Stripey Beaufighter.

Target tugs are in my sights at the moment and this is the first of three. On the bench at the moment are the new Airfix 72nd scale Mosquito and Tempest. This is the current Airfix Beau which was a pleasure to build. I hope you like it.

DSCF8139

DSCF8137

DSCF8136

DSCF8135

DSCF8132

DSCF8131

DSCF8141

DSCF8140

Great fun to build and good practice for the next projects.

Keith

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Lovely job. I’ve got one on my bench, trying to come up with a way to do the cable supports for the back end. Care to share your method please? Pretty please?

• Like 1

Well Bill, it's like this. If you Google this subject there are a few pictures that might help. I drilled holes in the tailplanes just inboard of the tip and pushed a piece of fine sprue through glued with superglue. Bend the sprues towards the tip and attach a very thin strip of plastic card to the tip of the tailplane and make sure it is stuck fast! Superglue this strip to the angled sprues so they bend around a bit like a horse shoe. Make another sprue and strip assembly for the lower fuselage. Last of all I used fine fishing line . Drill a hole in the fin ready to take the ends of the single line . Starting at the centre of the line glue it to the bottom "shoe" and carry on round the tailplane tips towards the hole in the fin. Glue securely to the fin and carefully trim the excess tails with a razor blade. I do hope this helps. It probably would not pass  for the rivet counters but it looks the part and is good for me. Good luck with this.

Keith

• Like 2

Sounds good. I was trying to bend really fine brass tube. Got it sort of OK but the supports to the tailplanes stumped me. I’ll give your method a try on my paint Mike. VMT for sharing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Very nice indeed.
I imagine you are well placed for getting hold of Airfix kits!

Thank you for the compliment, and yes I am about four miles from Hornby central at Margate. Though I have to say that they don't hold the whole range which always strikes me as odd. 

Keith

Sandbag and swing the lamp time……….I spent a week at RAF Manston being taught how to be a firefighter at the outset of the Firemen’s strike in 1977😱. We were told it would all be over by Christmas 🥴

• Like 1

Nicely modelled. Yes, TT subject well chosen for interesting colour scheme and rarity of depiction. Appearance in Ice cold in Alex? I had to look it up. The message drop; I'd forgotten.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Edger said:

Where did you get the tow winch from?

Bits from the spares box. Something I do before a project like this is to see if I can find the parts to make the project a possibility. The paddles are from a bomb tail from a 48th scale kit suitably modified.

Keith

• Like 2