singlehanding a boat like that, hats off to him.

I like the wind in the sails photos, especially the third one down.  It’s a sail boat, well made and seemingly perfectly functional.  Well done.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Very romantic. Beautiful boat!

Thanks Dmitry. Romantic is the perfect word for her. Why didn't I think of that?

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Bertie, she's beautiful. You can be very proud of what you've created. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I am pleased. She turned out better than I hoped (and not as good as the next one, I hope. 😀)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Romantic is the perfect word for her. Why didn't I think of that?

Possibly because, amongst other things, you were too busy fondling her shapely curves and shiny bottom?

Edited by psdavidson
no "g"
  • Haha 3

Incidentally, I've posted an abridged version of this on Model Ship World and been surprised by the warmth of the reception. I feel that the alleged reticence I posted about earlier in this thread may have been more to do with my bashfulness than their response to it. And they certainly do know what they are talking about over there!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Stunning work Bertie, you should be happy with that, I would be. 

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I’m very pleased with it. It’s spiffing! Of course I’m totally engaged with the bally Beagle now. 

2 minutes ago, steve5 said:

lovely work bertie , I'd be very proud of that .

Thanks Steve.

I hadn’t even considered bein proud of it. Strange. I’m definitely pleased with it and I sent photos of it to the kids so yeah, I must be proud of it too. 😄

• Like 2

Just returned from three weeks holiday in France and you've finished her!

As others have said, well done and an excellent result - I would be delighted with that.

Following your Beagle thread now

SD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Just returned from three weeks holiday in France and you've finished her!

As others have said, well done and an excellent result - I would be delighted with that.

Following your Beagle thread now

SD

Thanks Dad. 😄

Yes, I'm more pleased with the boat each time I look at her which is strange. Usually I notce more and more mistakes as time goes by. With this I'm still a little bit amazed that I managed to build it at all. 🤣

The Beagle is great fun. I'm much more relaxed about it as you'll gather from the modifications I'm making.

Well an unexpected almost month away from BM, and lo and behold you've finished her. I was looking forward to reading through this in detail but my fingers conspired to skip from page 11 to 17 which both ruined my 'story' somewhat but almost caused me to almost keel over in amazement at the completion speed.  I digress. She is an absolute beaut and I look forward to properly following your next builds!

Besides the model I've got nothing but praise for your thread, an excellent read, 'nice' to see someone much more skilled and experienced being absolutely brutal about their builds like I feel about my own (bandana on, hammer-armed, spewing obscenities, and open bin at the ready over here), and ofc the high calibre of building, explanation, philosophical digressions, and smuttiness, et etc... I feel like I own a bit of her, bit of a shame it had to end really.

The only real problem is: you've made it seem all so easy, I have a sudden urge to purchase the 1/72 Vanguard (1787)...fortunately my wallet and partner will stop me doing anything so foolish.

David

17 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

The only real problem is: you've made it seem all so easy, I have a sudden urge to purchase the 1/72 Vanguard (1787)...fortunately my wallet and partner will stop me doing anything so foolish.

I interpret that slightly differently. It seems to me that the only real problem is that your partner will stop you. Thank goodness my 'pawtner' is a dog and the 1/72 Vanguard is on the top of the wardrobe right now. 😄

20 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

being absolutely brutal about their builds

It's the only way to improve. We are very very polite here and seldom criticise anyone at all even when the model is a disaster. There are good reasons for that, people can be sensitive. Honest and tactful observation is so hard to manage, isn't it? However, this leaves only myself to do the critique with honesty. (Sometimes I am too brutal and upset myself. 🤣)

24 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

praise for your thread, an excellent read

Thank you. That means a lot from someone who writes long but lucid sentences. 

I believe you found the Beagle build already? That's likely to run for at least the rest of the year. I hope I can keep up the standard.

• Like 1

Must be very satisfying to produce something as beautiful as this.

Wood and I just don't get on so I'll leave construction of these works of art to those that can.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2022 at 09:43, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm more pleased with the boat each time I look at her which is strange

Just caught up on this thread Bertie, great clean build and tidy finish, very well done...  :thumbsup:

Re the quote, like others on this forum I'm sure, I get that feeling.  When you are engaged in making something, you are sooo close to each detail and of course each mistake, its hard to appreciate the outcome.  Let a few months go by, look at it again, and you will be amazed you could actually do that.  Take a few years (or 20 in my case) and you'll find you simply cannot believe it was you...

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1