Swamp orc killaboss

Will Vale

I've not been very good at posting WIPs recently, but as I'm on a bit of a roll of starting things and finishing them, here's one:

51966427507_9f733e819c_b.jpg

It's a random Killaboss from the Dominion box that came out last year for Age of Sigmar. Tall thin orcs with stumpy legs that live in swamps and are cunning and such.

The paint is based on lots of drybrushing with glazes over the top, both for speed and to get some natural texture/untidiness in the skin and cloth. I previously painted these hobgrots/hobgoblins with similar techniques but a warmer finish on the skin:

51308032298_d2c32657e0_b.jpg

I'm not quite sure where the Killaboss is going yet, but hopefully it'll work out.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

Thanks Ross :) I used to be quite sniffy and dubious about edge highlighting but I seem to have adopted it wholeheartedly over the past few years.

I did a whole round of neatening of the highlights and detailing the leather:

51970306474_155b832069_b.jpg
51969016022_7a1dbb23a4_b.jpg

and last night spent an hour (ish) on his face, skin, and nails. All twenty!

51972244423_7a0bb7b178_b.jpg

There aren't any moulded details for the nails but I think it adds a slightly creepy touch so I tend to paint them in on orcs and goblins and the like.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Gradually closing in on "all the bits have colour on" as I've painted the base. This is to go with the "sulphur swamp" ones I did for the hobgoblins, although there's a big moulded piece so I didn't add much. I did spread a bit of texture paint around to get some fine gritty surface over the slightly odd-looking moulded "earth" lumps.

51977921556_0d5d334c72_b.jpg

The dead Stormcast has had some basic colour - dark steel and a mix of Nuln Oil Gloss and Agrax Earthshade over the top - but I won't add any detail until I've done the flat varnish as it'll kill all the metallics.

More excitingly, I painted the shield. I like the yellow option from the rulebook and then realised it might clash with the base rather. I thought about changing but decided to stick with it. 

51977921726_9517b24ff7_b.jpg

Lots of fun to paint! The blue-green bits will be metallic, so they're also waiting for varnish.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I developed the metallics on the base, building up highlights with lighter silvers and then knocking it back with some dark brown lining and dust.

51977506272_5da82b43d2_b.jpg

The water has had a coat of X-22 with a bit of Warp Lightning (green) swirled through it, and then another coat after that for extra shine.

Will

• Like 1

Painting in all the metal bits is always more work than I think it will be, and they tend to be very hard to read especially if you work in the evening. In the light box the different paints show up quite clearly where I didn't blend them, whereas in person the "glint" will hide that.

51983350625_859e1a6ce2_b.jpg

Which is to say there's probably some smoothing required. The small, softly molded bosses on the armour are particularly tricky.

51982801996_86995b3588_b.jpg

51981793927_0dfaab62fc_b.jpg

Pretty happy though! I need to do a bit more weathering to tie things together and then call it a day.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4