Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk T. Mk 10. No 2FTS. A real mojo restorer!

Hi everyone

Well I finally got her finished, my 1/48 Airfix Chipmunk. It really is a lovely little kit, well detailed, well thought out and well moulded for me it was a real mojo restorer after quite a long modelling drought.

I built her OOB and only added some seat belts from Eduard, I finished her in the No 2 FTS colours as I think its the quintessential scheme for a Chipmunk. 

51969172675_ea4d67c1f3_b.jpg

51968672503_11c5348689_b.jpg

51968672498_7bb55b3405_b.jpg

51968607806_9239831d0c_b.jpg

51968607796_cedebe82f8_b.jpg

51968607786_2f397f634a_b.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone for their support and I think its about time I finished this old girl..

51968531931_ba78c20a2f_b.jpg

Cheers everyone

Iain 👍

• Like 59
  • Thanks 2

Wonderful! It turns out very nice! For me one of the nicest colours for a Chippie!  You have done justice to it.  And I agree the kit is superb! Just finishing my 2. . It’s a pity that these kits are not available no more here Germany.

Andy 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

That is a very good model indeed, very well painted in-as you say- what was probably the most colourful scheme.

Colin.

15 hours ago, DaveH said:

Very nice build 'n finish..

DaveH

Hey Dave

Thanks buddy, there are things that I would've done differently but overall I'm pretty happy with the result

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job  on this one Iain, it's certainly a lovely scheme too.  Cracking kit.

Chris

Hi Chris

As ever your kind comments are very much appreciated and yes Airfix really did a sterling job with this one - I enjoyed every minute of the build. 

15 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nicely done,

would have been nice if Airfix had included the later Canadian mod exhaust as that would have opened up lots more options but yours is a cracker  !!

Hiya

Thank you - I'm sure Airfix will haver some tricks up their sleeves with this one, its too good a kit just to leave it with the two options you get in the box.

14 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent work 

Thank you 

As ever everyone's very kind words are appreciated.

Iain 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Wonderful! It turns out very nice! For me one of the nicest colours for a Chippie!  You have done justice to it.  And I agree the kit is superb! Just finishing my 2. . It’s a pity that these kits are not available no more here Germany.

Andy 

Hey Andy

Thank you buddy - its a real shame you can no longer get her in Germany because she deserves a place on everyone's build list (in my humble opinion!)

All the best

Iain 👍

• Like 1

When I was at 2FTS I cannot recall any of the Chipmunks having the blue flash below the cockpit.

But it was both a long time ago and far, far away......

No pictures either, I was too busy being a dumb, and useless, student pilot.

And maybe a different iteration of 2 FTS, when it was at Church Fenton in the early 1970's.

FFH

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, FatFlyHalf said:

When I was at 2FTS I cannot recall any of the Chipmunks having the blue flash below the cockpit.

But it was both a long time ago and far, far away......

No pictures either, I was too busy being a dumb, and useless, student pilot.

And maybe a different iteration of 2 FTS, when it was at Church Fenton in the early 1970's.

FFH

I honestly don't know I just went with what was in the box....looks good though 😆

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Flawless, absolutely flawless.

Hiya

Many thanks for the very kind words

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Fuel on, brakes on, throttles closed, switches off! Coo that takes me back (Finningley). Lovely job Iain.

Pete

Brilliant!! Thank you Pete

All the best gents

Iain 👍

1 minute ago, georgeusa said:

Wow!!!  You did such a great job on this kit.  It looks great.  If your mojo was gone before this kit, it has resurfaced in force.

Hey George

Many thanks buddy - if you didn't already have 250 years of kits in your stash I'd highly recommend it!!

Iain 👍

Beautiful Chipmunk. Colorful trainers are real eye catchers. :clap2:

While "mojo restorers" are really important kits to keep the hobby going, i can t wait to see your Phantom finished.

23 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Fuel on, brakes on, throttles closed, switches off! Coo that takes me back (Finningley). Lovely job Iain.

Pete

Shouldn't that be brakes on, throttle closed, fuel off, ground flight switch to ground, etc ? 
But I'm damned if I can remember the correct sequence.  Someone on here is bound to remember.

My favourite mnemonic for the Chipmunk was "My Friend Fred Has Hairy Balls"  or 'Mixture, Fuel, Flaps, Harness, Hood and Brakes' on the downwind leg.

Happy days.  Long ago and almost forgotten. 

I must try and get one of the new Airfix models. 

Sgtrafman made such a good job of his it makes me want to have one in my collection too !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BerndM said:

Beautiful Chipmunk. Colorful trainers are real eye catchers. :clap2:

While "mojo restorers" are really important kits to keep the hobby going, i can t wait to see your Phantom finished.

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Shouldn't that be brakes on, throttle closed, fuel off, ground flight switch to ground, etc ? 
But I'm damned if I can remember the correct sequence.  Someone on here is bound to remember.

My favourite mnemonic for the Chipmunk was "My Friend Fred Has Hairy Balls"  or 'Mixture, Fuel, Flaps, Harness, Hood and Brakes' on the downwind leg.

Happy days.  Long ago and almost forgotten. 

I must try and get one of the new Airfix models. 

Sgtrafman made such a good job of his it makes me want to have one in my collection too !

Brilliant!! 🤣

Cheers gents

Iain 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

But I'm damned if I can remember the correct sequence.  Someone on here is bound to remember

Hi, it might have been 'brakes on, fuel on, throttles closed, switches off'.  For a start with a cartridge block, from the ground crew perspective, it was help strap in the pilot and cadet. Check ( both sets) the mag switches were in the off position, shout the above which was repeated by the front pilot, all hands were then placed outside the cockpit. 

Then on the left side of the engine pull the finger ring pull and use the priming pump handle to fill the fuel system. (hence fuel on, I seem to remember it wouldnt prime if off), until fuel ran from the drain, Close cowling. Then rotate the prop 4 times to prime the cylinders (hence switches off), Then round to the right side, place the cartridge block in the starter, close cowl. Back round to the rear cockpit and set the switches to on telling the front pilot who set his to on. round to the wingtip, thumbs up shout contact, contact from the front. Starter went bang and away it went. Unless it was a slow blow misfired cartridge in which case tons of smoke and coughing from the cockpit and silence from the engine😁.  Long time since I was on YUAS, 1981 ish, but I think thats the right sequence.

Cheers, Pete

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Chipmunk there, great job 

Hi Russ thank you for the kind comment buddy 👍

3 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Hi, it might have been 'brakes on, fuel on, throttles closed, switches off'.  For a start with a cartridge block, from the ground crew perspective, it was help strap in the pilot and cadet. Check ( both sets) the mag switches were in the off position, shout the above which was repeated by the front pilot, all hands were then placed outside the cockpit. 

Then on the left side of the engine pull the finger ring pull and use the priming pump handle to fill the fuel system. (hence fuel on, I seem to remember it wouldnt prime if off), until fuel ran from the drain, Close cowling. Then rotate the prop 4 times to prime the cylinders (hence switches off), Then round to the right side, place the cartridge block in the starter, close cowl. Back round to the rear cockpit and set the switches to on telling the front pilot who set his to on. round to the wingtip, thumbs up shout contact, contact from the front. Starter went bang and away it went. Unless it was a slow blow misfired cartridge in which case tons of smoke and coughing from the cockpit and silence from the engine😁.  Long time since I was on YUAS, 1981 ish, but I think thats the right sequence.

Cheers, Pete

Well remembered that man! 

3 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Ian - That’s a beautiful Chipmunk.Superb finishing work and I also love that Phantom that’s underway!👏😉👍

Hiya many, many thanks buddy really appreciate it 👍

All the best 

Iain 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...