Gloster Meteor F.4

Hi Folks

1st one posted for quite a while, there are lots of opinions all over the web about whether this kit represents value for money or not - IMO for all it's faults re accuracy (especially in & around the engine nancelles) it's good quality moulding, fits together well and builds into an imposing model when finished; not cheap for quite a low parts count but on the £-per-hour enjoyment scale I've no complaints. You do have to be creative though if you don't want to fork out for expensive conversion sets, and I found that those small soft plastic Humbrol paint tubs with the lids cut off fit exactly behind the intake rings to shield the lack of interior wall detail....

Decals are from Kitsworld, I don't know if the ones in the box are accurate or not but the light blue fluselage roundels just look wrong.

51969405931_5610268c1c_b.jpg

51969405526_e26a253318_b.jpg

51969693034_12d2d188f1_b.jpg

51969692934_cb1a4827aa_b.jpg

51969405896_9b9529d7a5_b.jpg

51969693144_f79568be47_b.jpg

51969405586_1231bc8a26_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

J.A.

• Like 24

Lovely build, I have been doing a conversion to the Mk4 in 1/48 based on the Tamiya kit. 

Looks a bit too dirty for my liking, You would be in trouble on your squadron if you let your silver  painted jets get in that state! But each to his own, your kit your rules!

Selwyn

• Like 4

Nice build, I do have one of those kits in the stash and was waiting for the Fisher F3 conversion, but with the sad demise of Fisher I may just paint and mark it as an F3 anyway.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

That’s a very nicely finished model - guess it’s some black pre-shading which really gives some life to the surface. What colour did you use for the metal finish - was it just silver paint, or some special ‘aluminium’ colour or similar?

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments, the metal finish is Alclad duraluminum over their gloss black primer, highlighted with Alclad aluminium. I was trying to achieve a natural metal finish and I’m pleased with how it came out, but I guess from Selwyn’s comments a silver paint finish would have been more authentic; but like he says, my kit my rules!

Thanks for the info... FWIW I think it gives a really good feeling of scale (immaculate kits can sometimes look a bit too model-like, I reckon). I’m halfway through a 1/72 P.1127 which will be my first ever NMF, hence my interest in seeing how to do it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnny akes said:

Thanks for the kind comments, the metal finish is Alclad duraluminum over their gloss black primer, highlighted with Alclad aluminium. I was trying to achieve a natural metal finish and I’m pleased with how it came out, but I guess from Selwyn’s comments a silver paint finish would have been more authentic; but like he says, my kit my rules!

Yes, British aircraft were painted high speed silver, as  bare metal didn't last long  in the UK climate! I think the only natural metal finished aircraft was the lightning, but even they ended up painted.

Selwyn

• Like 2