Sherman Mk 1 Normandy Summer 1944

wellzy

Hi All here we go again at the moment building it in sub builds 

IMG_7319

IMG_7320

IMG_7321

IMG_7322

That`s it atm ,now for a question on the back of commanders hatch there is a gun  mount  is that standard or only there 

if a gun is being used  ? Thank`s  Guy`s 

IMG_7323

Edited by wellzy
FORGOT pHOTO
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, wellzy said:

That`s it atm ,now for a question on the back of commanders hatch there is a gun  mount  is that standard or only there 

if a gun is being used  ? Thank`s  Guy`s 

The gun mount was a part of the hatch ring but the British tended to use the smaller .303 browning m/g, it was less cumbersome and used the same ammunition as the bow and co-axial machine guns. 

If you don't have a .303 m/g the kit supplied .50 always looks impressive.  :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Not sure which vehicle you are going for, but I see a Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry option (with wader) on the decal sheet.
Looking through James Holland's Brothers in Arms (history of that regiment in NW Europe), you don't often see photos of guns mounted on their turrets.  There is a photo of a 24th Lancers' Sherman in the book with mounted MG, but not SRY as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Not sure which vehicle you are going for, but I see a Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry option (with wader) on the decal sheet.
Looking through James Holland's Brothers in Arms (history of that regiment in NW Europe), you don't often see photos of guns mounted on their turrets.  There is a photo of a 24th Lancers' Sherman in the book with mounted MG, but not SRY as far as I can tell.

I have read the book 'Tank Action'  The story of David Render joining the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry on D-Day+5 and on to the end of the war.  He mentions the danger of snipers in Normandy so tank commanders were not sticking any part of their bodies out of the hatch for any reason.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic progress Wellzy! The paintwork has been weathered beautifully and the figures are really going to add to the overall appearance! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Wellzy. Got to agree with you. It certainly is getting there! The added figure stowage really brings it to life. Lovely job.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work on the diorama and thank you for joining us in the build, 

It was my pleasure  l  enjoyed  the build  , got me back in to my modelling  mood  thank you 😊

Edited by wellzy
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

Hi wellzy. Well that looks superb and is a fantastic addition to our Gallery. Lovely work on the Sherman, figures and stowage and you've presented it all beautifully with the scene. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for building it all in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix