AMT Tigercat

I'm new here and I'm trying to learn my way around. Here's my current project. I painted the cockpit (the wrong color 😞) and glued it in back in 97 when the kit first came out. Back then I also made my own resin nose to replace the horrible kit nose. So after sitting 25 years barely started, I'm finally building it. It's my only SOD kit. 

Thanks for looking. 

20211213_092917

Resized_20220130_170520

Resized_20220130_172302 20220123_151927 20220123_151716 Resized_20211219_125917(1) 20220115_183753

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Like 8

Thanks, other than my homemade nose job and aftermarket wheels it's gonna be OOB. The changes were necessary because the kit nose is horribly wrong and and the original vinyl tires melt the plastic wheels. 

• Like 1

:welcome: to the forum, and a nice project to get you started here. I’ve had a soft spot for the Tigercat since seeing it at Duxford before it was shipped off to the USA. I’ve got the AMT kit and some upgrades myself, but with a stash like mine, I have no idea when I’ll get to it. Keep up the good work :yes: 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great detail work on the engines and the cowling.  Used to watch the Tigercat perform with the old Confederate Air Force when it was based in Harlingen, Texas.  Now it is the more politically correct Consolidated Air Force.  I do get looks when I go to the air shows with the old Confederate Air Force logo shirts.  But the members who are my age just smile with appreciation.  I expect you will have even more updates and will continue on with the excellent work you have shown so far.  I am impressed with a shelf of doom kit for 25 years.  That makes mine look like I am just timely on the builds.  Again, great work on the kit that you put away.  It looks impressive.

Nice work! I just finished up the -3 a few weeks ago. It was a fun build! I like what you did with the nose weights. Despite packing as much weight as I could in the forward fuselage and nacelles, I couldn't get mind to sit on its wheels.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-O

On 4/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, oortiz10 said:

Nice work! I just finished up the -3 a few weeks ago. It was a fun build! I like what you did with the nose weights. Despite packing as much weight as I could in the forward fuselage and nacelles, I couldn't get mind to sit on its wheels.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-O

Thanks for the kind words. 

I'm not entirely sure mine will sit on it's wheels either. It should but if it don't, I'll sneak more in the front gear bay. A little weight up front is equal to a lot in the nacelles. I've added so much weight to the nacelles on other twins that the landing gear needed metal reinforcing rods. The additional weight made the model very heavy while not helping much to bring the nose down. It was too far back to be effective. 

If this one doesn't sit on its gear after the loading the front gear bay, I'll either put the kit supplied barrel under the tail or let it tail sit. Luckily these were notorious tail sitters.