Looking for comments and opinions on Food items.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone… My SWMBO has found an aisle at a local grocery store that carries international foods. She recently found these items from the U.K. and was curious as to what they taste like.

G5bQUxi.jpg

ptyJ8oH.jpg

She would like some idea before spending the £$ on the items. We’ve sampled a good bit of the Biscuit’s and other things like Jelly babies but these are new to her. So any thoughts or opinion’s would be happily and gratefully welcome.  

Dennis

• Like 4

Piccalilli is a sharp tangy mustard pickle that goes well with cold meats and sharper cheese. I've not had the Heinz brand one but usually the vegetables are quite chunky. I think the Ploughmans is a milder and sweeter pickle not as sharp as something like Branston Pickles. I am a Pom but haven't lived in the UK for nearly 50 years so Ploughmans is after my time there. But I still eat Piccalilli which luckily is fairly easy to get in Aus. I think most Americans would find them not as sweet as what their use to. I'm sure you'll get many more answers soon as the locals wake up 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pom awake here.Ploughmans pickle is a sweetish relish that is great with cheese and cold meats.We usually use Branston pickle which is much the same,I like it on corned beef sandwiches.Piccalli has a sharper,tangier taste due to the mustard content and usually consists of more than one vegatable.

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rotten lot'a sods !!

Pork pies ! cold meat ! cheese ! pickles ! Now I'm bloody starving and if I hoe into that lot at 10pm, I'm not going to get a wink of sleep !!

Perhaps I'll try it anyway.........

Rog

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, roginoz said:

Rotten lot'a sods !!

Pork pies ! cold meat ! cheese ! pickles ! Now I'm bloody starving and if I hoe into that lot at 10pm, I'm not going to get a wink of sleep !!

Perhaps I'll try it anyway.........

Rog

Funnily enough it had the same effect on me so i went to a place on the Bridge and bought a ham salad baguette....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As above

But I also like them just on their own on soft/fresh brown bread

Piccalilli is also nice on a good hamburger or proper hotdog

Both can be used on top of cheese or meat in a sandwich but also as a side with a salad or even a hot meal

Multiple uses on the dinner/lunch plate

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both are OK, but neither is the best example of the pickle as it should be. Good piccalilli you should be able to see the chunks of vegetable in, which I can't in the photo, and to my taste the Ploughman's Pickle is too sweet. They're both entirely usable for everything people have said above but it's a bit like drinking shandy instead of beer -- a gateway drug to the real thing...

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Both are OK, but neither is the best example of the pickle as it should be. . . 

I agree.

I should have made it clear that I was referring just to the pickles generally. I find the Heinz ones rather bland and I prefer other brands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

echo all thats been said above, both are lovely with cold meats or cheese, I also have a fondness for piccalilli in a baked potatoe....with sasauge & beans, yum yum.

Not tried Heinze usually have Branston but I'm sure very similar.

now all you need is some Daddies & Marmite  🤤

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't add any opinion on what the products are like, because I've never tried them, but I'd just like to point out that Heinz is an American company, founded in 1869 in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania.  Which makes these products about as British as a curry in the UK is Indian.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

As a child, I found Piccalilli revolting and have since found no reason to change my mind.  The various ploughman's pickles are ok if you like that sort of thing, but a decent dollop of HP sauce (not any of the inferior alternative) is much tastier.  Not that I would actually use it with cheese, but the slab of "Cheddar" soap found in most British pub ploughman's needs all the help it can get.  To be fair, pub grub has got much better (at least in some pubs) than a few decades ago, and locally the pubs usually offer one or another variant of Lancashire.  Or even, whisper it gently, Wensleydale.

• Like 1

I'm sure you will enjoy them both @Corsairfoxfouruncle, Good for multiple uses.

I usually take my son in America some Marmite that he misses but as I doubt I'll be going this year (Covid etc) he will have to stock up from the ethnic aisle in Publix at around triple the price. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RobL said:

Can't add any opinion on what the products are like, because I've never tried them, but I'd just like to point out that Heinz is an American company, founded in 1869 in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania.  Which makes these products about as British as a curry in the UK is Indian.

So is a Ford Fiesta built in Spain an American product?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Well, they aren't Spanish.  Apple products are assembled in China, would you claim they're Chinese?

It's like Bentley's or Rolls Royce's, everyone thinks they're British, despite the fact they're owned by VW group, making them technically German.

When you delve deep enough you'll see there are in fact very few truly British things left, despite all the PR and flag waving...

Edited by RobL
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RobL said:

I'm not sure that I agree with this. Heinz has been manufacturing in the UK and been a big part of our culinary culture for well over 100 years. Whilst the parent company is certainly American I would say that it is a very British institution. So much so that a lot of Americans don't understand our fondness for Heinz baked beans (other brands are available).

As for curry - that is a much bigger subject...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I prefer other brands

Could you recommend brands that she can search for ? 

8 hours ago, RobL said:

We know that and in fact my wife lived in Pittsburgh the home of Heinz for many years. However some of their products are only available in other countries so this is why we only get them in the international aisle. 

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

a decent dollop of HP sauce (not any of the inferior alternative) is much tastier. 

Hello Graham, shes already discovered the HP and is in love with it. 

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

4 hours ago, RobL said:

Well, they aren't Spanish.  Apple products are assembled in China, would you claim they're Chinese?

It's like Bentley's or Rolls Royce's, everyone thinks they're British, despite the fact they're owned by VW group, making them technically German.

When you delve deep enough you'll see there are in fact very few truly British things left, despite all the PR and flag waving...

Gentlemen please this thread wasn't supposed to be a political discussion. I would rather not run afoul of the Moderators in a thread about food or any other time. 

4 hours ago, Pete F said:

I'm not sure that I agree with this. Heinz has been manufacturing in the UK and been a big part of our culinary culture for well over 100 years. Whilst the parent company is certainly American I would say that it is a very British institution. So much so that a lot of Americans don't understand our fondness for Heinz baked beans (other brands are available).

As for curry - that is a much bigger subject...

Thank You Pete and you are certainly correct this is the reason why I initially started this thread. Heinz has a domestic division and an U.K. European one and not all products are available to both. My wife has read about Heinz Beans for years, she finally found them and has them on the shelf in the pantry. She’s just waiting for a good time/meal to add them too. 

To everyone Thank you for answer's and responses and any suggestions. 

Dennis

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Graham, shes already discovered the HP and is in love with it. 

Daddies is better. 

Just about to don my tin lid & am now taking cover

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could you recommend brands that she can search for ? 

I think, for the 'Ploughmans Pickle' - Branston's, smooth or chunky

Here's one not mentioned here:

Mustard

You've just got to find and try Tewkesbury Mustard

The only mustard mentioned by name by Willy Shakespeare

Once tried no other can take its place

Every time I go to SMW in Telford I head down to Tewkesbury Abbey and get a stock to bring home

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I see this post has generated a bit of a Marmite reaction…

Marmite - I can take it or leave it.....

Joking aside it's great for livening up supermarket bread and spread but I'll take real slightly salted butter on quality bread any time.

• Like 1