I'm Sorta Back with a Completed Model: 1/48 Seiran

The Aichi M6A1 Seiran, "Clear Sky Storm", was a submarine-launched attack floatplane designed for the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. It was intended to operate from I-400 class submarines whose original mission was to conduct aerial attacks against the United States.  This is the 1/48 Tamiya kit released in 1997.  This is also the first kit I have completed since 2017.  Besides a couple of back operations; fusion of neck vertebra; an entire ankle replacement; a teeny, tiny spot of cancer treatment; and life in general not cooperating; to say my modeling mojo wasn’t working is an understatement.

But, since I must live another 250 years to complete the kits in my stash, thought I might try to get back into the swing of things and see how much of the little I possessed in modeling skills have gone out the window.  What better way than a Tamiya kit that even I would be hard pressed to butcher.

I did not do a work in progress as I was just trying to complete a build OOB.  About the only thing I did to enhance the kit was drill out some lightening holes in the cockpit and a few other odds and ends that you cannot see once finished.  The object was just to finish and see how bad it turned out.

So, without further ado, here is my little gem of a kit of the Seiran.  The kit goes together quite well, and everything fits, even when I put it together.  There are weights in the kit to put in the main floats to keep it from tail setting.  The kit also has a beaching dolly for display purposes.

Since the actual plane did not see any action except for some test flights, I did not do hardly any weathering of the plane itself.  The beaching dolly, however, I figured it was one of many old ones lying around that was used as was handy, so it was done a bit beat up.

As always, all comments are welcome, both good or bad.  It is really nice to have actually finished something and the fingers actually worked to some degree of usefulness.

spacer.png spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Obviously, not only do I have to work on my modeling skills, but my posting skills leave a lot to be desired.  The last time I posted, I was using PhotoBucket and had that hosting site go a bit crazy since I noticed all my prior posts have this awful intrusion by PhotoBucket.  So comments on my limited modeling skills and suggestions on how to post better pictures are both welcomed.  It is good to be back.  Might try another Tamiya kit to make to bolster my missing confidence.

Edited by georgeusa
Don't know how to upload photos anymore
  • Like 38

17 hours ago, SAT69 said:

You won't hear me complain about your modeling skills. It looks mighty good to me.

You are most kind.  And, I see you are a fellow Texan swimming in these British waters.  It's a good site, very friendly and very cordial.  They do speak some sort of weird language that resembles English, but they have some peculiarities with some of the words they use and references they make.   Hope where you are at there are no grass fires.  We have had about 3 or 4 around here that has burned around 100,000 acres combined.  One of them, a small one, was contained about a mile from the ranch.   Spent all night watching it to make sure it didn't hit our pasture and I had to move the livestock and horses.  Always enjoy going to San Antonio.

14 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job George B) 

It was just nice to be able to complete a kit and finally finish something.  Have already started a ME 109.  Will see if I can not botch it up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, georgeusa said:

It is good to be back.

And it's good to see you back, George. After all your trials and tribulations it's also good to see you've finished one.

Now all you need to do is build the 1/48th Submarine to launch it. :poke: :laugh:

That's a very nice job on both the Aircraft, and the trolley. Good luck on your next 250 years BTW. Be quicker if you didn't sleep though!

All the best, Pete

Good that you are back and hope it is still enjoyable. Great work on the aircraft and trolley. Not one I have seen before.

I too have got back to aircraft modelling fairly recently and had to learn about this posting malarky. A suggestion I got from the help section was to use Microsoft Onedrive for posting photos and this has turned out easy to use. You get 5gb storage free which should be plenty. Just upload your photos to Onedrive. When you want to insert in a post select embed button and you get different sizes of photo. Simply copy and paste the link of the size you want in the post and Bob is a Male relative.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

David 

Hey George 

Welcome back - long time no see. 
Well it’s plane to see (see what I did there) you still have it buddy coz that’s an excellent build, very well done mate. So what’s next in the build list if you have 250 years supply of kits in the stash you’d better get cracking and please do a WIP I enjoy watching your builds unfold.

All the best from the other side of the pond.

Iain 👍

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

And it's good to see you back, George. After all your trials and tribulations it's also good to see you've finished one.

Now all you need to do is build the 1/48th Submarine to launch it. :poke: :laugh:

That's a very nice job on both the Aircraft, and the trolley. Good luck on your next 250 years BTW. Be quicker if you didn't sleep though!

All the best, Pete

Thanks Pete.  I do not know if I have ever built a submarine before.  That is an interesting thought.  However, given the size of the stash and the quickness of my building, purchasing another kit just seems a bit mad.  Although, you have hit upon an idea of completing builds, I just need to develop severe insomnia!!

On 3/30/2022 at 2:08 AM, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey George 

Welcome back - long time no see. 
Well it’s plane to see (see what I did there) you still have it buddy coz that’s an excellent build, very well done mate. So what’s next in the build list if you have 250 years supply of kits in the stash you’d better get cracking and please do a WIP I enjoy watching your builds unfold.

All the best from the other side of the pond.

Iain 👍

I will probably have a go at a couple of more builds as just RFI before I tackle a WIP.  What I should do is finish all the WIPs I had prior to stopping/postponing modeling until life settled down.  Thanks for your comments and kind impressions of the build.

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That looks fine to me. Well done.

Thanks for looking and commenting.  Just trying to get back into the saddle after being bucked off.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, DOD said:

Good that you are back and hope it is still enjoyable. Great work on the aircraft and trolley. Not one I have seen before.

I too have got back to aircraft modelling fairly recently and had to learn about this posting malarky. A suggestion I got from the help section was to use Microsoft Onedrive for posting photos and this has turned out easy to use. You get 5gb storage free which should be plenty. Just upload your photos to Onedrive. When you want to insert in a post select embed button and you get different sizes of photo. Simply copy and paste the link of the size you want in the post and Bob is a Male relative.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

David 

I will look at using Microsoft Onedrive, although I really do not like how Microsoft tries to force you to use all of their products to the exclusion of other products/services on the market.  The last part of your post "Bob is a Male relative" had me head scratching.  Looked it up and found "Bob is your uncle" is an English saying in reference to and that's that or a similar reference.  I would assume the Bob is a Male relative is the new politically correct version of the saying?  That's why I like this site so much.  It forces me to learn new things.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 28/03/2022 at 23:28, georgeusa said:

The Aichi M6A1 Seiran, "Clear Sky Storm", was a submarine-launched attack floatplane designed for the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. It was intended to operate from I-400 class submarines whose original mission was to conduct aerial attacks against the United States.  This is the 1/48 Tamiya kit released in 1997.  This is also the first kit I have completed since 2017.  Besides a couple of back operations; fusion of neck vertebra; an entire ankle replacement; a teeny, tiny spot of cancer treatment; and life in general not cooperating; to say my modeling mojo wasn’t working is an understatement.

But, since I must live another 250 years to complete the kits in my stash, thought I might try to get back into the swing of things and see how much of the little I possessed in modeling skills have gone out the window.  What better way than a Tamiya kit that even I would be hard pressed to butcher.

I did not do a work in progress as I was just trying to complete a build OOB.  About the only thing I did to enhance the kit was drill out some lightening holes in the cockpit and a few other odds and ends that you cannot see once finished.  The object was just to finish and see how bad it turned out.

So, without further ado, here is my little gem of a kit of the Seiran.  The kit goes together quite well, and everything fits, even when I put it together.  There are weights in the kit to put in the main floats to keep it from tail setting.  The kit also has a beaching dolly for display purposes.

Since the actual plane did not see any action except for some test flights, I did not do hardly any weathering of the plane itself.  The beaching dolly, however, I figured it was one of many old ones lying around that was used as was handy, so it was done a bit beat up.

As always, all comments are welcome, both good or bad.  It is really nice to have actually finished something and the fingers actually worked to some degree of usefulness.

spacer.png spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Obviously, not only do I have to work on my modeling skills, but my posting skills leave a lot to be desired.  The last time I posted, I was using PhotoBucket and had that hosting site go a bit crazy since I noticed all my prior posts have this awful intrusion by PhotoBucket.  So comments on my limited modeling skills and suggestions on how to post better pictures are both welcomed.  It is good to be back.  Might try another Tamiya kit to make to bolster my missing confidence.

Well done.

Alain

3 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

Thank you.  Not anywhere as prolific as you are.  I model at a snail pace that has polio.  I expect to post a RFI on a 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire sometime this month.  It is at the finishing touches section.

3 hours ago, Keeff said:

Nice job!  Despite your reservations, it looks fine! 

Keith 😁

Thanks for the complement.  I see all the imperfections as I was present at the time I actually messed up.

2 hours ago, Zigomar said:

What did you excpect from a Lone Star State citizen! Great job my friend.

Well thanks there little buckaroo.  I am somewhat the stereotypical Texan with horses, cattle, donkeys, German Shepherds and Belgian Malnois.  Got some barn cats, but they don't count.  Trying to get back into the modeling swing, but am still having some nerve issues in my hands.  Getting to be an old guy basically bites.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...