Bücker Jungmeister RS model 1/72 Swiss service

Dric

Good day to all !
Im glad to share today a set of pics about the construction of a Bücker Bu-133 Jungmeister from RS Model in 1/72 scale.

The color scheme will be a Swiss one. This funny little plane was use in Switzerland between 1937 and 1968. Some informations about the type in Swiis service may be found here Bü-133 in Switzerland.

The box of the kit (thanks to Scalemate)

Box1%20%28Copier%29.webp?raw=1

And what you will find inside

Box2%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

My goal was to present the aircraft "in maintenance" with metal panel of the front removed, open cockpit doors and open luggage compartment and a visible engine.

After cutting and sanding the interior was furnished with plastic, and metals rods and a photoetched inrtument panel. Colors are adapted for some swiss specific instruments.

Bu-133_1%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Fuselage was closed and a new firewal constructed. The luggage compartment is almos finished at this stage.

Bu133_3%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Recreation time with the engine. I choose to make an almost new Siemens and I keep just the front housing of the RS one. I use some resin cylinders and rearanged them around an "ad hoc" drilled tube.

Bu133_4%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_5%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

You now too that sometime the things are not going as you want 😀...

Bu133_6%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_7%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

FInally not to bad, I will keep it and add some details as magnetos on the rear part of the engine. The big pink things are my fingers 🤏

Bu133_8%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_9%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

For the exhaust collector I used one from Dekno, I borrow it from their SH14 kit, It fit almost perfectly with my sratch engine.

Bu133_10%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_11%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_12%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Next step will be the preparation for the paint shop.

Thanks for looking... if you still reading you are a Bücker Fan 🤣

Edited by Dric
  • Like 7

After some new sanding the cell is almost ready for a first step of painting. And after masking I began the paint job.

I tried to enhance volume with a kind of modulated paint (ligter on the top and darker for the bottom)

I tought a pre-shading with a sand and dark brown color would be a good idea for the bottom,but more on this latter.

Bu133_13%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

The main color is a Tamiya yellow, a resilient enough color for the next steps

Bu133_14%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_15%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

The engine found his place and then I cut masks for the black pattern... it was a funny moment. Red is equally the basic Tamiya color, excellent for swiss flag IMHO

Bu133_16%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

I don't have pics from this step, however the pre-shading was useless, so I made a post-shading with a warmer yellow from AK and a lot of post-it to enhance contrast on fuselage and lower wing ribs.

Then a small varnish to protect evrything and some decals.

I scratched parts of the landing gear with brass as the cabane struts. If you look at the real machine, the location of mine are not 100% accurate, I confess that it's a concession to the feasibility 😇 and begin to add more detail on the engine.

Mount rings for the engine cover, fuel, electric, oil line etc at the rear.

Bu133_17%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

All in one I'm happy with the result of the engine and will keep it, I added a small fuel gauge in front of the pilot.

Bu133_18%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_19%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Time to work on the top wing and to glue it... another funny moment. I havent enough hands to take pics of this stage.

Bu133_20%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Struts are flattened albion tube,

Bu133_21%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Riggging now with some Bob's bucckle and Ushi fine wire.

Bu133_22%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Spacer are fine metal rods, and the leather sleves at the ends of struts are builded with Glue and Glaze from Deluxe before painting

Bu133_23%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

And if you still reading at this point you are really a Bücker fan, thanks !

• Like 6

Time for fixing various scratched doors and make some enhancement with oil juice, pastel and so on.

Adding wheels with thermo formed bumper mud (they are a little bit undersized, bah I will live with), refined airsrcrew and tada !

Bu133_24%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_25%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_26%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Almost done youpee 🥲

Next step will be a small scene.

• Like 10

Buckers are fine looking little aircraft and you've done a fantastic job capturing their dainty nature - I oughta go pick up a few more of the Heller kit - South Africa used a few so I could justify the purchase that way!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octávio Mântua said:

... Can you explain more about this technique?

Hello Octavio, and thanks for your comment.

For the rigging I first drilled various holes in wings and fuselage at all the points where the wires must be fixed (0.3mm drill). It' is nos necessary to go accros the wing (the kit has one piece wing) but if you did it the hole is easy to fill. Then I fixed some metallics buckkle from Bob's Buckles https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/. You can do your own bucckles if you want.

Then I use elastic wire from Ushi https://www.uschivdr.com/.

Cut a longer piece of wire than needed.

With a tweezers pass the wire accros the eyelet and secure it with a small drop of cyano.

Let dry, your wire is now fixed at one extremity.

Stretch the wire on to the other eyelet and pass it inside, Adjust the tension of your wire and glue with another cyano drop.

Cut the unnecessary lenght with a razor blade or a good nail cissor by example and that's it.

I found it's more easy if you put and maintain your model in a jig by example so you can use your two hands for working.

Ah! and for 1/1444 use magnifying glasses 😁 I use it too for larger scale but chuuuut it's a secret

Edited by Dric
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Dric said:

Hello Octavio, and thanks for your comment.

For the rigging I first drilled various holes in wings and fuselage at all the points where the wires must be fixed (0.3mm drill). It' is nos necessary to go accros the wing (the kit has one piece wing) but if you did it the hole is easy to fill. Then I fixed some metallics buckkle from Bob's Buckles https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/. You can do your own bucckles if you want.

Then I use elastic wire from Ushi https://www.uschivdr.com/.

Cut a longer piece of wire than needed.

With a tweezers pass the wire accros the eyelet and secure it with a small drop of cyano.

Let dry, your wire is now fixed at one extremity.

Stretch the wire on to the other eyelet and pass it inside, Adjust the tension of your wire and glue with another cyano drop.

Cut the unnecessary lenght with a razor blade or a good nail cissor by example and that's it.

I found it's more easy if you put and maintain your model in a jig by example so you can use your two hands for working.

Ah! and for 1/1444 use magnifying glasses 😁 I use it too for larger scale but chuuuut it's a secret

Pretty much the same technique I recently used for my 1/48 Jenny, Bob's Buckles and all. More work involved than other rigging methods, but worth it in my opinion. But, I believe my eyes would explode if I tried doing it in 1/72. Well done, sir!

• Thanks 1

The following part of the project is to create a small scenery for the Jungmeister
The first idea wa to put it in front of a metallic hangar door. I tried with paper to see how to place the things on a small wood base.
Bu133_Dio0%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

The next step is to create the door

Bu133_Dio1%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

And the corrogated aluminium sheet
Bu133_Dio2%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

After mounting the door I was not convinced, finding that my ourdoor maintenance scene was not believable.
So I looked for another option and found what I wanted in pictures of the interior of the Altenrein museum hangars near Sain-Gall in Switzerland.
Photos of the Emmen assembly plant also appeared to show cobblestone flooringPhotos of the Emmen assembly plant also appeared to show cobblestone flooring.
I then decided on a cobblestone floor and hangar doors mixing wood and glass, telling me that it would give a nice look with this venerable machine, even if not exactly accurate.

I put a layer of plastic card on my wood base, thick enough to include the door's rail. I glued other plastic part on it (painted with a concrete like texture paint) for a part and glued cobblestone on the remaining surface.
It was the third fun moment in the project....

Bu133_Dio4%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Some juice and lavis will give more life to the soil, I painted a yellow line on the concrete.

I made the doors in two parts as I want to left a small spce between them. The idea was to pinch the transparent part between the two faces of the door, so I can avoid to much masking
Bu133_Dio5%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Inner part is painted first with a light sand color (mat) and colored with watercolor colored pencil (orange, brown etc) the color is mixed and stiped and melted with a small wet brush.
For the outdoor part I used a light grey and added variation in the grey, moisture and rust with pigments, water pencil and enamel juice.
Bu133_Dio6%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

For the windows I used a transparent plastic sheet 0f 0.5mm and put on it masking tape. I used the a cutting plotter to cut the "windows" panes and meticulously remove the masking tape between the panes.
Then I painted first with a grey surfacer and then wit a white paint.
Vitres%201.jpg?raw=1

Thes panels are with 4 windows in height as at first I build a higher door, but I found it too disproportionate with the size of the Bücker. So I made new smalle doors with 3 panes in height.

The scene won't be complete without some accessories, the first idea was to create a working table, but again I was not happy with it. So I plan to do a compressor.
Compress0%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Compress1%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

I will paint it before adding the belt between the electric motor and the steering whell. The main tank come from spare box (a part of a Spitfire bomb load in an old 1/48 Occidental kit)
as the steering wheel which is the wheel flange of the same Spitfire.
The wheels are extract from the Special Hobby Vampire box in 1/72 they too are whell flange.

All in one the scene is starting to look like something
Bu133_Dio9%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_Dio10%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

If you are still reading until now you are, in addition to being a fan of the Bücker, a fan of compressors

Thanks for reading

Edited by Dric
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The long Easter weekend brought some progress

The paint of the compressor has been finalized

20220414_190213%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

20220414_190231%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

I made a crate for the tools

20220415_191529%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

and another for the dismantled covers

20220410_210433%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

with his pallet truck (I'm not sure the word is correct 😊)

20220418_182432%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

The borders of the diorama are made with stickers drawn from photos (reworked with Inkscape) and stuck on pieces of plastic card (0.5mm thick). They are then glued to the base with double-sided tape.

20220418_182724%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

20220418_182740%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

20220418_182754%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

It's now time for on or two small figures

Thanks for reading 😀

Edited by Dric
  • Like 4

On 28/03/2022 at 12:25, Dric said:

Good day to all !
Im glad to share today a set of pics about the construction of a Bücker Bu-133 Jungmeister from RS Model in 1/72 scale.

The color scheme will be a Swiss one. This funny little plane was use in Switzerland between 1937 and 1968. Some informations about the type in Swiis service may be found here Bü-133 in Switzerland.

The box of the kit (thanks to Scalemate)

Box1%20%28Copier%29.webp?raw=1

And what you will find inside

Box2%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

My goal was to present the aircraft "in maintenance" with metal panel of the front removed, open cockpit doors and open luggage compartment and a visible engine.

After cutting and sanding the interior was furnished with plastic, and metals rods and a photoetched inrtument panel. Colors are adapted for some swiss specific instruments.

Bu-133_1%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Fuselage was closed and a new firewal constructed. The luggage compartment is almos finished at this stage.

Bu133_3%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Recreation time with the engine. I choose to make an almost new Siemens and I keep just the front housing of the RS one. I use some resin cylinders and rearanged them around an "ad hoc" drilled tube.

Bu133_4%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_5%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

You now too that sometime the things are not going as you want 😀...

Bu133_6%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_7%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

FInally not to bad, I will keep it and add some details as magnetos on the rear part of the engine. The big pink things are my fingers 🤏

Bu133_8%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_9%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

For the exhaust collector I used one from Dekno, I borrow it from their SH14 kit, It fit almost perfectly with my sratch engine.

Bu133_10%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_11%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Bu133_12%20%28Copier%29.jpg?raw=1

Next step will be the preparation for the paint shop.

Thanks for looking... if you still reading you are a Bücker Fan 🤣

Just one point: on all Jungmeisters I've seen, the exhaust collector ring is symmetrical left-to-right. Planet Models did an asymmetrical collector ring on their 1/32 kit and I wondered which is correct?

47 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Just one point: on all Jungmeisters I've seen, the exhaust collector ring is symmetrical left-to-right. Planet Models did an asymmetrical collector ring on their 1/32 kit and I wondered which is correct?

Thanks for you comment

Maybe the question could be : Is it the same engine ?
The Planet Model collector looks good to me. Now it still possible on some remotorized Bücker that you have a symetrical exhaust collector (do you mean on each side of the cylinder or I misinteprting ?)

I will be realy interessant if you have a link or a picture.

From the manual of Sh14 engine it seem the exhaust collector fixation is only on the right side of the cylinder (looking from front).
Cedric 😀

52 minutes ago, Dric said:

Thanks for you comment

Maybe the question could be : Is it the same engine ?
The Planet Model collector looks good to me. Now it still possible on some remotorized Bücker that you have a symetrical exhaust collector (do you mean on each side of the cylinder or I misinteprting ?)

I will be realy interessant if you have a link or a picture.

From the manual of Sh14 engine it seem the exhaust collector fixation is only on the right side of the cylinder (looking from front).
Cedric 😀

Noted not only on Jungmeisters (original engine) but also on a Stielglitz.

I admit that I cannot answer this question with certainty.

The documentation and the photos that I have used confirm a majority of asymmetrical collectors (like the one from Planet Model).

The symmetrical one remains a mystery to me at least for Bramo Siemens Sh14 engine 🤔

Anyway, there is here a nice video of an Sh14 mounted on a Fw-44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljgWlbOjKo

• Dric changed the title to Bücker Jungmeister RS model 1/72 Swiss service