Trumpeter 1/350 RN Fiume

I shotly fineshed one of Trumpeter´s most recent kits, the beautiful Italian Heavy Cruiser Fiume. While the combat record of most Italian surface ships (inculding this one) is rather underwhelming, there is no denying these were exceptionally beautiful ships, elegant, slim and a pleasure to look at. Actually, one might say there are just like Italy itself, and certainly like Italian women (I am quite charmed by Italy, as you might have guessed). In fact, the wish to build the ship came after I had spent a beautiful vacation in northern Italy with my father.

This was pretty much an out of the box build, I added the gunbarrels from Master, added self-made signal lights, oars and an achor chain. I also replaced most of the mast with metal parts, as the kit part was flimsy and would not have supported the rigging. The kit is great fun to build and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who want a truly sexy ship.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 43

Lovely build,  very clean and tidy,  like how you've got the candy stripes on the foredeck. Think you've got the colours for the red spot on,  it's often done too bright but yours looks just right. I've her sister Zara in the stash waiting her turn and I'll be chuffed if she comes out as yours

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi there!

Apologies for dragging you back into this topic and also if my question has already been answered previously but what colour / brand of paint did you use on your Fiume for the overall light grey on the hull and superstructure? I like the shade of it very much. Thank you in advance.

Karl

• Like 1

Also a bit late to see this...Beautiful ship, and a pristine presentation. The rigging and PE in particular look very sharp, really well done👏👏👏

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDB said:

Hi there!

Apologies for dragging you back into this topic and also if my question has already been answered previously but what colour / brand of paint did you use on your Fiume for the overall light grey on the hull and superstructure? I like the shade of it very much. Thank you in advance.

Karl

I used "Vallejo Air" for the entire model; I think the hull&superstructure is "light grey". 

• 4 weeks later...

Really a great job, I like a lot! :clap2:

If I may afford a little tip for your next Italian ship, the Italian flag always has the green close to the mast, not the red as Trumpeter mistakenly has done. :D

Ciao.

Davide

• Thanks 2

On 23/04/2023 at 19:14, davmarx said:

Really a great job, I like a lot! :clap2:

If I may afford a little tip for your next Italian ship, the Italian flag always has the green close to the mast, not the red as Trumpeter mistakenly has done. :D

Ciao.

Davide

Thanks for tha clarification. I had looked at photos of the time, but in Black&White pictures green and red are nearly impossible to tell apart. And Trumpeter, as always, is not to be trusted!

• Like 1

Superb and such a beautiful ship - even the long railing runs just look better and Thim216 is right about the grey-green hull- red and white stripes combination looks so good. Lovely ship's boats as well.

You are right about Italy - have you been to the Sud Tyrol? Swiss scenery, Italian food and German organisation, best of all worlds!

• Like 2

I fully agree to what you say about the elegance and beauty of Italian ships - and the fairer sex. For example the Littorio-class battleships - they were just too beautiful to fight with! ;) I found that page showing the interior design of the ROMA: https://www.carlocestra.com/patreon/rn_roma/sala_consiglio_VRTour/tour.html Enjoy with a glass of wine!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1