Colour of track links as appliqué armour?

Robert Stuart

Hello
I'm building a Sherman Firefly as part of the current M3/M4 GB, and have a question that might be answered here...

The vehicle I'm basing my build on was a Firefly with track links welded to the hull front and to the turret sides.
img_57-2.jpg?itok=OICfiIW9

Given that these tracks were welded on, would they have been left in their natural colour, factory finish, or would they have been painted to match the vehicle?

I am aware of this thread

But that discusses track in its normal, around the wheels, configuration, and doesn't address the appliqué armour question.

• Robert Stuart changed the title to Colour of track links as appliqué armour?

As they would have been field applied by the crew rather than at a factory level, go with a track colour. The tracks were probably scavenged from a wrecked/wrecking vehicle and as such, I would not paint them exactly the same as the tracks on the Firefly that you are modelling.

Tracks as appliqué armour and its value as armour is a question of much debate. Physiological value for the crew, definitely. Actual added armour protection, definitely not. My opinion entirely of course.

Hope this helps.